Hello Experts,

We are planning to buy a flat from a flat promoter. They are not a big shot builder. They are constructing Ground +2 floors. But they have approval only for Ground +1. We are thinking of buying a flat in 1st floor. Since he doesnt have approval for 2nd floor, Will there be any impact for us in future, if we buy the 1st floor flat.

Please advise.
Thanks,
Rajesh
Read more
27 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • G+2 approval

Did you ask the builder of the unapproved floor? Is there a penalty on the unapproved floor. By they where is the flat located.
    CommentQuote
  • If they can cheat the government, why cant they cheat you?
    So, how will they sell the 2nd floor? And what happens to the buyer of the second floor if government finds out the violation?

DITCH him and if possible make a complaint somewhere. Such greedy ruthless builders should get what they actually deserve and not money!

It is a pity that you really consider going with them g3 (gaya3??!!)
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by g3karthik
    Hello Experts,

We are planning to buy a flat from a flat promoter. They are not a big shot builder. They are constructing Ground +2 floors. But they have approval only for Ground +1. We are thinking of buying a flat in 1st floor. Since he doesnt have approval for 2nd floor, Will there be any impact for us in future, if we buy the 1st floor flat.

Please advise.
    Thanks,
    Rajesh

CMDA "if at all" can demolish only unauthorised or deviated portions of a building.generally most builders have some sort of deviations to the plan but do not put up unauthorised floors as done few years back.an unauthorised floor will definitely attract the attn of the CMDA and therefore migth give you a anxious period.but as per your ? they will not touch your portion which is approved.
    CommentQuote
  • unapproved II floor

Originally Posted by g3karthik
    Hello Experts,

Please advise.
    Thanks,
    Rajesh

Do not go to a project which is not complying with the approval. The undivided share (UDS) will be less due to extra floor. Selling your flat later, though may be in the approved I floor will be a problem. I know about a case in Vadapalani area, the builder got approval for G+FF total 4 flats and has gone ahead with the II floor also. He has only 2 nos. car sheds in the block, which he has sold to all the 6 flats at price from Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 1,00,000 . For a 1000 sq. ft. saleable area, he has registered for a UDS of 350 sq. ft. only which ought to have been atleast 660 sq. ft. Better go to a good builder who goes by the approved plan including the number of floors and select a flat which is in the advanced stage of construction. Do not feel shy in asking the promoter, the names and phone numbers of the other buyers in the project so that the owners can handle the promoter as a team on any issue. Going for a house loan from a PSU bank will be an added advantage as the Bank will verify the documents as also the plan approval etc.

ks2071746
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ks2071746
    Do not go to a project which is not complying with the approval. The undivided share (UDS) will be less due to extra floor. Selling your flat later, though may be in the approved I floor will be a problem. I know about a case in Vadapalani area, the builder got approval for G+FF total 4 flats and has gone ahead with the II floor also. He has only 2 nos. car sheds in the block, which he has sold to all the 6 flats at price from Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 1,00,000 . For a 1000 sq. ft. saleable area, he has registered for a UDS of 350 sq. ft. only which ought to have been atleast 660 sq. ft. Better go to a good builder who goes by the approved plan including the number of floors and select a flat which is in the advanced stage of construction. Do not feel shy in asking the promoter, the names and phone numbers of the other buyers in the project so that the owners can handle the promoter as a team on any issue. Going for a house loan from a PSU bank will be an added advantage as the Bank will verify the documents as also the plan approval etc.

ks2071746

KS, I actually came across a person who alongwith 8 others was holding a set of flats in Saligramam. Then all the 8 decided to sell their building and struck a deal with a builder who offered them 8 flats and built additional 3 flats. Now out of the 11, 8 were approved and 3 were not. The most surprising part of it is, the builder has stuck a deal with the 8 original owners where they get only 5 approved flats and 3 unapproved. When I spoke to my contact he did not see that as in issue.
    So much for approved and unapproved flats.
    CommentQuote
  • unapproved plan

Originally Posted by Natarajg007
    KS, I actually came across a person who alongwith 8 others was holding a set of flats in Saligramam. Then all the 8 decided to sell their building and struck a deal with a builder who offered them 8 flats and built additional 3 flats. Now out of the 11, 8 were approved and 3 were not. The most surprising part of it is, the builder has stuck a deal with the 8 original owners where they get only 5 approved flats and 3 unapproved. When I spoke to my contact he did not see that as in issue.
    So much for approved and unapproved flats.

Dear Natarajg007,

I agree. Most people are not fully aware of the seriousness/later problems. They look from the outer layer only and even if they come to know later, they feel, they can manage somehow. There are intermediaries who make their living doing the coordination (?) to manage with authorities.

ks2071746
    CommentQuote
  • CMDA does it apply only 2 builders

Originally Posted by ks2071746
    Dear Natarajg007,

I agree. Most people are not fully aware of the seriousness/later problems. They look from the outer layer only and even if they come to know later, they feel, they can manage somehow. There are intermediaries who make their living doing the coordination (?) to manage with authorities.

