“Every month we are seeing an increase in enquiries and demand for loans. The drop in demand for home loans is a myth created by the media,” said Keki Mistry, HDFC vice-chairman and managing director.

I told you guys, don't listen to bears...fundamentals for real estate particularly in a young India are strong.

]http://www.livemint.com/2009/05/05005458/HDFC-net-profit-up-on-rising-l.html?h=A1

HDFC beat profit forecasts of even street due to increase in home loan demand......inspite of heavy competition from PSU banks
Read more
96 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Originally Posted by nicks
    you seem to be quite optimistic and bully about RE. Agree that prices have not corrected as much as should have and that is partly because of 'parellel ecomony' in India which is still parking money in indian RE but not sure how long this would continue in wake of global turmoil which is resulting in job losses & credit crunches.

Parallel economy existed in India even before US house price existed, existed when US prices fell, will exist into the future. So comparing a silly example of US RE prices with Indian RE is like comparing s and monkeys. LOL!
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Natarajg007
    The best for RE is begun. Even US confidence index has shot up that one might even buy the mortgaged houses in US. In INdia I think there was hardly a problem. ANd in CHennai and Bangalore prices never really corrected. If u miss buying now u will cry about spilt milk as all the bears in this forum are doing. This rise starting now will make the 2004 rise look like a joke.

This is ridiculous propaganda. The prices are so high now and need a huge correction. In case if there is no correction the prices will remain this way for next four years atleast. This is the bottom line. If you need a land or flat go ahead and buy. For speculative purpose - you are sure to regret terribly.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by sundardj
    This is ridiculous propaganda. The prices are so high now and need a huge correction. In case if there is no correction the prices will remain this way for next four years atleast. This is the bottom line. If you need a land or flat go ahead and buy. For speculative purpose - you are sure to regret terribly.

If u missed the bus once, that is your fault. If u frighten others to jump of the bus that is very bad of you. Finally there is the second chance to get into the bus. U sure want others to miss it! U r a real spoilsport.
    CommentQuote
    If u missed the bus once, that is your fault. If u frighten others to jump of the bus that is very bad of you. Finally there is the second chance to get into the bus. U sure want others to miss it! U r a real spoilsport.

A piece of crap land in chennai with no infrastructure , no roads,no drinking water ,no drainage costs say US $80,000 . If you go to any developed or developing country in the world you will get it far better that.

Do you think any multinational company would come and buy land in Chennai. Land is given to them by the Government at throw away prices.

Nats you are free to buy as much as possible and make lot of money. Good for you. please don't lead others to misery.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by sundardj
    A piece of crap land in chennai with no infrastructure , no roads,no drinking water ,no drainage costs say US $80,000 . If you go to any developed or developing country in the world you will get it far better that.

Do you think any multinational company would come and buy land in Chennai. Land is given to them by the Government at throw away prices.

Nats you are free to buy as much as possible and make lot of money. Good for you. please don't lead others to misery.

Can you be more specific than generic and let us know in which location in Chennai you found some crap land for $80,000 or Rs.36,00,000 (considering exchange rate of 1 USD =Rs.45).

In Orlando, FL condos are available for Rs.80 lacs (when converted in Rupees). Around 2 years back even I was arguing that condos in Orlando are Rs.80 lacs while in Bangalore apartments at locations like Koramangala, Sadashivanagar were priced at 1 crore, how come? Than I did this

As i was in US. visited those condos in Orlando. I was surprised to find that quality of construction, finishing were pathetic, water was leaking from the pipes. This was Orlando, US of A

When I came back to Bangalore to visit relatives. I went to see those Rs.1 Crore apartments at Sadhashivanagar and Malleswaram. They were fantastic worth every rupee in that 1.crore for the quality, facilities and the location. Sadashivanagar, Malleswaram are some of the fine places.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by contra
    Can you be more specific than generic and let us know in which location in Chennai you found some crap land for $80,000 or Rs.36,00,000 (considering exchange rate of 1 USD =Rs.45).

In Orlando, FL condos are available for Rs.80 lacs (when converted in Rupees). Around 2 years back even I was arguing that condos in Orlando are Rs.80 lacs while in Bangalore apartments at locations like Koramangala, Sadashivanagar were priced at 1 crore, how come? Than I did this

As i was in US. visited those condos in Orlando. I was surprised to find that quality of construction, finishing were pathetic, water was leaking from the pipes. This was Orlando, US of A

When I came back to Bangalore to visit relatives. I went to see those Rs.1 Crore apartments at Sadhashivanagar and Malleswaram. They were fantastic worth every rupee in that 1.crore for the quality, facilities and the location. Sadashivanagar, Malleswaram are some of the fine places.

