Reflection: 2000 to 2010

Guys once again we are at the end of another eventful decade (2000 to 2010)

Many of us have been in the forum for about 3 years.

Let us all take a breather and reflect on the past decade and the impact on the economy, real-estate, population growth, inflation wages etc etc:

This eventful decade started with substantial fear of a global IT meltdown - Y2K Bug. There were doomsday predictions everywhere people were buying candles and canned food, emptied their bank account and held cash (Including my flat mate who was a network architect at IBM)

Once Y2K turned out to be a fizzer doomsayers were saying most Indian IT professionals from US will be sent home as Y2K is now fixed and they are not needed 9in turn Chennai RE market would collapse due to lack of remittance).

Then came spectacular destruction of Twin Tower by terrorist and as we know global political landscape changed since that day of 9/11/01.War in Afghanistan and Iraq. Doomsayers were at it again predicting exodus of gulf workers and reduction in NRI remittance for property investments.

Then we had nuclear stand off with Pakistan as Indian Parliament was at siege by terrorist attack. Doomsayer were predicting halt of overseas investment in India as it is unsafe market.

Humongous Tsunami showed it power on Indian costs and many parts of Asia – Doomsayers were at it again predicting no one will property in costal locations and cities. ECR & OMR was predicted to crash.

Then 2007 GFC that resulted in the collapse of large financial institutions, the bailout of banks by national governments and downturns in markets around the world, etc etc, etc. Once again doomsayers were out with end of the world predictions.

Guys, what has happened in the past 10 years in relation to:

Chennai RE market.
                Income of Chennai residence
                Population of Chennai (rural migration).
                Infrastructure of Chennai (airport, roads, ports etc)
                Cost of commodities (onions, cement, Iron, rice),rent, wages.
                Overseas/National Investments in to Industries in Chennai region (Auto, IT, Health, Chemical etc)

I am eager to hear your unbiased views, experience and knowledge on the above.

Kindly avoid extra large verbiage with high level financial jargons and heavily spun web of connections/Links (such as Siberian oil export to Iceland and Obama type connections)

As I am a layman and I am unwise to understand complicated response.

Read more
8 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Slow and steady - Chennai is known for this phrase for decades. But it appreas too slow and lagging in RE growth when compared to Mumbai, Delhi & Bengaluru.

If you analyse chennai in particular between 2000 to 2010 and compare it with rest of the metro - the above fact will be visible apparently.
    CommentQuote
  • There is still great potential for development of Chennai even after 2010, so it is not full stop already.

There is some things which can however spoil the urban development of Chennai. High inflation rate, high interest rates, strict loan credit policies of some banks etc.Something is wrong with the world. In US where people are losing jobs interest rates and inflation are very low. In India where so many young people are working interest rates, inflation are very high.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Economist

Let us all take a breather and reflect on the past decade and the impact on the economy, real-estate, population growth, inflation wages etc etc:

This eventful decade started with substantial fear of a global IT meltdown - Y2K Bug. There were doomsday predictions everywhere people were buying candles and canned food, emptied their bank account and held cash (Including my flat mate who was a network architect at IBM)

Once Y2K turned out to be a fizzer doomsayers were saying most Indian IT professionals from US will be sent home as Y2K is now fixed and they are not needed 9in turn Chennai RE market would collapse due to lack of remittance).

Then came spectacular destruction of Twin Tower by terrorist and as we know global political landscape changed since that day of 9/11/01.War in Afghanistan and Iraq. Doomsayers were at it again predicting exodus of gulf workers and reduction in NRI remittance for property investments.

Then we had nuclear stand off with Pakistan as Indian Parliament was at siege by terrorist attack. Doomsayer were predicting halt of overseas investment in India as it is unsafe market.

Humongous Tsunami showed it power on Indian costs and many parts of Asia – Doomsayers were at it again predicting no one will property in costal locations and cities. ECR & OMR was predicted to crash.

Then 2007 GFC that resulted in the collapse of large financial institutions, the bailout of banks by national governments and downturns in markets around the world, etc etc, etc. Once again doomsayers were out with end of the world predictions.