ks2071746

it is amazing that when building their own house majority of people dont give a damn about rules.more than 80% of private buildings fall into this category.but it is good to see people questioning deviation by the builders.
    this is driven by market forces,as long as people buy,builders will deviate and people will buy as long as CMDA(or politicians) is corrupt.I dont see corruption dying in a decade or two.
    there are lot of riders who despite the rule dont wear helmets,nobody cares. once in a while few cases would be filed.an eyewash
    CommentQuote
  • Dear abk,
    I am also thinking of building my home together with my other two brothers. However I have only a half ground land. We are thinking of building a G+2 with the intention of each one of us occupying one floor. Upon checking with CMDA and Avadi municipal, they said approval can only be give for G+1 for a 20 feet road. If that is the case one of has to be left out in which I do not want to and that will create family conflict. I am in a dilemma on how go about this. If we go to ahead with building an uapproved floor, I am not sure what the consequences be. If possible I do not want to about illegally and subject to undesirable scrutiniy later on. Pls advise.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by vpsureshkumar
    Dear abk,
    I am also thinking of building my home together with my other two brothers. However I have only a half ground land. We are thinking of building a G+2 with the intention of each one of us occupying one floor. Upon checking with CMDA and Avadi municipal, they said approval can only be give for G+1 for a 20 feet road. If that is the case one of has to be left out in which I do not want to and that will create family conflict. I am in a dilemma on how go about this. If we go to ahead with building an uapproved floor, I am not sure what the consequences be. If possible I do not want to about illegally and subject to undesirable scrutiniy later on. Pls advise.

there are some ideas which needs direct interaction to minimise ramifications.these cannot be posted on a forum.
    CommentQuote
  • Dear abk,
    Can you message me privately. Thanks
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by abk
    it is amazing that when building their own house majority of people dont give a damn about rules.more than 80% of private buildings fall into this category.but it is good to see people questioning deviation by the builders.
    this is driven by market forces,as long as people buy,builders will deviate and people will buy as long as CMDA(or politicians) is corrupt.I dont see corruption dying in a decade or two.
    there are lot of riders who despite the rule dont wear helmets,nobody cares. once in a while few cases would be filed.an eyewash

You seem to be too conscientious and yet living in Chennai!
    CommentQuote
  • We are planning to buy a flat from a flat promoter

Hello Experts,
    We are planning to buy a flat from a flat promoter. They are constructing Ground +2 floors,GF=2, FF=3,SF=3. But they have approval only for 6 flats.We are thinking of buying a flat in 1st floor. Since he doesnt have approval for 2nd floor 2 flats, Will there be any impact for us in future, if we buy the 1st floor flat.
    Please advise.
    Thanks,
    kumar
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by mkumar.t
    Hello Experts,
    We are planning to buy a flat from a flat promoter. They are constructing Ground +2 floors,GF=2, FF=3,SF=3. But they have approval only for 6 flats.We are thinking of buying a flat in 1st floor. Since he doesnt have approval for 2nd floor 2 flats, Will there be any impact for us in future, if we buy the 1st floor flat.
    Please advise.
    Thanks,
    kumar

deviation to a plan is ok and prevalent,but unauthorised addition of a floor is a bit too much,i suggest you look elsewhere.
    whether you will be affected yes in case of demolition by the authorities who will not care about the structure. the demolishing(a far off chance) will have repurcursions on the RCC frame and reduce the strength of the structure with possibilities of cracks in your portion.

tell me whether the rate is >35% discount than comparable properties why are u particular about this.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by abk
    deviation to a plan is ok and prevalent,but unauthorised addition of a floor is a bit too much,i suggest you look elsewhere.
    whether you will be affected yes in case of demolition by the authorities who will not care about the structure. the demolishing(a far off chance) will have repurcursions on the RCC frame and reduce the strength of the structure with possibilities of cracks in your portion.

tell me whether the rate is >35% discount than comparable properties why are u particular about this.

I have also come across many such projects in chennai where either the 2nd floor(G+1) or 4th floor(stilt+3) is unapproved or there is unauthorized construction in ground floor for office room or some time even a flat.

I can understand deviations due to restrictions in set backs, plot coverage or increase in space due to lumber room etc.

But, the openness with which such deviations are done at exorbitant price astounds me.

I have certain questions and hope to get the answers here

1.Builders claim as per second master plan, they are entitled more FSI so they have built additional floor/room and have applied for approval.

Reading through the DCR I see scope for additional FSI only using the following ways

1.Premium FSI.
    2.Increase in FSI due to Transferrable development rights.
    3.Additional floor as special building.

Which one is used?or do they even care to get approval or ratification?or leave it as is, as completion certificate is not enforced as long as water and electricity is available?

Assuming, the builder gets approval using one of the above wouldnt the UDS be disproportionate?

2.Also, Looks most of the land and buildings along ECR seem unapproved or unauthorized.

I am coming across very attractive offers in ECR.For example, 1-1.5 ground approved, seaside plot above CRZ in kottivakkam for as less as 55 lakhs/ground.

Though it falls outside CRZ(above 500m for High tide line) and is approved.There are other issues.It falls under aquifer recharge area which makes it useless to buy due to the restrictions imposed for CMDA building approval.

I understand that construction is permitted in CRZ and Aquifer area as per second master plan with restrictions like

1.Minimum plot size has to be 440 sq.m.(2 grounds)
    2.The frontage should be 15m(50 ft)
    3.Maximum FSI permitted is 0.8.
    4.The height of the building is restricted to 8.5 m
    5.maximum plot coverage of 40 per cent.

Kottivakkam, Palavakkam, Neelankarai, Okkiamthuraipakkam, Injambakkam, Karapakkam, Sholinganallur and Uthandi fall under aquifer recharge area.

But still everyone is going ahead purchasing such plots and construction taking only panchayat approval.

I dont consider any of such projects/lands as I dont mind paying more per/sqft for a clean property elsewhere than compromise on such things and repent later.

Frankly I dont understand their games and how this wrong is done right.Hope someone can throw further light on it.The information will be surely beneficial to all.

Thanks in advance.
    CommentQuote
  • How they calculate if they promoter has stilt type building

I have seen a land near kelambakkam where the flat promoter has constructed stilt type of building(Stilt car parking area +2 floors) on a 20 feet road. However the approval is given only for G+1 floor. Is this a violation?

When i ask the flat promoter he tells stilt type building has special permission where the car parking area is not considered as the built up area.

Please share your ideas?
    CommentQuote