Forget all that Contra. Sundard is just a lost guy. In US land is available for a song. I really mean it. 9 times more land per person is available in US. And in US most of the country side is well developed. That means supply is just toooooo high.
    In India USABLE LAND is just limited. It might be not 1/9th but maybe 1/90th of US since other than cities other places arent developed.
    Now Sundard must have gone to Tindivanam and calling it Chennai. You know these NRIs, they know neither US or India. So his crying is something we should enjoy and ignore.
    Just ask him where that land he wanted exists and then the details will be out.
    Most likely Sundard must have lost his job in US and must be wanting to return to INdia. He wants to sell his silly condo in US maybe for 100K USD and with that he wont find a flat in Chennai. What to do? He has to realise that he is a beggar compared to the Chennai vasis. Well if he has been pampered to think that NRI is big shit, then he will have to continue to bicker and cry on this board.
    LET US PASS HIM.
    CommentQuote
  • To make our SILLY NRIs understand some truth. Our family has an old house in Malleswaram Bangalore. To construct that house today may at best be 30lakhs, but the land value will be minimum 6crores. That is in Sundard basha, USD 1.25 M.
    Now we have a relative in LA, suburb of California. They have house whose lot size must be a bit bigger than our house and house a big bigger than ours. What is its price? As per Zillow.Com it is USD 505K. So it is almost 40% the price in Malleswaram Bangalore.
    Sundard can cry for the rest of his life telling that it is preposterous. Unfortunately the number of people wanting a chunk of land in Malleswaram are too many. So the demand is too high. We can build 6 to 8 flats on this land and each would go for about 1.5crores. So the equation is different.
    God save these NRI clowns. They left INdia in the first place since they did not have the brain to survive here. Now they are in trouble outside India and want Indians to become poorer for them to come back here. What a shameful, disgraceful set of folks these are?
    CommentQuote
    To make our SILLY NRIs understand some truth. Our family has an old house in Malleswaram Bangalore. To construct that house today may at best be 30lakhs, but the land value will be minimum 6crores. That is in Sundard basha, USD 1.25 M.
    Now we have a relative in LA, suburb of California. They have house whose lot size must be a bit bigger than our house and house a big bigger than ours. What is its price? As per Zillow.Com it is USD 505K. So it is almost 40% the price in Malleswaram Bangalore.
    Sundard can cry for the rest of his life telling that it is preposterous. Unfortunately the number of people wanting a chunk of land in Malleswaram are too many. So the demand is too high. We can build 6 to 8 flats on this land and each would go for about 1.5crores. So the equation is different.
    God save these NRI clowns. They left INdia in the first place since they did not have the brain to survive here. Now they are in trouble outside India and want Indians to become poorer for them to come back here. What a shameful, disgraceful set of folks these are?

NRIs cannot take India for granted anymore. Just look at australia where 4-5 indian students have been attacked in past week. Even in US indian students will be targeted in future.

Racism in western societies will increase and indians are new targets

This is actually good for indian universities and indirectly indian real estate. In future government will open more private universities to keep students within india. A lot of real estate developers with huge landbanks are starting private universities in the lines of Amity, Manipal etc.

India has 500 million children and youth under 25. If they all stay in india and study here we need to build lots of universities and need lots of landbanks. Why should others benefit from our youth. Lets keep our students here in india itself .
    CommentQuote
  • WASHINGTON: The US recession is set to end "soon," but continued job losses and plunging house prices point to an economic recovery that will be more moderate than those experienced in previous downturns, a survey showed.

The survey of 45 professional forecasters released by the National Association of Business Economists (NABE) on Wednesday found almost three-quarters expected the economic downturn to end by the third quarter of this year.

The remaining saw the turning point delayed until either the last quarter of this year or the first three months of 2010. None of the respondents believed the recession, now in its 17th month, would extend beyond the first quarter of 2010.

"While the overall tone remains soft, there are emerging signs that the economy is stabilizing," said NABE President Chris Varvares.

