Was reading quite a number of interesting threads where Velachery and Tambaram were compared. Myself had given preference to Velachery in one of the posts and some other members had given preference to Tambaram. So decided to start a thread on this topic.

Please provide with clear points pros and cons for each of the locations and why you prefer one over the other. This should help every buyer/seller to become aware.
Read more
32 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Any members having knowledge of the rates going on in Velachery for one ground with house in a good residential areas. Pl share

Also advise any localities within Velachery to be avoided for any reason
    CommentQuote
  • In decent areas it is around 2 crores. May be around 50% velachery will fit the bill.
    CommentQuote
  • Dandeeswaram & Baby nagar are decent areas. Avoid TNHB layout, it is probably one of cheapest areas in Velacherry due to water logging issues. It is close to Velachey lake.

The above was situation until few years back, not sure of current status.
    CommentQuote
  • Velachery by default is a marsh land sorrounded and during rainy season, situation will be beyond control . Those who bought land during 90s and could not locate for 2-3 years and built a house and had water logging in 2004-2005 loosing ground floor and car and unable to visit the site for months can recall what it is.

It is good as it now has all interlinking roads and infra and malls but will it withstand 20 days heavy downpour is the issue for some of the parts in this region,though certain pockets escape due to steep height and elevation.

Tambaram is a GST trunk road blessed spot with stertches one can gear up for in both direction with good inter connectivity by Rail,Road and Self Transporataion .

Chennai will soon get covered up with Sorroundings to form Greater Chennai as limits have been enhanced by absorbing all suburbans in the Ministry level

Announcement and promulgation through ordinance from Governor is the pending one really.

Then we will talk about Tiruthani,Tindivanam , Pondy and Tada as suburban after expanded CMDA
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by RaviCbe
    Velachery by default is a marsh land sorrounded and during rainy season, situation will be beyond control . Those who bought land during 90s and could not locate for 2-3 years and built a house and had water logging in 2004-2005 loosing ground floor and car and unable to visit the site for months can recall what it is.

It is good as it now has all interlinking roads and infra and malls but will it withstand 20 days heavy downpour is the issue for some of the parts in this region,though certain pockets escape due to steep height and elevation.

Tambaram is a GST trunk road blessed spot with stertches one can gear up for in both direction with good inter connectivity by Rail,Road and Self Transporataion .

Chennai will soon get covered up with Sorroundings to form Greater Chennai as limits have been enhanced by absorbing all suburbans in the Ministry level

Announcement and promulgation through ordinance from Governor is the pending one really.

Then we will talk about Tiruthani,Tindivanam , Pondy and Tada as suburban after expanded CMDA

Ravi one correction Pondy can never be under CMDA or jurisdiction :)
    enough politics already there
    what are your views on walajabad to uthiremerur bypassroad
    Tambaram with vandalur busstand, ORR inaguration seems to be a solid suburb from infra, civic and social connectivity and amenities,
    Velachery has so many negatives but posiitve is good connectivity to OMR thats key
    CommentQuote
  • Avoid any area near lake where flooding happens most.

Avoid Baby nagar as it has many lands under litigation.

Also, brokers and some owners sell Adambakkam/Madipakkam/Pallikaranai lands as Velachery as they would get higher land price.

There is a twin flyover proposed in Vijaya nagar area - there might be some land acquisition for that. Please check that also.

There is a proposed monorail project for which main land identified is near metro rail station. But there might be further acquisition along the path of monorail from Velachery to Tambaram for stations, etc.

I observed that rates vary significantly between nagars within velachery.

Senior members please update on land rates for specific areas like dhandeeswaram/Baby nagar/ Tansi nagar/Vijaya nagar etc. That would be helpful.
    CommentQuote
  • Dhandeewaram I think it is around 2 crores per ground avg nice layouts and fairly peaceful.
    Tansi Nagar many streets become commercial since it falls on Taramani 100 feet road so the rates are higher around 2.5 crores to 2. Most of the streets end in Taramani street and close to vijaya nagar busstand also. Baby nagar should be around 1.5 to 2 depending upon location. LIC colony location is also nice and should be around 2.5 crores.
    CommentQuote
  • Velachery in 2013 == TNAGAR of 1983.

Tambaram in 2013 = Velachery in 1993.

Needless to say VLCY is the hub of emerging South Chennai. TBM has potential - but except for excellent Rail connectivity, TBM has a very long way to go, to become considered as a core part of Chennai City.
    CommentQuote
  • Just for next level comparison in adajavent spots, I mentioned Pondy though it is a Union Territory with French subsidy .

Lands in Uthira merur has been occupied by Agri farm owners in bulk and Industries . Like ORAGADAM link , it will definitely be a booster in the long run

Not tracking Walajabad area much

Originally Posted by SRajagopalan
    Ravi one correction Pondy can never be under CMDA or jurisdiction :)
    enough politics already there
    what are your views on walajabad to uthiremerur bypassroad
    Tambaram with vandalur busstand, ORR inaguration seems to be a solid suburb from infra, civic and social connectivity and amenities,
    Velachery has so many negatives but posiitve is good connectivity to OMR thats key
    CommentQuote
  • Apart from Sewerage and metro water availability, VLCY is getting decent social infrastructure through two promising malls - Phoenix and another one (dont get the name).

What about TBM?

VLCY has also got a decent start hotel now (Westin). It is next door neighbor of big educational institutions. TBM has MCC but nothing more.

As regards Adambakkam/Madipakkam et al being marketed as VLCY, yes they are extended parts of VLCY. People invest in Mannivakkam and Perungalathur and consider it as part of TBM, so what is wrong in that?
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ramki830
    and another one (dont get the name).

Grand Mall.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by chennaidesi
    Dhandeewaram I think it is around 2 crores per ground avg nice layouts and fairly peaceful.
    Tansi Nagar many streets become commercial since it falls on Taramani 100 feet road so the rates are higher around 2.5 crores to 2. Most of the streets end in Taramani street and close to vijaya nagar busstand also. Baby nagar should be around 1.5 to 2 depending upon location. LIC colony location is also nice and should be around 2.5 crores.

Thanks for inputs Chennaidesi. But, I think LIC Colony is part of Pallikaranai (still 2.5C?). Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also, please let me know rates in Vijaya nagar, VGP Selva nagar, Devi karumariamman nagar and Ram nagar, if you have some info.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by landie
    Thanks for inputs Chennaidesi. But, I think LIC Colony is part of Pallikaranai (still 2.5C?). Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also, please let me know rates in Vijaya nagar, VGP Selva nagar, Devi karumariamman nagar and Ram nagar, if you have some info.

Any inputs on this
    CommentQuote
  • No LIC colony is between Tansi nagar and Velachery-tambaram road i think opposite to ceebros.
    CommentQuote
  • Thanks for clarification Chennaidesi, I will check this area during my next visit.
    CommentQuote