Dear All.......after a lot of brainstroming and researching, found the following
locations as possible investment areas in chennai.

Can people living in the area suggest / clarify any information on these
areas.

1.) Best place for investment PLOTS : 10-15 LAKHS

A. MARAIMALAI NAGAR
B. GUDUVANCHERRI
C. URAPAKKAM
D. KUNDRATHUR

2.) PLOTS :20-40 LAKHS

A. HASTHINAPURAM
B. PAMMAL
C. MADIPAKKAM
D. GERUGAMBAKKAM
E. MEDAVAKKAM

THE ISSUE IS NOT SURE WHAT BRACKET AND AREA TO INVEST IN

PLEASE ADVICE

2.) PLOTS : 50 - 60 LAKHS

A. CHROMPET
B. TAMBARAM
C. PORUR
D. AYYAPANTHANGAL
E. MOGAPPAIR

3.) 1/2 GROUND PLOTS :

A. AYYAPANTHANGAL
B. PORUR GARDEN SAMAYAPURAM
C. VELACHERY
Read more
24 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • At present investment is not advisable as prices of plots are likey to go down for another 20 to 30%.

In some cases it will be stagnant for another 1 year atleast.

So you buy the plot next year at the same rate. Now for 1 year put it in FD and earn interest
    CommentQuote
  • Why buy a PLOT go for Individual House

If are planning a good investment, this would be the best thing to do,

Buy an individual house at a
    1)Good location which has well developed infrastructure like roads, ground water, drainage systems etc
    2)Let it out to a tenant

If you buy a plot, only when you sell it after 10-15 years you get return on investment (ROI)

If you buy a individual house you still own the plot as well - in 1 stone 2 mangoes. Let me explain, an individual house apart from getting a good ROI after 10-15 years when you sell it, earns you a regular rental income even during your holding period. Just imagine if you keep putting that rental income in a cumulative deposit how much you can accumulate after 10-15 years. So after 10-15 years not only will you get ROI from house but also lumpsum amount from cummulated rental income.

There are some good individual houses available at Velachary Housing Board locality which is a good locality. You may also check out TNHB website if they are developing any new residential localities with individual houses. Hope this helps.
    CommentQuote
  • Dear friend,

I agree. This is not the ripe time to buy plots. Better wait for atleast another year. In any case, the prices will not go up though they may also not go down very much as most people holding the plots may not be in an urgency to sell.

ks2071746
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by anandxx
    Dear All.......after a lot of brainstroming and researching, found the following
    locations as possible investment areas in chennai.

Can people living in the area suggest / clarify any information on these
    areas.

1.) Best place for investment PLOTS : 10-15 LAKHS

A. MARAIMALAI NAGAR
    B. GUDUVANCHERRI
    C. URAPAKKAM
    D. KUNDRATHUR

2.) PLOTS :20-40 LAKHS

A. HASTHINAPURAM
    B. PAMMAL
    C. MADIPAKKAM
    D. GERUGAMBAKKAM
    E. MEDAVAKKAM

THE ISSUE IS NOT SURE WHAT BRACKET AND AREA TO INVEST IN

PLEASE ADVICE

2.) PLOTS : 50 - 60 LAKHS

A. CHROMPET
    B. TAMBARAM
    C. PORUR
    D. AYYAPANTHANGAL
    E. MOGAPPAIR

3.) 1/2 GROUND PLOTS :

A. AYYAPANTHANGAL
    B. PORUR GARDEN SAMAYAPURAM
    C. VELACHERY

I cannot say for sure the prices you have given for other loactions but regarding Kundrathur I think your assessment is on a higher side.One coloniser called Leo Real Estates is selling at the rate of Rs.350 per sq ft just beyond Kundrathur in front of Chembrabakkam lake which comes to about Rs.8 and half lakhs per ground.And that itself is not selling .If somebody sits with cash in front of the landhoder I think prices can come down to Rs. 300 per sq ft.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by factsandfigures
    I cannot say for sure the prices you have given for other loactions but regarding Kundrathur I think your assessment is on a higher side.One coloniser called Leo Real Estates is selling at the rate of Rs.350 per sq ft just beyond Kundrathur in front of Chembrabakkam lake which comes to about Rs.8 and half lakhs per ground.And that itself is not selling .If somebody sits with cash in front of the landhoder I think prices can come down to Rs. 300 per sq ft.

what leo is selling is way beyond kunrattur and in no way can be called kunrathur this was the same example given by chatara. the same story of OPALINE beyond padi being called as Annanagar Ext. in heart of kunrattur the commercial area rate is 25-35L the new layouts like mehta nagar(with reasonable habitation and muncipal roads) the current rate psqft is 600-650.
    the outer areas in kunrattur may be available at lesser prices.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by abk
    what leo is selling is way beyond kunrattur and in no way can be called kunrathur this was the same example given by chatara. the same story of OPALINE beyond padi being called as Annanagar Ext. in heart of kunrattur the commercial area rate is 25-35L the new layouts like mehta nagar(with reasonable habitation and muncipal roads) the current rate psqft is 600-650.
    the outer areas in kunrattur may be available at lesser prices.