Chennai RE market.
                  Overseas/National Investments in to Industries in Chennai region (Auto, IT, Health, Chemical etc)

Kindly avoid extra large verbiage with high level financial jargons and heavily spun web of connections/Links (such as Siberian oil export to Iceland and Obama type connections)

Thats real funny (the highlighted part). I like the way u put up things & yr. sense of humor. Good piece of writing.

Thats real funny (the highlighted part). I like the way u put up things & yr. sense of humor. Good piece of writing.

CommentQuote
  • My rational observations w.r.t. chennai (and India) in last decade are:

1. Industry and economy have grown multifold. TN has enjoyed stable governance, inspite of coalition. Lot of new industrial manufacturing facilities and service facilities have come up. So, lots of employment opportunities. In fact, the trend is that now job seekers from North and West are coming down to Chennai to work. All these are likely to continue and momentum in economy will be maintained.

2. So, there's growth in earning potential; purchasing capacity; no. of nucleus family seeking individual homes; potential for rental due to large influx of outsiders.

3. Chennai RE prices did not escalate like Mumbai, Delhi (even B'lore); and hence did not fall as well during 2008-09. (The reasons may also include holding capacity of builders, owners).

4. Assuming FDIs exit from RE, still local demand for housing is far ahead of supply and FIs and individuals have the capacity to buy. So, at best, exit of FDI will stagnate and slightly correct the market.

5. Chennai has the right mix of industry, viz., manufacturing, IT, services, trade and corporate mncs, and a investment-friendly government (both DMK, ADMK). Opportunity for growth in economy is high, probably next only to Mumbai.

6. Challenge for Chennai RE industry is road/rail infrastructure in suburban areas, civic amenities like water and sewege. If the govt can address these very basic issues, the city will witness multifold increase in RE prices.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Economist

Chennai RE market.

Chennai alone Tamil Nadu ?

May be my plot (near Chennai) price may increase and my flat price also... But Chennai alone Tamil Nadu ??

Metro Rail - RS 14,000 Crores
                  Coovum Cleaing - RS 1200 Crores (Joke of this Century).
                  Adyar Park - RS 100 Crores
                  Koturpuram Library - Rs 100 Crores
                  Chennai Airport expansion - Rs 2200 Crores

Bridges
                  Guindy Kathipara
                  Airport bridge
                  Padi
                  Koyambedu
                  Perambur
                  Pallavaram
                  Mogappair
                  VyasarPadi.... etc etc.
                  Greenfield Sriperumbuthur Airport - Multi Crore

If the TN govt spends atleast Rs 1000 crores each for infrastructure development in Kovai, Madurai, Trichy, Nellai and Salem.... the migration to Chennai can be controlled.

And the state govt is NOT willing to allot single Rupee for the Chennai Kanyakumari double line (Rail track). And NOT fighting the central govt for this.Guindy Kathipara
                  Airport bridge
                  Padi
                  Koyambedu
                  Perambur
                  Pallavaram
                  Mogappair
                  VyasarPadi.... etc etc.

If the TN govt spends atleast Rs 1000 crores each for infrastructure development in Kovai, Madurai, Trichy, Nellai and Salem.... the migration to Chennai can be controlled.

And the state govt is NOT willing to allot single Rupee for the Chennai Kanyakumari double line (Rail track). And NOT fighting the central govt for this.Guindy Kathipara
                  Airport bridge
                  Padi
                  Koyambedu
                  Perambur
                  Pallavaram
                  Mogappair
                  VyasarPadi.... etc etc.

Airport bridge
                  Padi
                  Koyambedu
                  Perambur
                  Pallavaram
                  Mogappair
                  VyasarPadi.... etc etc.

Airport bridge
                  Padi
                  Koyambedu
                  Perambur
                  Pallavaram
                  Mogappair
                  VyasarPadi.... etc etc.

Airport bridge
                  Padi
                  Koyambedu
                  Perambur
                  Pallavaram
                  Mogappair
                  VyasarPadi.... etc etc.

Airport bridge
                  Padi
                  Koyambedu
                  Perambur
                  Pallavaram
                  Mogappair
                  VyasarPadi.... etc etc.

Airport bridge
                  Padi
                  Koyambedu
                  Perambur
                  Pallavaram
                  Mogappair
                  VyasarPadi.... etc etc.

Airport bridge
                  Padi
                  Koyambedu
                  Perambur
                  Pallavaram
                  Mogappair
                  VyasarPadi.... etc etc.

