We don't have roots in Chennai or Bangalore. But when considering to settle in India, which one is better, Chennai or Bangalore given the current RE market?

Which area in Bangalore is reasonable to buy?
Read more
Reply
101 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • one point not mentioned in this discussion is rental returns...........
    bangalore will give you better returns...due to presence of migrating population...
    CommentQuote
  • From Real estate perspective , Bangalore may be a higher investment, but if u take the angle of "Culture & heritage" for a person who want to buy for end use , Chennai trumps Bangalore like no other... It has all the required facilities yet retaining the heritage due to its conservative approach towards culture...
    CommentQuote
  • The thread's title is "Investment option"

    Therefore I need to stress the point that "in many cases" a location that may not offer the "best life style or quality of life" may turn out to be a great investment opportunity.

    Let us take Mumbai for example, one of worst city to live for quality of life say Nagpur or Pune may offer a better quality of life but Mumbai is the best place for Investment.

    Kochi Vs Trivandrum. Bhopal vs Indore etc

    You can say the same in many countries. Hong Kong worst city to live but RE market is buoyant.

    In Australia Sydney is the worst city in the country for quality of life when compared with Perth, Adelaide or Brisbane but Sydney RE is the best.

    So my point is - Sometimes the best city that offers top quality of life may not turn out to be winner when it comes to investment.

    Coming back to Bangalore Vs Chennai in relation to investment choice, I think Bangalore RE has been in the doldrum for about a decade now while Chennai has been outperforming. Currently Chennai RE stands more expensive than Bangalore due to that good run and Chennai Diversified economy.

    Therefore I think it is now Bangalore's turn to perform well in the next few years while Chennai takes a breather.
    CommentQuote
  • I own properties in both location. If it is investment option then Bangalore is far superior to chennai with building location and price as explained by other members take brigade gateway in heart of city in malleshwaram resale apartment is available at 10k to 13k depending on location of apartment. And very good rental yield.
    But living in Bangalore is not that great traffic infra and public service is big issue.... In case of chennai for 10 to 13K u could get a good unit in egmore kilpauk which is very good location however rental yield is less but infra isuch better
    CommentQuote
  • The rupee’s sharp dip against the U.S. dollar has attracted non-resident Indians (NRIs) to buy property, with realtors expecting an increase of 35 per cent in business enquiries from expatriates this year.

    Releasing a paper on “With the rupee riding low against the U.S. dollar, NRIs are looking to accelerate investment plans back home.” The rupee has fallen by about 34 per cent against the U.S. dollar since August 2011.

    The survey said that Bangalore is the most favourite property investment destination for NRIs followed by Chennai, Mumbai, Ahmedabad and Dehradun.

    “The Indian property developers are anticipating a 35 per cent surge in enquiries from NRI-based purchasers. The decline in rupee has increased property sales because people want to get value for their money,”.

    “It is definitely not good news for people back at home, but for a non-resident Indian (NRI) this is definitely the best time to invest. At the moment any non-resident Indian buying a property in India can save at least 20 per cent on his property value.

    The majority of real estate developers said the NRI traffic is coming primarily from the UAE/West Asia region, the U.S., Singapore, Australia, the U.K., Canada and South Africa. The demand is more for high-end property and commercial buildings.

    Luxury Apartments for Sale in Chennai

    Luxury Villas and Apartments in Devanahalli, Bangalore
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by amrutaparab
    The rupee’s sharp dip against the U.S. dollar has attracted non-resident Indians (NRIs) to buy property, with realtors expecting an increase of 35 per cent in business enquiries from expatriates this year.

    Releasing a paper on “With the rupee riding low against the U.S. dollar, NRIs are looking to accelerate investment plans back home.” The rupee has fallen by about 34 per cent against the U.S. dollar since August 2011.

    The survey said that Bangalore is the most favourite property investment destination for NRIs followed by Chennai, Mumbai, Ahmedabad and Dehradun.

    “The Indian property developers are anticipating a 35 per cent surge in enquiries from NRI-based purchasers. The decline in rupee has increased property sales because people want to get value for their money,”.

    “It is definitely not good news for people back at home, but for a non-resident Indian (NRI) this is definitely the best time to invest. At the moment any non-resident Indian buying a property in India can save at least 20 per cent on his property value.

    The majority of real estate developers said the NRI traffic is coming primarily from the UAE/West Asia region, the U.S., Singapore, Australia, the U.K., Canada and South Africa. The demand is more for high-end property and commercial buildings.

    Luxury Apartments for Sale in Chennai

    Luxury Villas and Apartments in Devanahalli, Bangalore


    The article is riducles. Because Rupee dip against US$ why one has to invest in RE. They can park in Mutual fund and FD, wait for further reduction of RE prices and wait in sideline.

    The article is written as if RE is the only option.
    CommentQuote
  • amrutaparab is a marketing leech from the Hira who was suspended/banned recently.

    Mods: You may need to the honors one more time or may be once for all!
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by shakishaki
    one point not mentioned in this discussion is rental returns...........
    bangalore will give you better returns...due to presence of migrating population...


    True,Chennai does not have migrating population.Even in the IT corridor (OMR) we find only tamilians and only tamilnadu restaruants serving only tamil meals all the time.:)
    CommentQuote
  • I think the Bangalore resale scenario mentioned above is a very one sided perspective. You can always pick prime properties and defend the growth & resale capacity of a city.

    But then it becomes the same for Chennai too. In every upcoming area there will be some street which might beat the average sales in that whole area, due to brand or proximity to premium school, hospital etc.

    I know friends who owned flats near Hebbal IT Park and sold it for a loss. Some who bought a resale property in a GC for the price of 2011 in year 2013.

    The usual GCs in outer ring road suffer the same problem as OMR in terms of resale. Not all properties get premium resales.

    Similarly I know few colleagues who struggled selling or renting apartments along Old Airport Road once Airport was shifted. Even now the place is not picking up.

    Rentals may be good in Bangalore but that is due to the standardized rental market where the Rental agreements are respected. Also due to FSI rules in Bangalore, building GCs has been more beneficial for builders in Bangalore and also for the owners, because families prefer GCs for rentals.

    Also Bangalore has more steady or low price rises due to a stable market, higher FSI and oversupply, unlike Chennai.

    So I feel Chennai and Bangalore have pretty similar patterns.
    CommentQuote
  • I have property in both Chennai and Bangalore. Right now Bangalore is cheaper than Chennai. But I see in Chennai the apartments near dumpyard, slums and drainage are expensive. But in Bangalore, apartments near KFC, Malls are cheaper when compared to Chennai. However given a chance I wont sell my Bangalore property as I feel it is under valued and it might rise any time. Chennai I feel the prices may be stagnant for some time during which Bangalore may come close to Chennai or even more in the near future.
    CommentQuote
  • I agree it is undervalued in Bangalore. It could go up from MG Road+10 KMS around the city in the near future.

    Originally Posted by klmjack
    I have property in both Chennai and Bangalore. Right now Bangalore is cheaper than Chennai. But I see in Chennai the appartments near dumpyard, slums and drainage are expensive. But in Bangalore, appartments near KFC, Malls are cheaper when compared to Chennai. However given a chance I wont sell my Bangalore property as I feel it is under valued and it might rise any time. Chennai I feel the prices may be stagnent for some time during which Bangalore may come close to Chennai or even more in the near future.
    CommentQuote