Every good area seems to be either under water (velachery, porur, madipakkam, redhills) else is scheduled for acquisition by GOVT (Manapakkam and surrounding areas. goodness where the hell can someone get some decent land in chennai.
Read more
9 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • anandxx,

don't lose hope. Just keep doing your research.

Water logging happens only 4-5 days in a year. Now with previous experience corporation is making a lot of improvements to roads, sewage, water systems to reduce and eliminate the water logging in the future.

Otherwise Chennai is a nice city. Electricity is available round the clock, water is also available even in summer. Unlike last decade(1990s) when water was a problem. Ground water level has improved due to rainwater harvesting , sea water desalination have done wonders solving water problems of past decades. Chennai is quietly constructing good infrastructure like ring road, metro rail etc. The existing rail network (beach-tambaram, beach-velachery, beach-avadi) itself a good testimony of Chennai local governance performance.

Keep trying these locations

1. Velachery
    2. East Tambaram
    3. Kelambakkam(OMR)
    4. Sripermbadur (Bangalore highway)
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by anandxx
    Every good area seems to be either under water (velachery, porur, madipakkam, redhills) else is scheduled for acquisition by GOVT (Manapakkam and surrounding areas. goodness where the hell can someone get some decent land in chennai.

So if one has land and in a good place (non water logged, non acquirable with DTCP/CMDA approval and with clean documents) what should one do?
    DONT SELL UR LAND FOR A SONG!
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by anandxx

From reading your earlier posts, I gather you are having a budget in mind that you want to invest and are scouting the property portals to find out the locations affordable to you.Good way to start.

But, to identify a worthy property you need to do more than believing articles and views on the internet.Every location has good and bad places.You wont get the feel of the surroundings unless you actually make a visit.

Regarding the water stagnation, small roads kind of issues..even prime localities in chennai is like that.Chennaites are used to such things and these factors wouldnt deter the appreciation much.

When a locality appreciates due to spurts in demand, its generally uniform affecting the slums to the most accesible roads alike.

For people like you the best way i feel, is to buy through an acquaintance.Pass the word among your friends and relatives that you want to invest and ask them to let you know if they know personally anyone who wants to sell.Your dealing will be transparent and transaction less risky.

Next, approach co-operative societies/private plot developers and ask them about any resale plots they would be having in their already developed layouts.They may also point you to some of their old customers who want to sell.

For buying land in chennai, CMDA/DTCP approval and clean papers are the first worthiness criteria, location comes next.

Do not trust brokers/watchmen/ironing guy who inflate price unnecessarily.Talk directly with the owner.Avoid lands that have passed hands frequently, Check EC.

Deal properties that have PoA with caution, it can be revoked anytime by the person who has given it and the court can deem the transaction null and void if any case is put up.

As for government acquisation, No objection certificate obtained against acquisation is a joke.It can be squashed anytime.the risk is everywhere.Did you hear about Transferrable development rights(TDR) thats going to get the nod of government soon?it will give the authorities power to acquire even the most prime location within the city.

Dont lose hope as yet,T.nagar which once was a lake(read puranas of temples in the locality) is the commercial/residential hub of chennai.
    CommentQuote
  • Abhishek, a link to T Nagar being a lake, from Puranas would be interesting! Incidentally most famous localities have a different past, Pannampully nagar a wasteland in Cochin is the Ultra rich area, Bishan in Singapore was a Chinese cemetry though in late 90s it was the ultimate place to own a property!
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Natarajg007
    Abhishek, a link to T Nagar being a lake, from Puranas would be interesting! Incidentally most famous localities have a different past, Pannampully nagar a wasteland in Cochin is the Ultra rich area, Bishan in Singapore was a Chinese cemetry though in late 90s it was the ultimate place to own a property!

Couldnt find link to any online article about the sthalapuranam of the temples.

But yes, T.Nagar was a lake surrounded by forests extending till the sea shore.

Its believed that the seashore was not where it is now,it used to be in mylapore.sthalapuranam of kapaleeswarar temple tells that waves would touch the siva lingam from behind.

Its been documented that T.nagar are lowlying areas which were used as tanks to store water for irrigation in 19th century.The soil composition is clay in T.nagar.

Madras was encompassed by these tanks on all sides.People would have heard the names often but maynot realize what it meant.

There were four tanks that defined old madras

1.Spur Tank (Egmore)
    2.Long Tank (T.nagar)
    3.Nungambakkam Tank.
    4.Kodambakkam Tank.

No wonder, these places get flooded every monsoon even today.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by nabishek

Its believed that the seashore was not where it is now,it used to be in mylapore.sthalapuranam of kapaleeswarar temple tells that waves would touch the siva lingam from behind.

Its been documented that T.nagar are lowlying areas which were used as tanks to store water for irrigation in 19th century.The soil composition is clay in T.nagar.

Madras was encompassed by these tanks on all sides.People would have heard the names often but maynot realize what it meant.

1.Spur Tank (Egmore)
    2.Long Tank (T.nagar)
    3.Nungambakkam Tank.
    4.Kodambakkam Tank.

Fantastic history.

I have lived in Egmore for sometime and love that place. The spur tank road which becomes Harrington road from chetpet signal is a very posh locality. Unfortunately today this spur tank lake (its actually a old river) like other old rivers in chennai is polluted and beyond any point of restoration.

Even the beach has been encroached in Chennai. It tickles me to know that beach extended till mylapore. I remember even when I was a kid had to walk almost 1 and half km through marina beach before hitting waters. Today in Besant nagar elliots beach hitting the waters in just a quarter km from road.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by contra
    Fantastic history.

I have lived in Egmore for sometime and love that place. The spur tank road which becomes Harrington road from chetpet signal is a very posh locality. Unfortunately today this spur tank lake (its actually a old river) like other old rivers in chennai is polluted and beyond any point of restoration.

Even the beach has been encroached in Chennai. It tickles me to know that beach extended till mylapore. I remember even when I was a kid had to walk almost 1 and half km through marina beach before hitting waters. Today in Besant nagar elliots beach hitting the waters in just a quarter km from road.

Besant nagar beach is a not the same as Marina. So nothing has really changed! BTW, what is your age. U said as a child. Which year is it? IF it is pre 70s then maybe u can tell me new stories otherwise I know these beaches!
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Natarajg007
    Besant nagar beach is a not the same as Marina. So nothing has really changed! BTW, what is your age. U said as a child. Which year is it? IF it is pre 70s then maybe u can tell me new stories otherwise I know these beaches!

I was a child in 80's and early 90s.

Areas adjacent to marina beach are old areas built during early 20th century when it was still not fashionable to have beach front homes. Marina is a long beach no doubt. Besant nagar (though temples and villages existed much before) was mainly built from 1970s (i hope i m correct) when it became fashionable to have beach front homes or villas. Even I like to have a beach front apartment at Besant Nagar if possible;).

However 2004 tsunami was definately a turning point. Early warning systems being installed will prevent damages next time if it happens, but makes sense to reside in anna nagar, chetpet or even velachery than Besant nagar.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by nabishek
    Couldnt find link to any online article about the sthalapuranam of the temples.

1.Spur Tank (Egmore)
    2.Long Tank (T.nagar)
    3.Nungambakkam Tank.
    4.Kodambakkam Tank.

Abhishek,
    Hmm. Thanks. That was informative enough. I dont think I am going to research Sthalapuranam of Mylapore temple now!
    CommentQuote