Hello everyone,

I am looking for some input related to construction cost. Here is some background info.

Looking to construct a house with 6 independent units (for 6 family members). 2 units on Ground floor, 2 units on first floor and 1 unit on second floor. Total area including stairwell is roughly 5700 sq. ft. There is a 1000 sq. ft car parking area in the front on the ground floor.

To give you a sense of the quality of construction: RCC framework, Ultra tech cement, Tata Steel rods, vitrified 2x2 tiles, teakwood for door frames/windows etc. and good quality paint for interior and exteriors. Given the quality of the soil in this area, the structural engineer has advised that we build pile foundation (60 piles each to a depth of 18 feet).

Here are my questions:
1. How much should I expect to pay per sq. ft for a project like this?
2. There is 12000 litre underground sump for water. How much would this cost?
3. How would the total construction cost break down by stages? For example, how much of the cost would be incurred by the time the foundation has been completed (piles completed, land raised 3.5 feet from the road level using good quality sand and surface finished off with PCC and underground sump completed).

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Read more
52 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Excellent question. Waiting to see an excellent answer!! BTW, can we ever believe any builder to do the job without our having to daily visit the site! Can I believe any builder (not flat builder but one who builds a house for an individual)? If anyone has any useful names please do share!
    CommentQuote
  • an excellent question.If there is anyone who can give an informative reply to this question iam all years.However,i am unable to give a
    valuable input on this .Would greatly appreciate inputs from forum members who have experience in constructing.
    regards
    unlikely
    CommentQuote
  • blind calc

rs 1000/- sq.ft roughly
    CommentQuote
  • U can add another 100 rupees, (i.e) 1100/- because all the quality of materials are under that 100 rupees, I have done construction for both 950/- as well as for 1100/- i can see a meaningful difference by paying 150 rs extra pwe sq ft, but remember 100 rs extra for 5000 sq ft is 5 lakhs extra from your pocket.:)
    CommentQuote
  • Can you specify what you get for Rs 1100/ psft. Type of flooring, is compound wall included, is water tank included. Do we have to watch this builder day in and day out? All these will be informative.
    I strictly believe that no worker in Chennai can be trusted and we need to manage him to get your building done? Will love to be proved wrong as I can then think of construction!
    CommentQuote
  • I agree with Nataraj that no construction worker can be fully trusted. They are constantly looking to cut corners and put money in their pockets by using inferior materials or covering up shoddy work. Solution? Do your home work and pick the materials ahead of time then give him the specific materials you want to use then put it in writing. I don't know if this works in chennai but it does work in the USA. If he is not crooked and he wants the job, he will sign the papers.:D
    CommentQuote
  • I checked with my uncle who is in construction field just for this post. He said Rs1100/sq.ft is constuction cost nowadays and it is normal rate in chennai now.

He also said even for Rs900/sqft or Rs950/sq.ft can be done but will have to make compromises.
    CommentQuote
  • Just would like to add another query related to apartment construction cost.

Read from another thread that L&T Eden is using some advanced construction technology & it cost them Rs 2430 PSQFT. Am reading from this thread that the average is around Rs 1000 PSQFT . And hence not able to beleive Rs 2430.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by sethugm
    Just would like to add another query related to apartment construction cost.

Read from another thread that L&T Eden is using some advanced construction technology & it cost them Rs 2430 PSQFT. Am reading from this thread that the average is around Rs 1000 PSQFT . And hence not able to beleive Rs 2430.

Rs 1000 is pure construction cost

Rs 2430 is entire flat cost including UDS land
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ferrous_1
    I agree with Nataraj that no construction worker can be fully trusted. They are constantly looking to cut corners and put money in their pockets by using inferior materials or covering up shoddy work. Solution? Do your home work and pick the materials ahead of time then give him the specific materials you want to use then put it in writing. I don't know if this works in chennai but it does work in the USA. If he is not crooked and he wants the job, he will sign the papers.:D

Even after signing papers there is no recourse if the builder defaults. Can we ever get justice in time in any Indian court?

As for 2430psft of LandT. The big builders with huge overheads talk about huge costs. No doubt L&T is one of the best builders but if you can manage the show the same will probably cost 1500psft.
    CommentQuote
  • Hi guys, Sorry to revoke this thread. I am looking for constructing an individual house in AGS nagar (behind Kamakodi Nagar - Velachery Main road).
    What will be the construction cost in this place, I had one constructor who quoted 2000Rs/Sq. I felt it is way tooo much.
    Gurus please tell me
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by arunragavan
    Hi guys, Sorry to revoke this thread. I am looking for constructing an individual house in AGS nagar (behind Kamakodi Nagar - Velachery Main road).
    What will be the construction cost in this place, I had one constructor who quoted 2000Rs/Sq. I felt it is way tooo much.
    Gurus please tell me

Construction cost will be between Rs 900 to Rs 1200 per sqft depending on specs. Overhead tank, septic tank,sump, bore well,pump,boundary wall are extra.

If he quotes Rs 2000, he is looting
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by contra
    I checked with my uncle who is in construction field just for this post. He said Rs1100/sq.ft is constuction cost nowadays and it is normal rate in chennai now.

He also said even for Rs900/sqft or Rs950/sq.ft can be done but will have to make compromises.

Dear friend,

I have seen advertisements in leading dailies indicating construction cost varying between Rs. 850 to 1100/sq.ft. Earlier it used to be around Rs. 1500 for a decent construction and it is somewhat less due to the current materials cost. I feel, with a constant and periodical visit to verify/check up the materials and work at site, around Rs. 1250 may be a workable rate for the built up area indicated with compound wall etc. etc., of course the contract being given to a medium size good builder.

ks2071746
    CommentQuote
  • Lovebird:2000 is looting. I think this view is fair under normal circumstances though if the builder is giving you genuine Italian marble flooring it might be cheap.
    KS and many others: 900 to 1200. That is typical construction in Chennai. Almost sure such a flat is made for PURELY MIDDLE CLASS. Even the wall will not be straight.
    My view: If you manage as KS tells you might be able to get a straight wall and a good construction for even the Rs 1250. However your cost of management will make the real price much higher.
    Summary: Chennai is a place where man eats man! So if you are the better man eater then the price is what you pay!
    Cheers!
    CommentQuote
  • construction calculations

Hello,
    I'm looking for some guidance in sq footage calculations for construction. I'm planning to engage a suitable builder for construction of G+1 plan with car parking space and in the first floor 2 balcony/terrace spaces + 1 space that has double height.

How is the sqft calculated for these spaces (what is the norm)?
    What is the cost range for compound wall?
    What are some of the different kinds of flooring available for car park? I have read some stilt parking in these pages.

Can someone point me to any resources (websites?) that have some info that I can use to do my homework properly before signing a contract with some builder?

Also, I'm open to suggestions for good reliable contractors to do the construction. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Also, thanks to all those folks who have provided several info on these pages. That makes this site a very valuable tool for folks like me without much background on these topics.
    CommentQuote