Leo is located aprrox 1 km beyond Kundrathur.And where is the space in Kundrathur for plotting .What ever I know abt Kundrathur it is a small village with a v.narrow road

Can u pls educate me where exactly Mehta Nagar is ???
    CommentQuote
  • Thankyou for all responses.

Yes, i have seen some independent houses in medavakkam and
    velacherry.

The issue is the build quality is so bad, its not worth the risk even at low
    prices.

I would better design my own. however,

please keep this thread active and post whatever local knowledge is available.

currently im using the wikimapia to do my homework on areas that will
    converge.

Velechery has recently been avoided by lot because of the issue
    with water logging.

Kundrathur next to chembarabakkam is cheap however not sure
    what kind of approval is available on the land, not even sure if
    it is a safe buy.
    CommentQuote
  • Dear friends,

I remember in 1964, a 2400 sq. ft. plot in Maraimalainagar was offered by TNHB at Rs. 600 per plot and there were not many takers.
    In 1972, at Trichy in Contonment centre location, a 2400 sq. ft. plot was Rs. 7200 and near Sangam Hotel it was much less at Rs. 4800 to 6000 per plot.
    In Chennai, Annanagar Santhi Colony, during 1978, it was near about Rs. 30,000 per ground and in Annanagar West it was much lower. See the prices today? Beyond reach? 22 K Gold was Rs. 25 per gram in 1973, but increased to Rs. 75 per gram in 1978.
    Those days salaried people considered their take home pay for loans to be taken, so also the lending institutions. Now the consideration is not only take home pay but also what increase one will expect in the future years as well as other/rental income etc.

ks2071746
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by factsandfigures
    Leo is located aprrox 1 km beyond Kundrathur.And where is the space in Kundrathur for plotting .What ever I know abt Kundrathur it is a small village with a v.narrow road

Can u pls educate me where exactly Mehta Nagar is ???

leo is about 5 km s beyond kurathur and mehta nagar is a km from the bus stop on the pallavaram road
    CommentQuote
    Thankyou for all responses.

Yes, i have seen some independent houses in medavakkam and
    velacherry.

The issue is the build quality is so bad, its not worth the risk even at low
    prices.

I would better design my own. however,

please keep this thread active and post whatever local knowledge is available.

currently im using the wikimapia to do my homework on areas that will
    converge.

Velechery has recently been avoided by lot because of the issue
    with water logging.

Kundrathur next to chembarabakkam is cheap however not sure
    what kind of approval is available on the land, not even sure if
    it is a safe buy.

I had mentioned only Velachary Housing Board which is near Adambakkam and a good locality if you have visited it instead of just going through wikimapia. Ya even I am not investing in Velachary and prefer to invest only in Bangalore which is my original home. However if you are a Chennai resident settled here, wanted to help you so suggested Velachary Housing Board as I have seen it recently. By the way Velachary Housing Board HIG independent houses are not cheap or low priced like you said.

I had not even mentioned medavakkam which is in jungle.
    CommentQuote
  • Hi,

As i dont live in chennai I cannot visit adambakkam. However,

i could not find any link to velachery housing board in the net.

Can you guide me to this.
    CommentQuote
  • Dear friend,

Please do not say, Medavakkam is a jungle. Lot of people reside there and continue to buy due to nearness to Tambaram, and other IT hub etc. and some what affordable prices.

ks2071746
    CommentQuote
  • what about on mount-poonamalle route

there are several areas on the mount poonamallee route, and it is not only an IT area popular for the likes of dlf but also close to porur which is a sort of a T Nagar, places like, Manapakkam,mugalivakkam,iyappanthangal, places behind Ramachandra medical college, and even upto poonamalle will be a good buy, I guess there is no flooding issues, also there is expected to be good infra developments as a result of airport expansion
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by kkkumar
    there are several areas on the mount poonamallee route, and it is not only an IT area popular for the likes of dlf but also close to porur which is a sort of a T Nagar, places like, Manapakkam,mugalivakkam,iyappanthangal, places behind Ramachandra medical college, and even upto poonamalle will be a good buy, I guess there is no flooding issues, also there is expected to be good infra developments as a result of airport expansion

Dear friend,

What you have said are true. One more thing to be seen is the place is away from Egmore, Central & Koyembedu which is a negative point. Many parts of Iyyappanthangal are water logging areas.

ks2071746
    CommentQuote
    Hi,

As i dont live in chennai I cannot visit adambakkam. However,

i could not find any link to velachery housing board in the net.

Can you guide me to this.

Given below are the links

TNHB Velachery ( Velachery Housing Board)

]http://wikimapia.org/2052797/TNHB-Colony-Checkpost-Velachery

TNHB Velachery was developed by TNHB and has lots of individual houses under high income group which they term HIG houses. It is right next to Adambakkam.

Adambakkam

]http://wikimapia.org/1829760/Adambakkam

Adambakkam is a good locality and one of the few localities in Chennai where there are a lot of individual houses and few apartments only. Adambakkam is also close to Chennai Airport and to Nanganallur (which is known as temple town among Chennaites)

Adambakkam is a good locality and one of the few localities in Chennai where there are a lot of individual houses and few apartments only. Adambakkam is also close to Chennai Airport and to Nanganallur (which is known as temple town among Chennaites)

CommentQuote