135,193+ Members
   Get Started   Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
IREF® Real Estate in India - Property Discussion
IREF® - Indian Real Estate Forum > Real Estate in India > Real Estate Noida > Short term capital gain on Sale of House property
Please see and share our IREF promotional video!
Like Tree2Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 28 2012, 01:46 PM   #21
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Noida
Posts: 1,592
Likes Received: 441
Likes Given: 86
Default

guys - can we come back to the original discussion point regarding planning of taxes on Short term capital gain...would be really helpful for lot of people incl me!!!

Thx

  Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2012, 01:56 PM   #22
 
 
Cookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 16,679
Likes Received: 2788
Likes Given: 2809
My Mood: Amused
Default

Guys

I have a query.
in a given situation: I got the possession of my flat 3 years back and registery got done 2 year back . when I sell my flat now after 3 years when I took possession., can I save tax on long term capital gain by investing the gain in residential?
__________________
Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2012, 02:12 PM   #23
 
purple's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 593
Likes Received: 111
Likes Given: 91
My Mood: Angelic
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
Guys

I have a query.
in a given situation: I got the possession of my flat 3 years back and registery got done 2 year back . when I sell my flat now after 3 years when I took possession., can I save tax on long term capital gain by investing the gain in residential?
yes you can save all the long term capital gain tax by reinvesting the whole amount into residential property with 2 years after sale of property . Or u can buy bonds (upto 50lacs) with that money to save LTCG ON THE SALE of your property with in 6 months from the date of sale.
  Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2012, 02:17 PM   #24
 
 
Cookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 16,679
Likes Received: 2788
Likes Given: 2809
My Mood: Amused
Icon18

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple View Post
yes you can save all the long term capital gain tax by reinvesting the whole amount into residential property with 2 years after sale of property . Or u can buy bonds (upto 50lacs) with that money to save LTCG ON THE SALE of your property with in 6 months from the date of sale.
thanks for reply.
is it not 3 years at least?
  Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2012, 02:23 PM   #25
 
purple's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 593
Likes Received: 111
Likes Given: 91
My Mood: Angelic
Default

after the purchase of property till 3 years it is short term capital gain and after that it is long term capital gain . And within 2 years one have to reinvest in any residential property to save on LTCG completely . Or either invest in ( specific bonds) (but this could be upto 50 lacs) . Or if there is any shot term capital loss from share market or any other kind that can be used to offset both ( STCG and LTCG)
  Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2012, 02:27 PM   #26
 
 
Cookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 16,679
Likes Received: 2788
Likes Given: 2809
My Mood: Amused
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple View Post
after the purchase of property till 3 years it is short term capital gain and after that it is long term capital gain . And within 2 years one have to reinvest in any residential property to save on LTCG completely . Or either invest in ( specific bonds) (but this could be upto 50 lacs) . Or if there is any shot term capital loss from share market or any other kind that can be used to offset both ( STCG and LTCG)
thanks bhai
  Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2012, 03:49 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 622
Likes Received: 69
Likes Given: 74
Default

I am looking for guidance on calculation of Short Term Capital Gain.

Previous replies in this thread says that below list of items can be deducted while calculating STCG. Please confirm.

1. Brokerage Paid.
2. Interest Paid to the Bank on loan.
3. Transfer Fees to the builder

Please tell me if there are any other expenses which can be deducted or these are the only 3 items.
  Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2012, 01:20 AM   #28
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Noida
Posts: 1,592
Likes Received: 441
Likes Given: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyboy View Post
I am looking for guidance on calculation of Short Term Capital Gain.

Previous replies in this thread says that below list of items can be deducted while calculating STCG. Please confirm.

1. Brokerage Paid.
2. Interest Paid to the Bank on loan.
3. Transfer Fees to the builder

Please tell me if there are any other expenses which can be deducted or these are the only 3 items.
I am not sure if '2. Interest Paid to the Bank on loan' is deductible...also, if interest paid on borrowed money from frnds/ relatives can be adjusted agst the stcg...

However, stcg is added to the individuals tax slab and stcl/ ltcl can be adjusted agst it...so accordingly one can think of booking some loss (in equity/ house property etc)...but not too many avenues...i left couple of good deals myself as buyer wasnt willing to pay much of cash premium or bear the tax impact...better be in compliance!!!
jollyboy likes this.
  Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2012, 12:37 PM   #29
Veteran Member
 
fatichar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,592
Likes Received: 1349
Likes Given: 242
Default

IMO,

selling an under construction property is neither STCG nor LTCG. It is plain extra income. For STCG, you have to sell a house. An under construction flat is not called a house at all. It is just a booking/agreement. It becomes your house only when you register it. That day is the birth day of the house. Applying house laws to it is like applying citizen's laws to fetus.

So, if it is just additional income, all the expenses that went in earning it should be deducted to arrive at net profit.
getsumit123 likes this.
  Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 03:55 PM   #30
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 70
Likes Received: 6
Likes Given: 18
Default

No clear guidance from IT on under construction property but based on judget of few cases, holding a flat booking for more than 3 years will come under LTCG.

Interest treatment is done differently & cant be set off against STCG. Only brokerage, transfer charges are eligible for deduction out of STCG.

One can book short term equity loss options to set off STCG - e.g. using bonus options. Do google or check caclub portal for more details or get in touch with a CA.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Join IREF Now!    
Related Threads
Long Term Capital Gain
Long term capital gain calculation on property?
Capital Gain Tax :- Long Term Vs Short Term
Long Term Capital Gain – Deduction of cost of new property purchased prior to sale of
want to know about short term and lonag term capital tax on sale of flat


Tags
capital, gain, house, property, sale, short, term
     

Real Estate in India | Delhi - NCR | Gurgaon | Noida | Greater Noida | Mumbai | Pune | Bangalore | Chennai | Kolkata | Hyderabad | Ahmedabad | Goa
Ghaziabad | Faridabad | Chandigarh | Jaipur | Lucknow | Nagpur | Bhubaneswar | Coimbatore | Indore | Kerala | Surat | Vadodara

Home | About IREF® | Forum Rules | Real Estate Glossary | Terms and Conditions | Copyright Infringement Policy
Copyright © 2006-2014 www.indianrealestateforum.com All Rights Reserved.


".Noida.", ".Uttar Pradesh."India