We don't have roots in Chennai or Bangalore. But when considering to settle in India, which one is better, Chennai or Bangalore given the current RE market?

Which area in Bangalore is reasonable to buy?
Read more
101 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Originally Posted by lovebird
    Vatal Nagraj is enough for Banglaore to go down in future

U mean to say Viduthalai chiruthai are not good enough for TN?
    CommentQuote
  • To buy a 1500-1800 sq.ft 3 bed flat to let it out on rent which would be ideal location? This is for purely investment purpose and not for self occupation.

Chennai
      Bangalore
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by contra
    To buy a 1500-1800 sq.ft 3 bed flat to let it out on rent which would be ideal location? This is for purely investment purpose and not for self occupation.

Chennai
      Bangalore

Dear friend,

I feel, Bangalore will score over Chennai due to (1) Lower sq. ft. rate at Bangalore with better rental return on investment ( 2 ) Better demand profile in the years to come due to more IT dependance (4) better overall facilities at Bangalore (5) Higher wage structure facilitating higher rentals (6) Improving infrastructure ( 7 ) More cosmopolitan city etc.

ks2071746

Dear friend,

I feel, Bangalore will score over Chennai due to (1) Lower sq. ft. rate at Bangalore with better rental return on investment ( 2 ) Better demand profile in the years to come due to more IT dependance (4) better overall facilities at Bangalore (5) Higher wage structure facilitating higher rentals (6) Improving infrastructure ( 7 ) More cosmopolitan city etc.

ks2071746

Dear friend,

ks2071746

Dear friend,

ks2071746

Dear friend,

ks2071746

Dear friend,

ks2071746

Dear friend,

ks2071746
    CommentQuote
    To buy a 1500-1800 sq.ft 3 bed flat to let it out on rent which would be ideal location? This is for purely investment purpose and not for self occupation.

Chennai
      Bangalore

Well I will repeat that only fools buy flats for INVESTMENT! Anyway since you are specific the answer is simple. Price of a 3bd flat in a similarly good location in Bangalore is much cheaper than in Chennai. So the RENTAL return will be much higher in Bangalore. However since the FSI in Bangalore is much higher than Chennai each Sqft of flat in Bangalore will mean much lesser land ownership and so in the long run the flats in Chennai will appreciate reasonably while in Bangalore they dont. So after 10 years your Bangalore flat might double or triple based on last 10 years while a flat in Chennai would have become 5 times.
      So which is better is a VERY DIFFICULT question. So to repeat ONLY FOOLS BUY FLATS FOR INVESTMENT! Sane people buy land for investment and flats to live.
      Well I will repeat that only fools buy flats for INVESTMENT! Anyway since you are specific the answer is simple. Price of a 3bd flat in a similarly good location in Bangalore is much cheaper than in Chennai. So the RENTAL return will be much higher in Bangalore. However since the FSI in Bangalore is much higher than Chennai each Sqft of flat in Bangalore will mean much lesser land ownership and so in the long run the flats in Chennai will appreciate reasonably while in Bangalore they dont. So after 10 years your Bangalore flat might double or triple based on last 10 years while a flat in Chennai would have become 5 times.
      So which is better is a VERY DIFFICULT question. So to repeat ONLY FOOLS BUY FLATS FOR INVESTMENT! Sane people buy land for investment and flats to live.
    CommentQuote
  • Dear friend,

There are also some fools who have bought land in remote god foresaken places and suffering with no appreciation or less appreciation as well as land grabbing by unscrupulous elements. One need to be very cautious in selecting and buying the land.

ks2071746
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Natarajg007

To buy a site ( either 1 plot of 2400 sq.ft or 2 adjacent plots of 1200 sq.ft each) which is the best location?

Chennai
      Bangalore
      The house or shops will be constructed only after 10-12 years, so immediate construction, amenities are not necessary. However a proper layout plan, roads and strong legal papers are must.....
    CommentQuote
  • I personally dont feel secure buying land in a remote locality in Bangalore. In Chennai there are no deserted localities. Even 100km from Chennai any area will have some density of population. I prefer Chennai outskirts to Bangalore outskirts for buying land without any doubt.
    CommentQuote
  • I started reading this discussion recently, I was also torn between Bangalore and Chennai, I am a tamilian, and I have opted for Bangalore, for the weather, the people, less volatile, for the infrastructure developments that are going on at breathtaking pace, for the facts their is no River Coomb over there, and therefore less mosquitoes!And because you can get a far bigger and better quality dwelling for a far lesser price in a good locality compared to Chennai.
    CommentQuote
  • whatever ppl say----Madras, MadRAS than....(for me it is still MADRAS )
    FYI I am torn between Madras & Hyderabad. But just the names of places in Madras excites me....In Hyd the prices are less when compared to Madras/Banglore, but I'd prefer atleast a 1 bhk in 'mosquitoe filled' Madras rather than a tajmahal in Hyd
    CommentQuote
  • Now a days plots within city limits in chennai & bengaluru are not possible, when you go outskits, I would go with Chennai. The chennai outskirts are growing fast, you can find people around, good layout plan.

