We don't have roots in Chennai or Bangalore. But when considering to settle in India, which one is better, Chennai or Bangalore given the current RE market?

Which area in Bangalore is reasonable to buy?
Read more
101 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Why are Tamillians finding difficult to collect rent in Bangalore?
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by vpsureshkumar
    Why are Tamillians finding difficult to collect rent in Bangalore?

Due to Anti-Tamil sentiments that crop up every now & then
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by vpsureshkumar
    Why are Tamillians finding difficult to collect rent in Bangalore?

Probably because they rented it out to some other TN Tamilian? LOL
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Natarajg007
    Probably because they rented it out to some other TN Tamilian? LOL

Dear friend,

May be partly true and not fully. Tamilians are more soft people you know.

ks2071746
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ks2071746
    Dear friend,

May be partly true and not fully. Tamilians are more soft people you know.

ks2071746

That is a joke KS. I can tell you in the whole of INdia and for that matter in South INdia the best behaved and soft spoken people are Kannadigas. As a Tamilian myself I can tell in South India we Tamilains and Andraites are the most vociferous speakers and when it comes to fanaticism, Tamilians and HIndiwalas stand at the same level.
    So please dont sell this story to me. If you did not choose Bangalore that may be your cup of choice, but certainly for an uninitiated person Bangalore is heaven compared to Madras and I love Madras too as I have been a Madrasi from 8 to 27 if I can say that. Infact that is the reason that outsiders (outside state folks) dread to move over to Chennai while they make a bee line to Bangalore.
    CommentQuote
    That is a joke KS. I can tell you in the whole of INdia and for that matter in South INdia the best behaved and soft spoken people are Kannadigas. As a Tamilian myself I can tell in South India we Tamilains and Andraites are the most vociferous speakers and when it comes to fanaticism, Tamilians and HIndiwalas stand at the same level.
    So please dont sell this story to me. If you did not choose Bangalore that may be your cup of choice, but certainly for an uninitiated person Bangalore is heaven compared to Madras and I love Madras too as I have been a Madrasi from 8 to 27 if I can say that. Infact that is the reason that outsiders (outside state folks) dread to move over to Chennai while they make a bee line to Bangalore.

Fear friend,

I do not sell anything including the story. I keep quiet for long periods. That is the problem as one need to sell when there is good return seen and should when the prices are low. True to common Indian way of looking at things, when the price goes up, we feel the prices will further go up and do not sell the shares or the RE then and at the time of downtrend/falling prices, we only wait for further time hoping the prices will fall further and here also do not decide. Ultimately we would have missed making money when it was raising or ing when it was low, there by making a good return or investment.

ks2071746
    CommentQuote
  • Sorry to join u guys late but I have this debate on in my mind chennai or bangalore?

If u are conservative dont care much about social life, slog at office and love to laze around in Banians and veshti on an easy chair and Hindu on Sundays and catch up with atthais and chittis and the neighbourhood mamas and mamis and go to a cinema when someone offers u tickets for free, then you would love Chennai. Max u can hang out at Spencers, City Centre, watch movies at Inox , Sathyam, Mayajaal if u r a bachelor. And u can enjoy the ride to Pondicherry on ECR. If you are the devotional type then u have a wide variety of Bhajans, bhojans, music concerts, dramas, temples and lot of festivities that add a nice flavour.
    The traffic is getting mad these days but with few flyovers which have been finished at leat the off peak hours seem to let u release a sigh of relief. I used to really go mad when the roads were dug every now and then for laying cables drains what not, but these days u dont see them unless the road contractor wants to earn a quote! And of course the food in Chennai if u r idli dosa lover and not to forget the spicy sambhar and chutneys.... then u r here to stay. And there are quite a lot of eat outs catering to north, west, continental of course with the madarasi flavour.