Airport bridge
                  Padi
                  Koyambedu
                  Perambur
                  Pallavaram
                  Mogappair
                  VyasarPadi.... etc etc.

Airport bridge
                  Padi
                  Koyambedu
                  Perambur
                  Pallavaram
                  Mogappair
                  VyasarPadi.... etc etc.

Airport bridge
                  Padi
                  Koyambedu
                  Perambur
                  Pallavaram
                  Mogappair
                  VyasarPadi.... etc etc.

Airport bridge
                  Padi
                  Koyambedu
                  Perambur
                  Pallavaram
                  Mogappair
                  VyasarPadi.... etc etc.

Airport bridge
                  Padi
                  Koyambedu
                  Perambur
                  Pallavaram
                  Mogappair
                  VyasarPadi.... etc etc.

Airport bridge
                  Padi
                  Koyambedu
                  Perambur
                  Pallavaram
                  Mogappair
                  VyasarPadi.... etc etc.

Airport bridge
                  Padi
                  Koyambedu
                  Perambur
                  Pallavaram
                  Mogappair
                  VyasarPadi.... etc etc.

Airport bridge
                  Padi
                  Koyambedu
                  Perambur
                  Pallavaram
                  Mogappair
                  VyasarPadi.... etc etc.

Airport bridge
                  Padi
                  Koyambedu
                  Perambur
                  Pallavaram
                  Mogappair
                  VyasarPadi.... etc etc.

Airport bridge
                  Padi
                  Koyambedu
                  Perambur
                  Pallavaram
                  Mogappair
                  VyasarPadi.... etc etc.

Airport bridge
                  Padi
                  Koyambedu
                  Perambur
                  Pallavaram
                  Mogappair
                  VyasarPadi.... etc etc.

Airport bridge
                  Padi
                  Koyambedu
                  Perambur
                  Pallavaram
                  Mogappair
                  VyasarPadi.... etc etc.

Airport bridge
                  Padi
                  Koyambedu
                  Perambur
                  Pallavaram
                  Mogappair
                  VyasarPadi.... etc etc.

Airport bridge
                  Padi
                  Koyambedu
                  Perambur
                  Pallavaram
                  Mogappair
                  VyasarPadi.... etc etc.

Airport bridge
                  Padi
                  Koyambedu
                  Perambur
                  Pallavaram
                  Mogappair
                  VyasarPadi.... etc etc.

Airport bridge
                  Padi
                  Koyambedu
                  Perambur
                  Pallavaram
                  Mogappair
                  VyasarPadi.... etc etc.

Airport bridge
                  Padi
                  Koyambedu
                  Perambur
                  Pallavaram
                  Mogappair
                  VyasarPadi.... etc etc.

Airport bridge
                  Padi
                  Koyambedu
                  Perambur
                  Pallavaram
                  Mogappair
                  VyasarPadi.... etc etc.

Airport bridge
                  Padi
                  Koyambedu
                  Perambur
                  Pallavaram
                  Mogappair
                  VyasarPadi.... etc etc.

Airport bridge
                  Padi
                  Koyambedu
                  Perambur
                  Pallavaram
                  Mogappair
                  VyasarPadi.... etc etc.

And the state govt is NOT willing to allot single Rupee for the Chennai Kanyakumari double line (Rail track). And NOT fighting the central govt for this.
    CommentQuote
  • Introspection of a decade and future without verbiage?Not possible by me.I will try to keep this short.Kindly excuse my rant.

In the past decade, I feel we have had upheaval of various sorts at several levels.

I would put it this way.India-Especially the middle class has been building muscle power on steriods and flexing it proudly in front of the world.

Thanks to globalisation and opening up of our economy, our society has witnessed lots of development in very short span of time.It has helped many to realise their financial independence reducing their dependability on relatives and joint-families income and completely overcome economic/regional/caste divide for survival.

What this has done is has also escalated the society's expectations on an individual to follow a well laid path to achieve good education, join good paying job that enables to acquire food,clothes and shelter, later plan a family and life upto and after retirement.

To give a perspective - During my parents time it was graduate or post-graduate in arts/science?during my time - Engineer or Doctor?Now people are planning their kids to do MS in U.S? MBA in Australia? MD in London?