But make sure politicians, goondas and illegal people are not occupying your plots. It's common there. Therefore, regular and close monitoring required after you buy them.

Originally Posted by contra
    To buy a site ( either 1 plot of 2400 sq.ft or 2 adjacent plots of 1200 sq.ft each) which is the best location?

Chennai
      Bangalore
      The house or shops will be constructed only after 10-12 years, so immediate construction, amenities are not necessary. However a proper layout plan, roads and strong legal papers are must.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by meenuka
    I started reading this discussion recently, I was also torn between Bangalore and Chennai, I am a tamilian, and I have opted for Bangalore, for the weather, the people, less volatile, for the infrastructure developments that are going on at breathtaking pace, for the facts their is no River Coomb over there, and therefore less mosquitoes!And because you can get a far bigger and better quality dwelling for a far lesser price in a good locality compared to Chennai.

Has the price of dwelling fallen in Bangaluru?If so,it is surprising.Bangaluru is no good a place to live for people suffering from asthama and other respiratory ailments.As far as infrastructure in Bangaluru is concerned most roads get clogged with traffic and therefore very slow movement of traffic.
    CommentQuote
  • Land identified for 100 parks in suburbs - The Times of India

The second master plan of the Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority shows that each Chennaiite has only 0.46 sq m of 'green space' against the 17 sq m of green space per resident in Bangalore.

Those who think Govt won't lay hands on their precious OSRs, think again:

A senior official said: "The spaces identified for the 100 parks in eight zones include small parks, OSR lands and vacant places." According to Open Space Reservation (OSR) rules, buildings with more than 10,000 sq m of space are required to earmark 10% of the area as OSR land.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Love4land
    Land identified for 100 parks in suburbs - The Times of India

Those who think Govt won't lay hands on their precious OSRs, think again:

Nice L4L, Finally someone there is thinking green. Hope they plan it well and hire a gud maintenance team.
    CommentQuote
    When I checked recently with property dealers in Bangalore, I could see some mouth watering valuations.

The valuations were even lower then Chennai. At HMT layout in Vidyaranyapura which is full of trees and greenery, Brigade Group's new apartment Courtyard is available at a good valuation. After seeing this apartment location yesterday I will be an idiot to invest in Velachary in Chennai where roads and road side tea shops are chaos not to forgot water logging.

There is neither water logging or water shortage in HMT layout Bangalore only calm roads, lots of greenery.

Long term potential for real estate investment in Bangalore is better then Chennai given its climate, greenery. Once the Bangalore Metro is in place, even road traffic which is currently Bangalore's only problem will also come down. Fortune awaits for real estate investors in Bangalore, always the best city in India.

Very true. Bengaluru is definitely good as a Real Estate investment destination. In fact it was recently rated as the best residential real estate market in India. It was the only market, along with Pune, that yielded positive returns in FY 2014-15 in India.
    Bengaluru & Pune Emerge As India

Part of this growth is surely linked to the IT revolution the city continues to witness.

As a result, some areas, especially South Bengaluru, are specifically emerging into prominent residential areas. South Bengaluru is witnessing the growth of many such micro markets.

One such micro market is JP Nagar, Phase 10. Some premium developers have acquired land and have already begun to or are about to begin constructing their projects here.

Peninsula Land Limited is one such developer. This premium commercial, residential and retail developer is largely popular for the transformation of Lower Parel area from a defunct mill area to a premium commercial district in Mumbai.

Its magnificent project is called “Ashok Heights”.

The majestic project will entail Apartments, Duplexes and Pent Houses. The configuration of the apartments will be 3 BHK & 4 BHK and the duplexes will be 5 BHK.

Thoughtfully planned, global class and premium describe these apartments.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Natarajg007
    I certainly dont want to discuss about SL and whether it is a genocide or an internicine warfare. Now we talk about tamil blood as if it is written in the blood that it is tamil. Anyway I am least concerned to discuss this.
    However as I said before in Chennai there are many stupid reasons for causing damage and those who feel that Bangalore is bad are typically the pseudo-intellectual who believes that Tamil areas are safer when they actually are not and SL is a typical example.
    BTW I would appreciate if you and your friend Chatara go to SL and help the people there. When the SL president or whatever asked KK and JJ to come over I know how one asked the other to go there and the other went to hospital to enjoy 5 star comforts.
    All these tamil propagandists are just pseudos and to me Bangalore is a much better place than Chennai given that many of these Zealots cant do much of their rubbish in Bangalore.

I see some truth in your statements.

Bangalore is much safer, industrious, peaceful, calm and well cultured than Chennai. Its progress both commercially and culturally are testament to that.

It is very cosmopolitan as a city, comparable to Mumbai and Delhi. It attracts tourists from all parts of the world and has carved its place on the world map. It is also more temperate than Chennai in terms of weather. It is far superior to Chennai in terms of quality of life.

It has earned a reputation as the pub capital of the country and ranks higher than Chennai in terms of safety.

Youngsters feel safe to engage in intra city travel in the wee hours of the night. It is no surprise that most of the IT majors seek to establish their operations there.
    CommentQuote