Last updated: July 12 2015
103 | Posts
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Chennai Versus Bangalore - Investment Options

Norms change with the times ...

Originally posted by Natarajg007 View Post
    One can be hurt in Chennai or Bangalore or Bombay. It depends on your ability to live there. Ofcourse Tamilians living in Bangalore not picking up Kannada will find it difficult; not me.
    In anycase Bangalore is much better a place in general than Chennai. And mind you, I am a Chennaite not some south TN guy! I have lived in Chennai from age of 7 to 21 and even after that in bits and pieces. I choose Bangalore as a better place any day! And Tamil Chauvanists and Kannada Chauvanists are the same piece of shit! So dont worry about me. THanks! ROTFL.

Firstly, let us get it straight. A substantial part of the chauvinism and the violence and chaos that come with it is the result of the actions of a few fringe elements who have ulterior motives and use other disgruntled elements to create the problem. The specific issue - whether it is ethnicity with the likes of Vatal Nagaraj or the so-called religion-linked behavioral norms with the likes of Mutalik - is merely the excuse for taking action. Even Hitler started World War II by dressing German Jews in Polish army uniform, shooting them and scattering them around a border Radio Station to create the excuse that the Poles had attacked Germany. Of course he miscalculated on the resolve of England and France to back Poland and this led eventually to WWII. In Tamil Nadu, do not forget the Anti-Hindi movement by the DK in the 1960s and 70s. So, it is a problem everywhere.

Secondly, we must also realise that without the tacit acceptance and passive support of the population at large, this fringe cannot get away with it for long. So, there must also be an undelying feeling of disgruntlement within the general ethnic population in terms of jobs being snatched by the foreigner, etc, etc.

We also notice that as time passes, tolerance is declining and these elements are quickly resorting to violence and there is greater tolerance to this kind of violence. It also does not matter if a Tamilian in Bangalore knows Kannada or a Kannadiga in TN knows Tamil well. These are shallow cover and in serious situations can easily fall apart!

Finally, it is upto the general population to keep a lid on this by making it clear to these elements and drawing a line by taking tough action. If this is allowed to exist long enough, the "victims" will find the only way out is to arm themselves and retaliate wherein it becomes a catastrophic situation like in the Gujarat situation of Godhra.

Please remember that, while its easy to get carried away by emotions and talk about Chennai being better or Bangalore being one-up, its the responsibility of every one of us to nip it in the bud and ensure that the foreigner is safe, even if we feel upset that he is snatching away our "god-given birthright" to have jobs as son-of-soil. Just remember that, maybe your brother or close friend is also a foreigner in some other part of the world snatching someone else's job!

Just some thoughts.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by contra View Post
      When I checked recently with property dealers in Bangalore, I could see some mouth watering valuations.

The valuations were even lower then Chennai. At HMT layout in Vidyaranyapura which is full of trees and greenery, Brigade Group's new apartment Courtyard is available at a good valuation. After seeing this apartment location yesterday I will be an idiot to invest in Velachary in Chennai where roads and road side tea shops are chaos not to forgot water logging.

There is neither water logging or water shortage in HMT layout Bangalore only calm roads, lots of greenery.

Long term potential for real estate investment in Bangalore is better then Chennai given its climate, greenery. Once the Bangalore Metro is in place, even road traffic which is currently Bangalore's only problem will also come down. Fortune awaits for real estate investors in Bangalore, always the best city in India.
      Correct. Pl do not invest in chennai. Put it in Bangalore. Spread such messages to your friends. chennai price will come down due to such acts also though anyway it is falling

Comment

Originally posted by wiseman View Post
        Firstly, let us get it straight. A substantial part of the chauvinism and the violence and chaos that come with it is the result of the actions of a few fringe elements who have ulterior motives and use other disgruntled elements to create the problem. The specific issue - whether it is ethnicity with the likes of Vatal Nagaraj or the so-called religion-linked behavioral norms with the likes of Mutalik - is merely the excuse for taking action. Even Hitler started World War II by dressing German Jews in Polish army uniform, shooting them and scattering them around a border Radio Station to create the excuse that the Poles had attacked Germany. Of course he miscalculated on the resolve of England and France to back Poland and this led eventually to WWII. In Tamil Nadu, do not forget the Anti-Hindi movement by the DK in the 1960s and 70s. So, it is a problem everywhere.

Secondly, we must also realise that without the tacit acceptance and passive support of the population at large, this fringe cannot get away with it for long. So, there must also be an undelying feeling of disgruntlement within the general ethnic population in terms of jobs being snatched by the foreigner, etc, etc.

We also notice that as time passes, tolerance is declining and these elements are quickly resorting to violence and there is greater tolerance to this kind of violence. It also does not matter if a Tamilian in Bangalore knows Kannada or a Kannadiga in TN knows Tamil well. These are shallow cover and in serious situations can easily fall apart!

Finally, it is upto the general population to keep a lid on this by making it clear to these elements and drawing a line by taking tough action. If this is allowed to exist long enough, the "victims" will find the only way out is to arm themselves and retaliate wherein it becomes a catastrophic situation like in the Gujarat situation of Godhra.

Please remember that, while its easy to get carried away by emotions and talk about Chennai being better or Bangalore being one-up, its the responsibility of every one of us to nip it in the bud and ensure that the foreigner is safe, even if we feel upset that he is snatching away our "god-given birthright" to have jobs as son-of-soil. Just remember that, maybe your brother or close friend is also a foreigner in some other part of the world snatching someone else's job!