So, it encourages the majority to stay compliant with the system and keep aiming higher.To go up wherever it takes you or fall along with it.Since we are riding on the growth story of a country, it gives a reason to believe thats the right thing to do and not try and do anything different and risk being named a rebel or unsuccessful misfit.

Whilst money is coming to India from everywhere wanting to tap into the booming service industry, The metro's are witnessing migration from other places and population implosion chasing better accessibilty and opportunity to excel among peers without having to do anything different.

So?what can go wrong?Just like effets of steriods - It leads to abnormal unproportionate growth and impotency.The poor get more deprived as the rich get richer and when and if the system breaks down due to the inherent nature, It could lead to a lost generation.

Presently we are in the lower end of the supply chain, extremely complacent and satisfied by servicing demand international and domestic.The system doesnt encourage you to question or explore.In this fast world, one can become outdated before knowing what hit them.

The lack of survival skills and lack of motivation to innovate, pioneer in technological inventions, spend in research and development doesnt help either.To me personally, The attitude and ignorance around is very disturbing.In this abnormal time I prepare myself to stay aware to stay ahead.

Coming back to RE, I have believed and also have opined here several times.Wanting to have a place you can call your own is a primal instinct.Its like the alpha male marking its territory to establish superiority.Everyone would want to own a house, if they can afford.

Economic scenerio and income will decide the affordability and the general price levels of a location relatively according to the then demand and value of rupee.RE market price mover has always been affordability.Sentiments only prepones or postpones the buying decision.

Chennai in my opinion is a world-class city in the making.Geographically and demographically the benefits far surpasses the negatives.It has the right balance and mix of different industries and people, great educational instituitions, best hospitals, efficient harbour, great connectivity,some added attractions like second longest beach, untapped east coast road etc.Even the minuses like water scarcity, traffic congestions are being addressed.Very good infrastructure has been planned by successive governments keeping in mind the future growth of the city.Faster the implementation and politics aside, sooner the dream to see Chennai like Singapore or New york will be realized.
    CommentQuote
  • Hi,

We should not worry about what Ben Bernanke says or what Pauk Krugman says or what Nouriel Roubini says or what Alan Greenspan says.

We should think about our country also.. Our land, our Agri, our environment, the pollution etc, etc.

I am not only earning/saving/investing for my future. I have save the Earth to my children and Grand children also. I can not spoil the earth for the sake of my intrest.

In the last century there was a man called Mohandas K. Gandhi.

He went to London on September 4, 1888.

For what ? London tour ? NO.

To get a barrister degree. Like our guys after their B.E they go to West for MS or MS after an MBBS :)

And returned to India in 1891 after earning his degree.

Then he went to South Africa in 1893......... For what ? African Safari ?

No, to practice law and earn MONEY.

Like our youngsters go to USA, Europe to make money.

Gandhi worked with THILLAIYADI VALLIAMMAI for the Africans rights.

But he returned to India in the year 1914.

Somebody in the forum may raise a question... Why this idiot Gandhi did not return to India bit early and fight for us ?

My question to all the Economists is (may be they know some History also)...

How many Britishers were there in India when they were ruling our Country ?

How many Indians fought for the freedom ?
    This is not related to Chennai RE. But please join any organisation which fights against corruption.

Our corrupted money is 10 times more than our Budget deficit.

Please join.. let us unite... let us fight for our future generation.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by nabishek

To give a perspective - During my parents time it was graduate or post-graduate in arts/science?during my time - Engineer or Doctor?Now people are planning their kids to do MS in U.S? MBA in Australia? MD in London?

Completely agree with this. Aspiring for better education is the best decision we should make and encourage. Education is the best expenditure, and more the education more the goodwill knowledge will bring to individual and economy. 3 decades ago Indians could afford only graduate degree, since 2000 with more engineering colleges opening people could afford engineering degree and because of having more new engineering colleges our IT industry has created a economic revolution and made us a true knowledge economy. Now if more Indians can afford global higher education from best global universities, it means the best MNCs in the world will be headed by Indians ( E.G: Anshu Jain who recently got promoted as head one of the strongest Banks Deutsche Bank).

So we must be proud and that is the best to happen to India. If we were to have the highest number of Phds that's the best to happen to India, the more educated we get the better we will become.
    CommentQuote