Last updated: September 20 2012
4 | Posts
2559 | Views
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farmland in Guduvancheri to Thiruporur road

Hi

I am an ardent fan and a serious reader of the threads in this forum for more than a year. I am from TN and work in Bangalore. Have been wanting to invest in Chennai for a long time. Have got a quote of around 30L per acre for an agriculutural land in an area that is about 17 KM from Guduvancheri and in the interior between Guduvancheri Thiruporur road and SingaPerumal Kovil road. Agriculture is still going on there and there is no road access to the land that i am talking about. It is just an acre among the many acres of land there and there is only 'Varapu' to reach the place. I am not aware of how or where the road will be paved in future as the place is surrounded by many other's agri land. Can you please advise me if this is something that i can get into. My intention of the use of the land is to lease it out to the farmer for say about 10 to 15 years until the land evenutally is converted into residential area(if it gets converted)

Thank you in advance for your inputs

Re : Farmland in Guduvancheri to Thiruporur road

Originally posted by InvRight View Post
    Hi

I am an ardent fan and a serious reader of the threads in this forum for more than a year. I am from TN and work in Bangalore. Have been wanting to invest in Chennai for a long time. Have got a quote of around 30L per acre for an agriculutural land in an area that is about 17 KM from Guduvancheri and in the interior between Guduvancheri Thiruporur road and SingaPerumal Kovil road. Agriculture is still going on there and there is no road access to the land that i am talking about. It is just an acre among the many acres of land there and there is only 'Varapu' to reach the place. I am not aware of how or where the road will be paved in future as the place is surrounded by many other's agri land. Can you please advise me if this is something that i can get into. My intention of the use of the land is to lease it out to the farmer for say about 10 to 15 years until the land evenutally is converted into residential area(if it gets converted)

Are you a Farmer? Do you or Your family own farmlands? As far as I know and heard, its not easy to own and exercise control over a farmland if you are not a farmer/very influential. You might want to consult with a lawyer about the legal tangles before thinking on these lines.

Once you get some answers from the lawyer, please post the same here for everyone's benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by cruise_1982 View Post
      Are you a Farmer? Do you or Your family own farmlands? As far as I know and heard, its not easy to own and exercise control over a farmland if you are not a farmer/very influential. You might want to consult with a lawyer about the legal tangles before thinking on these lines.

Once you get some answers from the lawyer, please post the same here for everyone's benefit.
      Thank You. I am not a farmer, nor do my family members and for sure i am not influential :-). Having said that i heard that there are no restrictions for buying agri land in TN unlike KA. I might be wrong

Comment

Unlike some other states, there are no restrictions in TN on buying agriculture land.

There are no big legal tangles in buying agriculture land. My family owns a couple of agriculture property around Chennai. Compared to buying land in the city, need to take additional measures like:

1) You should go through only a property broker who is known well to you and who has experience in dealing in this market. Like when I was looking around, my broker warned me not to buy land in some villages where the locals are known to create trouble like asking for money to 'take care' of your property.

2) Need to fence the property and keep visiting it once in 3-4 months atleast.

3) Dont ever lease out your land to anyone, least of all a local farmer, let it remain idle.

Legal docs for agricultural property is similar to buying unapproved land in the city. Patta is the proof of ownership, need to look at historical transactions as additional safety measures etc.

We are not influential people, havent had any serious problems in owning agriculture property.

Comment

Originally posted by InvRight View Post
          Hi

Your plan doesnt sound good:

1) From my experience, never buy a land without road access. I know that prices may be less than half as you move to land inside, but its too much uncertainty on how the place will develop in the future and when you will get road access.

2) Dont even think of leasing it back to a local farmer. Tenancy rights are created, diluting your ownership of the property. You will be able to do nothing if the farmer refuses to vacate your land when you need it - you cant fight with the locals.

Comment

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
          Working...
          X