"Business economists look for the recession to end soon, but that the economic recovery is likely to be considerably more moderate than those typically experienced following steep declines."
    Economic slack and gains in labor productivity would keep inflation pressures fairly muted
    CommentQuote
  • The slowdown in retail has swung the power pendulum from developers into retailers' favour. Oversupply of malls in some cases and hard bargaining by retailers has led to a 25–70% fall in rentals. ="http://connect.in.com/profile/CNBC-TV18/321146"]CNBC-TV18’s Tanvi Shukla reports.
    Till June last year, the retail sector was complaining about soaring rentals. Then, there was a shortage of malls, and retailers had to give in to the demands of landlords. But now, things have turned around and how. In less than a year, rentals have crashed, both existing tenants and for new deals. Retailers are renegotiating rent agreements more than once to get the most out of these trying times.
    Sanjay Verma, Executive MD––South Asia and Australia, Cushman & Wakefield, said, “I would reckon that the rentals have fallen anywhere between 25% to as high as 50% in some cases over last year. And one has to put in context that last year was really the peak of last three–four years. So I think we are getting some bit of rationalization, certain degree of unreasoning in some places but you can only blame it to the market which is changing."
    Sources say that some big retailers stopped paying rentals until their demand of a 50% cut in costs was agreed. And with industry's expansion on hold, developers had no option but to give in. In some cases, landlords themselves offered 60–70% lower rents but even then got no interested tenants. Bharti Retail has witnessed a 15–20% correction in rentals. Reliance Retail says it has managed 20–25%, even 50% in some cases.
    Bijou Kurien, President–Lifestyle Vertical, Reliance Retail, said “A lot of this is very unique to developer. Some are renegotiating a lot more than the others purely because of their financial capability or their ability to hold on to their investments.”
    Experts say in some regions, where rentals had shot up disproportionately, there is more correction to come.
    CommentQuote
    NRIs cannot take India for granted anymore. Just look at australia where 4-5 indian students have been attacked in past week. Even in US indian students will be targeted in future.

Racism in western societies will increase and indians are new targets.

This is actually good for indian universities and indirectly indian real estate. In future government will open more private universities to keep students within india. A lot of real estate developers with huge landbanks are starting private universities in the lines of Amity, Manipal etc.

India has 500 million children and youth under 25. If they all stay in india and study here we need to build lots of universities and need lots of landbanks. Why should others benefit from our youth. Lets keep our students here in india itself .

Why did u goto US for work.Is advice only for others:D
    Dont say I went there for work and not study.Same logic holds good for job also
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by abk
    WASHINGTON: The US recession is set to end "soon," but continued job losses and plunging house prices point to an economic recovery that will be more moderate than those experienced in previous downturns, a survey showed.

The survey of 45 professional forecasters released by the National Association of Business Economists (NABE) on Wednesday found almost three-quarters expected the economic downturn to end by the third quarter of this year.

The remaining saw the turning point delayed until either the last quarter of this year or the first three months of 2010. None of the respondents believed the recession, now in its 17th month, would extend beyond the first quarter of 2010.

"While the overall tone remains soft, there are emerging signs that the economy is stabilizing," said NABE President Chris Varvares.

"Business economists look for the recession to end soon, but that the economic recovery is likely to be considerably more moderate than those typically experienced following steep declines."
    Economic slack and gains in labor productivity would keep inflation pressures fairly muted

when did u start trusting news articles as u told me u dont trust anyone including Hindu:D.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by BigBear
    when did u start trusting news articles as u told me u dont trust anyone including Hindu:D.

i dont still, it is for the others;)
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by BigBear
    Why did u goto US for work.Is advice only for others:D
    Dont say I went there for work and not study.Same logic holds good for job also

Its good that people like me went to US. Only when we visit a place we can also see the other side;).

Now i can blast the US, and openly question any NRI who pokes fun at India and praises US. I know how NRI bachelors live in rat hole apartments and many more things. I have seen white beggers in NYC subway.

In india we have 7 course meal, in US same NRIs prefer to self cook and think even for having tiffin in good NYC restaurants because of costs. Still they dare to say land in Chennai is crap. Only when some of us go to US and other countries, the other side of the story come out.

Hope you will be in agreement;)
    CommentQuote

Tell me one location in chennai where you get a ground for 36 lacs where you have drainage(underground),tap water and good roads. Even the much publicised OMR you don't have these things. In US people talk in terms of acres not grounds. You may have visited a ghetto in Orlando. I will be considered insane if I start comparing the infrastructure in USA( you name any place with a population of ten thousand) with that of Chennai(one of the metropolis of India).
    CommentQuote