I belong to the elevator community having worked in India and the Middle East for the last 35 years. I have been part of many Pretigious projects having installed and commisioned thousands of elevators on behalf of various multi national brands both within India and overseas. I am now retired from active service.

In India I have noticed that the Builders (Client) and the Elevator suppliers are not happy with each other in many cases while executing the installation or during maintenance period. This post is intended to clarify the differences between both the parties and also to suggest solutions for that. I am trying to bridge the gap between the builders and the elevator suppliers by sharing my personal experiences without any commercial interests.

To view from the elevator supplier’s angle, there is a very tough competition between the elevator companies in terms of the price. Elevator companies have their own targets within their internal departments. From the Salesman’s point of view he has to achive his target by selling X number of units per year. To maintain the cost very competitive and to secure the order, he excludes many activities from their scope of work and do not disclose the actual scope of work by others (Civil, Elect & Misc) in detail while the contracts are signed vaguely.

The following items needs to be understood clearly before signing the contract.

Selection of the right type of elevator product considering the traffic analysis and the compliances with the building guidelines / regulations.
    Clarity on complete technical specification in the contract which should match with the approved layout drawings in order to plug all the loop holes in the beginning itself.
    Clarity in supply and installation of steel items such as Machine support beams, Pit ladders, Sill support angles, Welding, Anchor fasteners, Seperator beams in case of combined shafts, etc.,
    Clarity in supply and wiring of electric items such as Lift shaft lights, spacing of Bulk head fittings & sockets, ELCB, MCB ratings, Interface with other agencies like Fire alarm systems, BMS, CCTV security, Intercoms, Cross section of cables and termination upto lift control pannel etc., Also not to forget the budget for usage of temporary power supply at the time of installation and testing & commissioning.
    Clarity in civil works such as Casting Machine room bed blocks, Floor & wall pockets, Grouting of landing control stations, Door surround finishes, casting buffer blocks in pit, waterproofing etc., I have also noticed that the builders face lot of inconvenience to fill the extra gaps surrounding the door frames esspecially above the door frames lintel which could be easily avoided if the elevator companies desire to co-operate. The salesman does not often explain the minimum requirement of lift shaft sizes and sometimes try to sell his standard size of product for a lesser size of the lift shaft, knowing very well that certain chipping or demolition would be required at the time of installation. The erection team would then interpret it differently saying that the chipping is essential due to the deviation in the plumbness of the shafts, to safeguard the elevator company.
    Clarity on the Method of installation to be finalised with or without scaffolding.
    Clarity in obligation to use the lift for construction activities prior to handing over. Same way finalise conditions to use site facilities such as Material handling equipments, Tower cranes etc.,
    Terms and conditions ralated to storage of materials, construction of temporary sheds, Labour welfare facilities at site etc.,
    Clarity on the compliances with the local governing body / lift licence etc...
    By having a thorough review and understanding of the above items, the builder / client would be able to realise how much indirect and hidden costs are involved which the elevator supplier had not clearly defined in the contract.

Elevator companies make their profits by excluding maximum items from their scope of work. Once the contract is awarded they are confident to make their profits out of the AMC due to the proprietory nature of the equipment and its spare parts, thereby giving no room for the customer to switch over to other maintanence companies.

The fact remains that the clients have to trust and rely on someone with whom they have done business earlier. Some high end customers prefer to hire a 3rd party elevator consultant, which again is a burden to contain the project within a tight budget. Moreover there is also a possibility of the consultant being in nexus with a particular supplier and promoting their products.

My next article will widely cover how to tackle these issues, and how to save the cost further by atleast 30% from what you are actually spending now….

How to split the scope of work?
      How to insist on scaffoldless method thereby saving on cost of scaffolding?
      How to plan for part shipment schedule in line with construction progress?
      How to use the partially installed lift for construction purpose instead of spending for a builders hoist?
      How to get over the lead time issues?
      How to avoid chipping and unnecessary modifications to the structure post commencement of the erection work?
      How to reduce costs by eliminating certain features in the elevator controls which is unnecessary?
      How to reduce costs on the interior finishes of the elevator?
      How to restore your broken elevator when the supplier makes a huge demand?
      Is it really necessary to renew the AMC only with the supplier?
      What are the Pros and Cons if you cannot tolerate the blackmail of the elevator company?
      Answers to all these questions will be answered in my next post. As told in the beginning I am not into marketting of any particular product.

Thankyou Answers to all these questions will be answered in my next post. As told in the beginning I am not into marketting of any particular product.

Thankyou Answers to all these questions will be answered in my next post. As told in the beginning I am not into marketting of any particular product.

Thankyou
Read more
1 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Links/Solicitation
    Advertising goods or services related or unrelated to Real Estate, posting of affiliate or referral links, or any other form of solicitation is NOT permitted (this includes member profiles or any other publicly viewable area). Links on first post (or first couple if you're being slick) to your own site: If it's a competing website, not okay. If it's a blog entry you're referring to, that's alright. Bottom line - Don't come here to pimp your site – come here to be a member. Links to your own site, in general: Sorry. Not Allowed.
    CommentQuote