Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Are The Elements Involved in Constructing A House in Chennai?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse

What Are The Elements Involved in Constructing A House in Chennai?

Last updated: October 24 2012
65 | Posts
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : What Are The Elements Involved in Constructing A House in Chennai?

Originally posted by ferrous_1 View Post
    I agree with Nataraj that no construction worker can be fully trusted. They are constantly looking to cut corners and put money in their pockets by using inferior materials or covering up shoddy work. Solution? Do your home work and pick the materials ahead of time then give him the specific materials you want to use then put it in writing. I don't know if this works in chennai but it does work in the USA. If he is not crooked and he wants the job, he will sign the papers.
    Even after signing papers there is no recourse if the builder defaults. Can we ever get justice in time in any Indian court?

As for 2430psft of LandT. The big builders with huge overheads talk about huge costs. No doubt L&T is one of the best builders but if you can manage the show the same will probably cost 1500psft.

Comment

Hi guys, Sorry to revoke this thread. I am looking for constructing an individual house in AGS nagar (behind Kamakodi Nagar - Velachery Main road).
      What will be the construction cost in this place, I had one constructor who quoted 2000Rs/Sq. I felt it is way tooo much.
      Gurus please tell me

Comment

Originally posted by arunragavan View Post
        Hi guys, Sorry to revoke this thread. I am looking for constructing an individual house in AGS nagar (behind Kamakodi Nagar - Velachery Main road).
        What will be the construction cost in this place, I had one constructor who quoted 2000Rs/Sq. I felt it is way tooo much.
        Gurus please tell me
        Construction cost will be between Rs 900 to Rs 1200 per sqft depending on specs. Overhead tank, septic tank,sump, bore well,pump,boundary wall are extra.

If he quotes Rs 2000, he is looting

Comment

Originally posted by contra View Post
          I checked with my uncle who is in construction field just for this post. He said Rs1100/sq.ft is constuction cost nowadays and it is normal rate in chennai now.

He also said even for Rs900/sqft or Rs950/sq.ft can be done but will have to make compromises.
          Dear friend,

I have seen advertisements in leading dailies indicating construction cost varying between Rs. 850 to 1100/sq.ft. Earlier it used to be around Rs. 1500 for a decent construction and it is somewhat less due to the current materials cost. I feel, with a constant and periodical visit to verify/check up the materials and work at site, around Rs. 1250 may be a workable rate for the built up area indicated with compound wall etc. etc., of course the contract being given to a medium size good builder.

ks2071746

Comment

Lovebird:2000 is looting. I think this view is fair under normal circumstances though if the builder is giving you genuine Italian marble flooring it might be cheap.
            KS and many others: 900 to 1200. That is typical construction in Chennai. Almost sure such a flat is made for PURELY MIDDLE CLASS. Even the wall will not be straight.
            My view: If you manage as KS tells you might be able to get a straight wall and a good construction for even the Rs 1250. However your cost of management will make the real price much higher.
            Summary: Chennai is a place where man eats man! So if you are the better man eater then the price is what you pay!
            Cheers!

Comment

construction calculations

Hello,
              I'm looking for some guidance in sq footage calculations for construction. I'm planning to engage a suitable builder for construction of G+1 plan with car parking space and in the first floor 2 balcony/terrace spaces + 1 space that has double height.

How is the sqft calculated for these spaces (what is the norm)?
              What is the cost range for compound wall?
              What are some of the different kinds of flooring available for car park? I have read some stilt parking in these pages.

Can someone point me to any resources (websites?) that have some info that I can use to do my homework properly before signing a contract with some builder?

Also, I'm open to suggestions for good reliable contractors to do the construction. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
              Also, thanks to all those folks who have provided several info on these pages. That makes this site a very valuable tool for folks like me without much background on these topics.
              Last edited by arv05; September 2 2009, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sethugm View Post
                Just would like to add another query related to apartment construction cost.

Read from another thread that L&T Eden is using some advanced construction technology & it cost them Rs 2430 PSQFT. Am reading from this thread that the average is around Rs 1000 PSQFT . And hence not able to beleive Rs 2430.
                L&T says that they are constructing walls with concrete (not with bricks), and they advertise that the buildings withstand earthquakes. This may be the reason for the cost difference.

Comment

Construction cost

Just now i completed the construction of my house. Costed me around 800-900 /sqft with teak wood for enrance doors, patak for windows, tiles for flooring . Engineer was reasonable though at the end of the construction he asked additional 1 lakh ( quality was good so i did nt mind paying this).

Most of the engineers /construtors will charge you the full amount for carparking area and slab area but half or even 1/4 of the amount is justfiable for these areas. let me know if you need any more information. ( so far i have constructed 2 houses with engineers and would say second one is good )

Comment

Hi chandra

i have query . i want to leave ground floor fully for car parking will the builder still charge 1000 rs/s.ft for that. please clarify.

Comment

Originally posted by chandra_2009 View Post
                      Just now i completed the construction of my house. Costed me around 800-900 /sqft with teak wood for enrance doors, patak for windows, tiles for flooring . Engineer was reasonable though at the end of the construction he asked additional 1 lakh ( quality was good so i did nt mind paying this).

Most of the engineers /construtors will charge you the full amount for carparking area and slab area but half or even 1/4 of the amount is justfiable for these areas. let me know if you need any more information. ( so far i have constructed 2 houses with engineers and would say second one is good )
                      Can we have Engineer details, who has done good work to your house - Siva

Comment

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                      Working...
                      X