Hi all,
Is it safe to buy patta land. The seller is saying that he can transfer the patta to my name. If I buy the land will I be able to resell it at a later point of time?

Thanks.
Read more
10 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • From What I have heard, You can always buy the land with patta, But you need to research more and buy in a wider road. When You or subsequent buyers approach local bodies for approval at a later time, You/they might lose some portion of land in the front abutting the road. You might also have to pay Urban Land Tax, which depends on the land size and value.

More Knowledgeable members can explain the pros/cons of buying a Patta land.
    CommentQuote
  • If this layout is laid before 1974 ie.when CMDA came in to existance you can buy confidently,but ofcourse after cheking other legalities.Even otherwise also you can buy but you may have to pay charges much higher to get approvals.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Kumarchennai
    Hi all,
    Is it safe to buy patta land. The seller is saying that he can transfer the patta to my name. If I buy the land will I be able to resell it at a later point of time?

Thanks.

You need to do more legal work on patta land and also check identity of seller etc carefully, compared to approved land. With proper legal advise, patta land is safe. Patta itself (if not forged) is the final proof of ownership.

There is a large market for patta land. The NRI types dont buy patta land, but this market is dominated by locals. Whether you will be able to resell your patta land will depend on so many other factors like property location, price etc.
    CommentQuote
  • Pl visit this link eServices - Taluk Offices

1. Verify whether Patta is in sellers name clearly in web site

2. Verify A register for Adangal,Patta,Chitta

3. If it is not there or in joint Patta including sellers name, ask him to get individual Patta,Topo map,FMB sketch clearly indicating the site layout after surveyors measurement

4. Get the land registered in your name alongwith Patta transfers forms.

5. Your name will appear in website within 3 months and you may apply for Patta name transfer which will be given in 2 days time

Originally Posted by Kumarchennai
    Hi all,

Thanks.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Kumarchennai
    Hi all,

Thanks.

What did you mean by patta land?

Is it a plot of land located in unapproved layout? If so, can we say the land will have deed and patta?

or

Is it a land that has only patta and no deed documents? The person (who has patta for the land in his name) might have inherited the land by use (anubhava pathiadai) from his forefathers.
    CommentQuote
  • All lands are classified as Agri,commercial,Residential,mixing,restricted ,Poromboke land for ex by Govt .

Patta a valid document to the owner of that land is issued either in single name or joint names if more than 2 plots are covered in such area.

For govt lands ( and Poromboke lands - no ownership exists ) , Patta will never be issued to individual as it belongs to Govt.

If anyone fabricates Patta for Govt or Porombokel ands and try to sell to individual,it becomes illegal.

Hence one should buy Patta land which is certified by Tashildhars and Revenue Officer in respective zone to avoid the legal title issue later

It may be in approved or ump approved sites. One can not get approval from Govt when there is no Patta . It is a passport in right analogy

Originally Posted by Garuda
    What did you mean by patta land?

Is it a plot of land located in unapproved layout? If so, can we say the land will have deed and patta?

or

Is it a land that has only patta and no deed documents? The person (who has patta for the land in his name) might have inherited the land by use (anubhava pathiadai) from his forefathers.
    CommentQuote
  • Gents, here is the updated URL for the site mentioned by REC2013 :
    http://edistrict.tn.gov.in:8080/eservicesnew/home.html
    You will need tamil fonts (or click on the English version link on the right) and also will need to work out which taluk/district your land comes under. For example, my north chennai property was found under Thiruvallur and South Chennai came under Kanchipuram...
    CommentQuote
  • OK, wasnt looking to resurrect an old thread. There was a post above mine by Economist about patta number misuse by a few TN revenue dept. officials. I guess it disappeared as it was in Tamil.
    CommentQuote
  • IMV, i see the following advantages with approved plots
    1) Well designed layouts with wide roads and parks etc
    2) Loan eligibility. Mind that if it is unapproved, you have to wait for a right cash party in future re-sale. In other words, difficult to find buyers
    3) Re-sale value in future.

Few issues in unapproved plots/patta plots
    1) Delay in getting construction approval (you might have to pay hefty bribe to get approval if at all possible)
    2) from land purchase to construction, you need to have cash liquidity since loan approval is not possible
    CommentQuote
  • Just adding some more information on this for reader's future reference .

There was a detailed news on panchayat layouts published in Dinakaran Dated 26-Dec-2013, page 8. Given the link below on the news. கிராம பஞ்சாயத்துகளில் இனி வீட்டுமனை அனுமதிக்கு புது கட்டுப்பாடு
    CommentQuote