Bangalore is a brand name synonymous with the IT industry in India.
Now with its name changing to Bengalooru will the same brand appeal hold?

The other aspect to be considered is the cost of this name change. Is it worth the whole exercise?

Experts say that the cost will run into crores but the government claims it will be negligible and will uphold people's sentiments.

Over the next few days and months people working with MNCs and IT industries mainly who have international presence will have to spend time changing their visiting cards and the name records.

Also perhaps teaching their business counterparts across the world on how exactly to pronounce the newly acquired name of the IT city of India.
Read more
3 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • How justified is the name-changing business.

Karnataka has opted to celebrate its 50th anniversary of statehood on November 1, 2006 by renaming its cities.

Its not only Bangalore that has been officially renamed Bengalooru; other major cities of the state are also going to shed their 'Anglicized ' versions.

Mysore will be Mysooru,
    Mangalore will Mangalooru,
    Shimoga will be Shivamogga,
    Hubli will be Hubballi
    Belgaum will be Belagaavi.

But I wonder at a time when our cities are booming & making a great leap towards a 'great ' future. How justified is the name-changing business. After all its the state's treasury thats being lightened.... Could'nt the money being put to better use other than sticking to sentiments like this......
    CommentQuote
  • But I wonder at a time when our cities are booming & making a great leap towards a 'great ' future. How justified is the name-changing business.
    I certainly believe that this should not take place considering the amount of money spent in the name changing process. Also, the brand "Bangalore" would lose its value..and it takes a hell lot of time for people to adhere to the new name...
    CommentQuote
  • Bangalore is a brand name synonymous with the IT industry in India.

I strongly believe that this kind of changes will affect the city's economy and progress. Because "Bangalore" had become a global brand and the new name is difficult to pronounce for everyone except kannada speakers. ;)

It my request to karnatak government, please contribute their valuable times in social welfare and enrich people lives instead of doing work of changing names….
    CommentQuote