Hi All,

This thread is to discuss when is the best time to sell an apartment bought purely for investment purpose and how ?

Please share your opinion/tips.

Thanks,
Read more
11 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Originally Posted by snowfall
    Hi All,

This thread is to discuss when is the best time to sell an apartment bought purely for investment purpose and how ?

Please share your opinion/tips.

Thanks,

Try to pay the entire amount to the builder at the time possession and delay the registration, once every one occupy the premises try to sell the apartment and directly register the apartment in the name of new buyer.RM new apartments always give you good returns.
    CommentQuote
  • Thanks swamiR..
    so is it,
    1) pay VAT,ST etc (all extra charges) except registration charges and then sell it
    OR
    2) pay basic cost+car parking only and then sell it
    how does it work?

also there is this short term capital gain, long term capital gain, etc..
    can u elaborate a bit more on these too ?
    CommentQuote
  • snowfall:
    1. select good brand
    2. enter in pre launch
    3. sell pre registration and after atleast 30% occupancy
    CommentQuote
  • pp1951,

pre registration selling: does it include VAT,ST and other extras payment except registration charges?
    CommentQuote
  • Some one told me that the capital gains tax is more when you transact 'pre registration' property ?

So legally, all these so called investor transactions are equivalent to domestic money laundering ( because none of them pays capital gain tax) and are economic offenses.

I also am aware that the capital gain tax is going to very sharply increase once the real estate regulator kicks in and very stringent laws will be enforced ( revaluation is one of them). Basically capital gains tax will be collected based on govt evaluation of the property. Already, due to escalation in land prices ( govt evaluation), the gap between buy and sell prices ( profit ) has narrowed out.
    CommentQuote
  • good thread.. even I wanted to know more about how to make investor transactions legally.. RE experts can you share your thoughts more about this? Thanks,
    CommentQuote
  • In india all this transactions pre-registration or post-registration happen in CASH.
    Seller ask's for Amount equivalent to capital gain in CASH
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by krishna2
    In india all this transactions pre-registration or post-registration happen in CASH.
    Seller ask's for Amount equivalent to capital gain in CASH

I think that is where the regulator is going to come into picture. They might be watching every transaction of property - any thing spooky , will be subjected to screening. One can never escape govt even if it is cash payment. Like SEBI has certain investigative methods, this RE regulator too will have. For all you know , each transaction might go through the RE regulator once it kicks in.

Unless the person pays every thing in cash ( hidden in his mattress) and the receiving person takes it and hides it in mattress. Once caught, there will be music.

With more and more awareness and people like Kejriwal movement, things are going to be interesting.
    CommentQuote
  • I would like to make all transactions white, no cash.. so in such cases, is it still worth selling before registration? Is it short term gain? and how much tax would I have to pay?
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by snowfall
    I would like to make all transactions white, no cash.. so in such cases, is it still worth selling before registration? Is it short term gain? and how much tax would I have to pay?

I suppose it is 15% of your profit ( unless you reinvest that within a span of a financial year or some such) for short term. But this is old information. Good idea to check with a tax consultant. There are some very intricate clauses I was told.
    CommentQuote
  • snowfall: VAT will be collected along with every installment. Hence this to be incorporated in your cost while computing tax I suppose - needs verification with Chartered Accountant. However your point is to maximise ROI and my option will work out to be the best optionof:
    1. select good brand
    2. enter in pre launch
    3. sell pre registration and after atleast 30% occupancy

Regarding Income Tax you may note that the transaction will happen over 2.5 to 3.5 years and accordingly viewed for taxation. Even taking this it still makes sense from Investment point and Income Tax is only a logical fallout of having had capital gain!
    CommentQuote