Just some thoughts.

cheers
        it is a very unfortunate situation that if somebody speaks for Kannada or Tamil he is considered as regional chauvnist, at the same time anybody speaking for Hindi is considered a Nationlist. There is no two opinion on-hat anybody indulging in violence against outsiders should be treated like criminals and punished, we need to understand we are separate ethnic groups and the British brought us together to live as one Nation. Also every Indian should learn to respect the sub nationalities Kannada,Tamil .... in India. The growth of regional parties in every state reflects this true sentiment. Putting basic fact under carpet and try to pretend as though Indians have been living together for thousands of years would lead to more strife and ulimately lead to disintegration.

Comment

Below are the comments from Lanco Infratech Chairman

How about the property division?
          We may not aggressively pursue the property business. We today have Lanco Hills coming up near Hyderabad in about 100 acres. We will complete this project but will rethink any further real estate projects.

How much land do you own now?
          We have land banks in Chennai, Vijayawada and Hyderabad. But we expect definite slowdown in real estate for the next two years. Our land bank should not be more than 300 acres. We don't have huge exposure in terms of land bank. We are not buying any further land too, though the prices today are low.

Comment

When I checked recently with property dealers in Bangalore, I could see some mouth watering valuations.

The valuations were even lower then Chennai. At HMT layout in Vidyaranyapura which is full of trees and greenery, Brigade Group's new apartment Courtyard is available at a good valuation. After seeing this apartment location yesterday I will be an idiot to invest in Velachary in Chennai where roads and road side tea shops are chaos not to forgot water logging.

There is neither water logging or water shortage in HMT layout Bangalore only calm roads, lots of greenery.

Long term potential for real estate investment in Bangalore is better then Chennai given its climate, greenery. Once the Bangalore Metro is in place, even road traffic which is currently Bangalore's only problem will also come down. Fortune awaits for real estate investors in Bangalore, always the best city in India.
            Dear friend,

Do I take it that, for living Chennai may be better and for invesment Banglaore is the preferred one in the long run?

ks2071746

Comment

Originally posted by ks2071746 View Post
              Dear friend,

Do I take it that, for living Chennai may be better and for invesment Banglaore is the preferred one in the long run?

ks2071746

Yes ks2071746, you can take it like that.

For living, Chennai (some calm locations inside city like Egmore, Chetpet or in nearer outskirts like AGS colony, Adambakkam, Nanganallur) also has nice places to take a nice rented accomodation and live for few years. You can enjoy the beaches too.

When it comes to putting down personal investment I would definately prefer Bangalore anytime. I was till recently tempted to invest in Chennai too, however after looking at good value which is currently available in Bangalore I have decided to invest in Bangalore only.
              Last edited April 20 2009, 10:59 PM. Reason: grammer

Comment

Originally posted by sundardj View Post
                I have been telling this that the prices in Bangalore have dropped and Chennai would be forced to follow that. I was given an argument that FSI index was higher and the undivided share you would get was less in Bangalore. I don't beleive in that argument because if prices in Bangalore dropped from 60 lakhs to 40 lakhs (full 34%) the prices in Chennai will fall by the same percentage . The price drop percentage is independent of FSI index.
                Price of what? Flat or land? BTW a class 5 course in Maths will help many on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by lovebird View Post
                  Correct. Pl do not invest in chennai. Put it in Bangalore. Spread such messages to your friends. chennai price will come down due to such acts also though anyway it is falling
                  So the want of those who missed the bus in 2004 and begging for it to return to the old stop is exposed fully!

Comment

Yes ks2071746, you can take it like that.

For living, Chennai (some calm locations inside city like Egmore, Chetpet or in nearer outskirts like AGS colony, Adambakkam, Nanganallur) also has nice places to take a nice rented accomodation and live for few years. You can enjoy the beaches too.

When it comes to putting down personal investment I would definately prefer Bangalore anytime. I was till recently tempted to invest in Chennai too, however after looking at good value which is currently available in Bangalore I have decided to invest in Bangalore only.
                    Bangalore - Invest in a flat since it is cheaper and you can live well.
                    Chennai - Invest in a flat as land share is high and it will appreciate better than in Bangalore.
                    Land - Prices are almost the same in equally good localities. It will move up almost correspondingly in both places.
                    FSI - Theoretically almost same in both places. In practice it is about 3 in Bangalore and 1.75 in Chennai.

Comment

Originally posted by Natarajg007 View Post
                      Bangalore - Invest in a flat since it is cheaper and you can live well.
                      Chennai - Invest in a flat as land share is high and it will appreciate better than in Bangalore.
                      Land - Prices are almost the same in equally good localities. It will move up almost correspondingly in both places.
                      FSI - Theoretically almost same in both places. In practice it is about 3 in Bangalore and 1.75 in Chennai.
                      It is this type of analysis which I expected in getting proper comparison between Bangalore and Chennai. I definately agree, there are equally good localities in both cities. What I was wondering all the while was how come prices of flats in Chennai which were cheaper then Bangalore 3 years back suddenly overtake Bangalore now. I'am not complaining about the prices by the way, I know that the potential for urban indian real estate is enormous due to favourable demographics in the country. Just curious how come smaller 1200 sq.ft flats in Chennai cost the price of a larger 1800-2000 Sq.ft flat in Bangalore. When I was in bangalore I had never heard of a flat less then 1200 sq.ft...in Chennai it is very common to see people live in 800 sq.ft 2 bed flats.

Can you please elaborately explain these 2 points which will help in making my investment decision better. You are welcome to start a new thread on these topics
                      1. Chennai - Invest in a flat as land share is high and it will appreciate better than in Bangalore.
                      2. FSI - Theoretically almost same in both places. In practice it is about 3 in Bangalore and 1.75 in Chennai.

Comment

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                      Working...
                      X