I have never been a fan of gated communities / huge apartment complexes but recently I am slightly nudging towards it but still ...I do not believe that these gated commuities will sustain the longrun....

more or less they might become like the colony in the prabhu-vineetha starrer film ( I do not remember the name though)..
All it takes is a small feud to spark things around leading to major commotion...

The closest Ive come to living inside a gated community is that of living in a police quarters for 28 years of my life but in that all maintenance stuff is taken care of by the government and no association was there for any politics to be present...

People who have been living in large apartment complexes (200+) or in gated communities for more than 10 years (not builder managed by community managed) can enlighten us

Indian gated communities only please
Read more
64 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Not sure what your concern is as i have not seen the movie mentioned by you. I have lived in a gated community in Velachery for 8 years and really enjoyed it. Kids have a good time and festivals were celebrated as a community. Gated communities with lots of open spaces,play areas, shared amenities is the way of life in future for people who aspire for a better quality of life in Indian cities.
    CommentQuote
  • If you are aware that townships and gated communities are common living style in many foreign countries. It is proven to be a very comfortable, safe and convinient living environment for residence. Basically the quality of life has increased tremendously. That trend and culture is moving into India and I can see that happening in Chennai. People are seeking for comfortable, safe and quality living environment which is provided by townships and gated community. Ammenities are also within reach now. So my prediction is that the trend will move towards townships and gated community and people will look out for this. Current living styles with multi families living in one building will not be favoured. Congested areas will be avoided and rentals in these areas will go down because people will move out to suburbans. Apartments and houses without carparks will be face severe crisis in obtaining tenants. This is what happened in many developed countries and now India will face the same thing.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by vpsureshkumar
    If you are aware that townships and gated communities are common living style in many foreign countries. It is proven to be a very comfortable, safe and convinient living environment for residence. Basically the quality of life has increased tremendously. That trend and culture is moving into India and I can see that happening in Chennai. People are seeking for comfortable, safe and quality living environment which is provided by townships and gated community. Ammenities are also within reach now. So my prediction is that the trend will move towards townships and gated community and people will look out for this. Current living styles with multi families living in one building will not be favoured. Congested areas will be avoided and rentals in these areas will go down because people will move out to suburbans. Apartments and houses without carparks will be face severe crisis in obtaining tenants. This is what happened in many developed countries and now India will face the same thing.

Would you be able to name 10 developed countries apart from the US, Canada and Australia where gated communities are so very common...... And these are countries with pockets of development and vast vacant lands in between towns or cities...

If you understood the concept of paid carparks and multilevel carparks and how they came into existence in the western world I am sure you wouldnt have said the second statement.

And also there is no one such factor that determines people moving to suburbans. It is happening in Chennai because of the OMR IT stretch and the Mahindra tech park and the rest of the Tech companies situated out of the city and people see growth in here for their investment and reduced commuting.

The places you have in mind while penning ur post are those commuter towns in the middle of nowhere i.e inbetween two busy cities or the suburb of a busy city where people move to in direct correlation with the rising rent in the city/....

I can write a lot more but this would turn into a debate... I started the thread to know the experience of people who already are experiencing the lifestyle
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by gandhi123
    Not sure what your concern is as i have not seen the movie mentioned by you. I have lived in a gated community in Velachery for 8 years and really enjoyed it. Kids have a good time and festivals were celebrated as a community. Gated communities with lots of open spaces,play areas, shared amenities is the way of life in future for people who aspire for a better quality of life in Indian cities.

would like to know the politics inside if any, the hassles involved in taking major decisions. what happens if one flat/household out of 300 or so if affected and the cost involved is high....this sorta...
    CommentQuote
  • I feel that gated communities are good for end use but not for investment in the long run. By long run, I mean 20-30 years, when it's time for reconstruction, the only thing that holds value is your UDS and most gated communities with huge open spaces have low UDS. For the same investment amount, one could probably get bigger land parcel outside the gated community in the same area. So an apt in gated community- Im not sure if it will be a good investment for your next generation (as compared to an independent house/plot etc). In many ways buying an apt could just be a glorified version of lease.

However for end use, gated communities are no doubt good, providing all the amenities and a community living.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by vpsureshkumar
    If you are aware that townships and gated communities are common living style in many foreign countries.

In US, people only rent in gated communities. I've not heard of people buying an apt in a community except for few condos here and there.
    As soon as it comes to owning a place, its mostly some form of independent house.
    CommentQuote
  • The gated community is catching up in India and better than living in individual home where security is the issue. I like the atmosphere with lot of kids playing around. however the maintenance is the issue and it is laborious process to collect money from individuals to take care of major expenses.
    CommentQuote
  • Guys,

Let's focus on the OP's concern - group maintenance of common areas and amenities. Do they pay the maintenance regularly? What happens if a few parties do not cooperate? These kind of practical issues...

I also own an individual house, but have booked a apartment in a 300+ gated community for want of security, playmates for my kids, better social interaction, etc. But just as OP is concerned, I am also a bit skeptical about the maintenance part as our folks are famous for selfishness and kanjus mindset and non-cooperation for well-being initiatives.

