Property Price Trends in Chennai

Last updated: 4 weeks ago
2452 | Posts
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re : Property Price Trends in Chennai

Originally posted by nilanadukkam View Post
    Valuations should aid in elimination if not selection. Among those properties that pass basic valuation tests, there is no harm in letting the heart take over. Sticking to simple models would do ... As someone said, it is better to be approximately right than precisely wrong.
    NNadukkam - agree totally,
    I have highlighted this also in the forum a few times. I see you went into that spiral a little bit as well from my external viewing of your situation. may be not true - just my judgement.

Many investors in this forum will tell you,

Dont short list from the layouts a broker happened to show you because he has contacts and leads for plots - even though this is what happens most of the time

Do your homework
    short listed layouts
    Pricing in those layouts
    PLOTS in that layout

if you approach in this order then the broker or broker(s) job is to find you plots in that location /layout of your choice not in the layout where he has an offer.

Its hard to do when you are in a US to India summer trip

But use Hindu saturday property plus ads and other paper ads

most of us living outside of india have the 45$ annual subscription and use it to understand the market pulse.

This is a direct quote to your MMpuram exploration, until last week i dont think you know the layout and you happen to look into this layout because your broker showed you
    I think thats ok , but if i were you i wont start out like that, fix your criteria , shortlist locations and then hunt for plots in that location.
    my 2 cents

Comment

I came to know of MMPuram from one of the older threads in this forum. MMPuram was shown to me by the broker upon my request. However, my visit to SP Koil and Potheri was because the broker offered some plots there and I wanted to get a feel of these places.
      So you are partly right.

My shortlisted areas for the next 1-2 months are
      Urapakkam, Iyencheri upto Karanaipuducheri and may be perumattunallur.
      Rattinamangalam, Kolapakkam, Vengambakkam, New perungulathur, sachidanandapuram
      On the other side of GST Road, Royappa nagar, some PTC colony(?), Adhanoor.
      i.e., areas roughly within 4 km circle from VK road-GST road junction.

Comment

Fantastic and please post what you find in relevant threads for the greater good

Comment

Whatever half baked knowledge I have got until now, I should attribute it to this forum. It is not about knowing current prices of various places but framing a mental model for approaching RE. Now, In my late thirties, I have missed many opportunities because all I was told since childhood is that land bought would eventually be grabbed by someone, so don't buy. This extreme sense of loss aversion has led to multiple missed opportunities. Am sure there are many like me who would find this forum educative in forming the right mindset to approach RE.
          Many thanks to all contributors ( especially, Eco, Raj, k11, nabisek, LL, Mav Matrum Palar).

Some of the old threads are simply amazing. I enjoyed reading those by ZeeEnn (almighty, natarajg007). I think ZeeEnn doesn't write often nowadays. If anyone knows him please ask him to come back, on steroids !

Reading the old threads is especially useful for late bloomers like me because one understands the bullish, bearish phases of thinking about RE and how things panned out eventually. Though historical success/failures cannot be guaranteed, history cannot and should not be ignored.
          Last edited June 20 2014, 12:01 PM.

Comment

adeyappa looks like you have spent a lot of time on IREF reading
            bale bale sabaash sabaaash
            Natraj and his US aversion is classic -( always believed he got his visa rejected by the US consulate)
            one of his quotes i still remember is
            We( as in india/n) sneeze if US has cold, extreme aversion to the folks who have deserted mother land to work in far west or east.
            plus he always equates we all living outside work in gas stations which was a classic.

Comment

Whatever half baked knowledge I have got until now, I should attribute it to this forum. It is not about knowing current prices of various places but framing a mental model for approaching RE. Now, In my late thirties, I have missed many opportunities because all I was told since childhood is that land bought would eventually be grabbed by someone, so don't buy. This extreme sense of loss aversion has led to multiple missed opportunities. Am sure there are many like me who would find this forum educative in forming the right mindset to approach RE.
              Many thanks to all contributors ( especially, Eco, Raj, k11, nabisek, LL, Mav Matrum Palar).

Some of the old threads are simply amazing. I enjoyed reading those by ZeeEnn (almighty, natarajg007). I think ZeeEnn doesn't write often nowadays. If anyone knows him please ask him to come back, on steroids !

Reading the old threads is especially useful for late bloomers like me because one understands the bullish, bearish phases of thinking about RE and how things panned out eventually. Though historical success/failures cannot be guaranteed, history cannot and should not be ignored.
              i'm just an occasional visitor to this forum. can you suggest some good threads to go through

Comment

Start with this one. Read from the first post onwards ( in print view, 40 posts per page mode).

Comment

Whatever half baked knowledge I have got until now, I should attribute it to this forum. It is not about knowing current prices of various places but framing a mental model for approaching RE.

Very pleasantly surprised that you took some time to read the threads & posts from the past 5-6 years.

You would have a slice of human behaviour over the peaks & troughs, Boom times & Doom times.

Some of us have been fortunate enough to read & write views continually over the various market conditions.

It is never late to start building your portfolio. Every journey has to start from the first step. Hope this forum is of some help in that journey.

Good Luck.
                  Last edited June 21 2014, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Echo - Eco's view , there is never an opportunity lost or missed there are plenty just around you, just need to develop an eye to constantly keep looking for it.
                    There is always some asset class in the market all the time thats under- appreciated over-sold and under-valued , we have to keep searching for it constantly.

Comment

What do u mean by print mode?

Comment

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                      Working...
                      X