Hi

We found a land(in a layout) near sea in Madras and liked it very much . When we took the documents to a lawyer the following 2 were his concerns:

1. The plot is panchayat approved and it does not have DTCP approval . According to the lawyer, panchayat approval is nothing more than 4/5 guys in a committee approving a land and nothing more and come next panchayat election the new guys can create some issues.

Do you know if panchayat approved lands can be bought and if its safe to construct a house without any future risks? Also how difficult is to get a DTCP approval? Does the layout guy needs to get it or individual plot owners can get?
Also how expensive it is

2. Also there seems to be no clarity in the sellers power of attorney. So do you think if the land has other documents (parent,EC,patta) in place safe to buy this plot ?

I know lot of questions but kind of confused since we dont want to take any 'Major' risks when buying a land through applying a loan here in the US

Thanks
GV
Read more
7 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Panchayat land can not be bought, however u can go in for Lease, but, that also depends from state to state. Like, in haryana u can lease panchayat land for cultivation but construction is not allowed.
    It is better to clarify all these issues before u go in for this deal.
    Regards
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by gvi
    Hi

We found a land(in a layout) near sea in Madras and liked it very much . When we took the documents to a lawyer the following 2 were his concerns:

1. The plot is panchayat approved and it does not have DTCP approval . According to the lawyer, panchayat approval is nothing more than 4/5 guys in a committee approving a land and nothing more and come next panchayat election the new guys can create some issues.

Do you know if panchayat approved lands can be bought and if its safe to construct a house without any future risks? Also how difficult is to get a DTCP approval? Does the layout guy needs to get it or individual plot owners can get?
    Also how expensive it is

2. Also there seems to be no clarity in the sellers power of attorney. So do you think if the land has other documents (parent,EC,patta) in place safe to buy this plot ?

I know lot of questions but kind of confused since we dont want to take any 'Major' risks when buying a land through applying a loan here in the US

Thanks
    GV

Hi,

Generally layouts of less than 75 cents (Total area of the development), CMDA, DTCP or corporation approval can be avoided. But please note that this approval is only for the layput sub division. When you build a building, there are norms for each category and you may have to go to CMDA /DTCP.

Please check the sale deed, parent documents, patta, chitta, adangal, A register and 30 years EC with the help of your lawyer before committing. Power of Attorney, if not registered has to be checked for its authenticity.
    If unclear, ask your lawyer to give ads in newspapers and go through the respective legal process.

Anyhow, please be very careful as there are lots of unscrupulous guys trying to sell disputed lands in the market.
    CommentQuote
  • Approved Layout

It makes me feel funny that many folks buy land in Chennai which are not approved, specifically CMDA or DTCP. Panchayat approval is a joke, but in the current boom folks do anything. A few months ago a broker was trying to encourage me sell my approved land in ECR for a song. I said I can give if for more than double the price, but he said DTCP approval is not CMDA approval etc. and Panchayat approval is the same. Please be sure, if my land costs say 1Cr if approved a Panchayat land will go for 40L, but I will be a fool to buy for 40L or even 10L an unapproved land. I will rather take the 10L and dump it in the sea instead. CRZ is a classical example of how in the ECR area there are so many pieces of land which are actually dangerous to buy. No doubt houses are built on these but well u can build house on peramboke or govt land also till u r evicted.
    In summary buy approved land and ONLY approved land unless u r a backdoor trader in realestate.
    CommentQuote
  • Be very careful. Whatever money u pay for non approved land is as good to be thrown a little distance away in the sea. In ECR in Palavakkam for example a Panchayat land will be available for 55L to 75L, while an approved land will fetch 1.3L upwards. I will not buy the Panchayat land rather I will buy land inside the sea for free!!!
    CommentQuote
  • Better understanding

I would like to enlist help of members in understanding the Approved Vs unapproved lands in Chennai.

I notice that all along ECR, there are just a very few layouts that are actually CMDA/DTCP approved and all else is called unapproved. While those within 500m will not get any approvals, I do not understand why the lands beyond 500m also are not getting approvals. I hear that CMDA has stopped giving approvals after 2002. Is that true. I am aware that there is a lot of activity going on even now in selling/buying either approved or unapproved.

Summing up, my questions are as follows -

(i) What does it take to get approval of land that is beyond 500m from sea.
    Is CMDA giving approvals now and if so how much does it cost and how long.

(ii) There are many houses being constructed less than 500m from sea. While no bank is willing to finance these with loans, do I get these lands registered and do I pay house tax? What is the precise difference between unapproved within 500m and approved beyond if both go thro the "registration process" "house tax" etc.

Thanks in advance,
    hhh
    CommentQuote
  • Panjayat Approval is OK

Panjayat approved layout and Panjayat (govt) land both are different, NOC should get from taluka office, For NOC you must produce Patta, EC.

Surveyor measured and signed layout with Panjayat approved layout, Register office fixation process to be done for that NOC, Approved layout, panjyat minutes, Kootu Patta, FMP map, Computer printed Sitta, Parrent reg Documents are required. Out of that Tax and Elect and water charges to be paid, these are all above requirements is essential for reg a plot. So panjat approval plots are OK to buy. For house loan all the private banks are prefer DTP approval.

Satheesh Siva - Tiruvarur
    CommentQuote
  • CommentQuote