Now to the Bangalore part, if u want to freak out on weekends search up where is the party tonite, and a new casual dress every Friday and take your family to eatouts almost every alternate day and accept your lady colleagues to join u at the smoke place and keep up with the maddening traffic just push ur car in 1 gear till it comes off in ur hand and ask auto wallahs for directions who say go straight down dead end then take left come straight circle then..... and land in the same place,
    Of course the Bangalure luring factor for me is the beautiful exteriors and interiors of the bungalows and the gardens around and the uphill roads and the canopy of Green trees and the fascinating colours of flowers lavender and crimson red. If you are a nature lover it is your city.
    Of course when it comes to salary Bangalore pays you more. And if you are a madarasi type staying in Bangalore you will not flitter away your money so the cost of living factor is not going to affect you. I personally experienced that the Bangalore tag to the CV helps you to bargain more with the HR when u opt to come back to Chennai. Work is joy at Bangalore weekends one look forward too. Lazy timings, less sweat more social outlook. Bangalore accepts northis wheras northis have a tough time in Chennai. Hard to find Hindi speaking neighbours when compared to Blore

So you need to choose the city that would suit your lifestyle.
    CommentQuote

That is the status of Bangalore some deacades ago.

Now Kannadiga fanatics spoiled Banglaore. Rajkumar fans,Nagaraj party attack non kannadigas in every possible way.

Womens' freedom is the latest problem there
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Nataraajg007
    That is the status of Bangalore some deacades ago.

Now Kannadiga fanatics spoiled Banglaore. Rajkumar fans,Nagaraj party attack non kannadigas in every possible way.

Womens' freedom is the latest problem there

Dear friend,

I did not want to mention names, but you did. I fully agree with your last line " Women's freedom................... " which is a mounting problem there in Bangalore. Of course, one should not say this, soon after the WOMEN'S DAY ( 08/03/2009 ) . One of the good things happening now at Bangalore is the falling real estate prices, especially the flat prices.

ks2071746:)
    CommentQuote
  • Investing in Tambaram West

Hello friends, I am plannng to invest in Doshi builder project in tambaram west, chennai. I do not have much knowledge about this area. Can somebody guide me about this area(old sbi colony, tambaram, west). I am looking at accessibility to transport, education, sanitation, good neighbours and rental value. Please take time off and reply friends.

warm regards
    ganesan
    CommentQuote
  • not a good time to
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ganesan1972
    Hello friends, I am plannng to invest in Doshi builder project in tambaram west, chennai. I do not have much knowledge about this area. Can somebody guide me about this area(old sbi colony, tambaram, west). I am looking at accessibility to transport, education, sanitation, good neighbours and rental value. Please take time off and reply friends.

warm regards
    ganesan

You are going to something which will be available at least 20% less that current price in few months. Wait and you'll get much better deals. Also good value for your money..
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ganesan1972

warm regards
    ganesan

Dear friend,

Better wait for prices to come down as also to get into the final stages of construction. This area seems to be a little way from the GST Road but not a bad area. Rental income may not be very attractive coupled with high maintanance charge the tenant may have to bear. At Rs. 1.5 per sq. ft. per month? For a 1200 sq. ft. flat, this itself will come to Rs. 1800 per month and the rental may not be more than Rs. 4000 per month considering most of the owners will give their flats for rental. IT guys are the front runners for rental and today's situation on IT jobs are not that encouraging.
    In this forum, a few members did voice their problems on getting cancellations of their booking and in fact some of them had to forgo even amounts to the ntune of Rs. 50000 or so for the cancellations.

ks2071746
    CommentQuote
  • when considering renting out flats with maintenance of 1.5 per sqft,rental income will not be that much,i know my friend paying 2500 rs for maintenance itself.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by vijai5
    when considering renting out flats with maintenance of 1.5 per sqft,rental income will not be that much,i know my friend paying 2500 rs for maintenance itself.

Dear friend,

In this project one may have to put in atleast about Rs. 38 to 40 lakhs for a flat of 1200 sq. ft. all inclusive. Even assuming 2% as rental, the rent expectation may come to Rs. 6500 + per month, which may look difficult now. But, considering that the project may be ready for living by 2010 end, by which time the place may command rental of atleast Rs. 4000 per month, due to locational advantage, the rent is possible with some sort of a little upswing in the market, I did mention this figure.

ks2071746
    CommentQuote