I have read a court judgement that the community can cut off water supply(and other essentials) to an unit which is not paying up maintenance fees. So this could help to an extent dealing with those characters. But what if that person is a local goonda, person with connections, etc. This brings us back to square one.
    CommentQuote
  • The association do not have any right to shut off Water supply to residents for non-payment of Maintenance fees.The resident can take them to court.The association can deal with erring residents legally only.We faced this issue in our apartment complex also.If possible please provide the link of the court judgement.
    CommentQuote
  • Good topic!

As a concept Community living is a fantastic opportunity where you get to mix with variety of people across geography, ethnicities and countries. I also lived in a township (BHEL) where the quality of life was 50 years ahead (during 1970s80s) with very well planned, roads, drainage, water supply, maintenance, play area, one of the best schools in the country, religious worship places etc...With its impressive life style, people started (including my family) mimicking this in near by place (BHELPUR) with excellent layout spanning 30-40 acres filled with 140-200 individuals (all independent home) wit roads, underground drainage, common piped water supply to all houses, common septic tank with treated water diverted to nearby canal where water was primarily used for irrigation - I am talking about the model township in 1980s....

But now, with 10 acres of land filled with population of entire township in my place that spanned thousands of acres of land - Not sure if this is sustainable without adequate support system.

In Western countries they first complete all infrastructure development before start developing the community. There is a clear guidelines prescribed for each area and there will not be mix of class to ensure safe living. Community patrols will fine homes that are not maintained properly (here you would question why I should clean my house sort of arguments).

Our vision and intelligence is lightyears behind what is being followed in West. We can at best make some crude attempts and expect our favourite Gods to complete the rest.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by g.v.kumar
    The association do not have any right to shut off Water supply to residents for non-payment of Maintenance fees.The resident can take them to court.The association can deal with erring residents legally only.We faced this issue in our apartment complex also.If possible please provide the link of the court judgement.

Thanks for the info. I googled, but am not able to find that link. But I see lot of links stating otherwise. So I might be wrong here or the judgement I has seen was one-off.

Wow, taking the unruly tenant/owner to court would go on for years. May god bless gated communities and its decent owers :(
    CommentQuote
  • In the coming years, keeping crunch for water and electricity in mind, i vote for a gated community only. always group buying wins. Our govts failed miserably to provide good public parks and pleasant residential ares. So we have to do all this ourselves. I beleive passion for gated comms will keep increasing in people. And already there is price diff of 5-8 lacks in gated and regular stand alone houses (in basic cost).
    CommentQuote
  • I do agree that group buying always gives you an upper hand but I do have my doubts about the concept of group buying of water and DG expenses.I / We would like to hear the take of someone who has experience of things that have gone wrong in their community and how they overcame such situations (practical only not some thing i.e on paper which cannot be enforced in real life due to scenarios in real life)

Group buying always is successful where all parties with vested interest get their due correctly. i.e We all go to a movie, the expenses should be shared equally or in other terms If in a group, when everyone spends rs.10 and a few get more for their spend and a few less it may lead to dissatisfaction among them and compromises only work in short term and seldom in long term.

Again, when spending on electric backups, water surcharges and garbage disposal where everyone pools in their share to ease operations there will always be a few freeloaders, spongers and the like who use more than they are supposed to. And this will spark emotions here and there as is always possible where money is involved (everyone apart from a gifted few work hard to earn it dont they).

A picture perfect scenario follows. I own and occupy a property in a gated community / apartment bloack where sufficient backup for elctricity, water and garbage disposal is paid by the pooled maintenance amount shared by the community. My occupancy is for 2 people against my neighbour who lives with his extended family of 6. Now rationally assuming equal usage per person my neighbour uses 3 times more resources than I do though we each occupy the same floor having equal sized properties.

With the absense of separate Electric meters for DG provided electricity and water meters for water usage at each property, I am required (at current majority apartment scenes) to pay by the floor area.

isnt this unjust? why should I pay for my neighbours expenditure. Also will the capital and operational expenses be shared by the ownersof vacant properties. If they do pay for all, I agree with the capital expense but arent they being penalised by sharing the operational expense i.e the month on month usage cost which they actually didnt use.

Coming back to water scarcity (i.e when all ground water is dried up) raised by the poster before me, We are a family of 4 and we use approx 500 - 600 litres of water a day when we dont se the washer and 700 - 800 litres per day when we wash our clothes. So buying a lorry of water i.e 16000 litres will come for atleast 15 days. And we can survive the worst of scarcities even if we buy one lorry of water month by rationing our priorities. But when the water scarcity hits (0 ground water) these huge apartment blocks or gated communities with common water storage / pumping facilites it will be a great job in itself to locate water suppliers who could supply 10's of lakhs of litres of water every day. Isnt this a drawback in such scenarios. And even if you find a provider, places where water meters are not installed controlling selfish spongers will be a job in itself next to impossible.

The above said, I would like to raise another subquestion, If you are living in a gated community / apartment complex which provides DG backup and private water supply, does your property have separate meters for DG electric and water. Even if yours doesnt, it would really help if you just print your community down and say whether it does or doesnt and the rationale and the rate behind your maintenance charges and what amount you pay now.
    Thanks
    CommentQuote
  • IMO gated communities in Chennai will be a failure (at least medium term) since there are many unfavourable factors.

1. Chennai people never get united (it is a general curse in Tamil Nadu due to various reasons which I am not going to touch upon)
    2. Water resources in TN limited to provide consistent in large volumes for such huge gated communities
    3. It typically takes 20 years for a normal residential localities (mostly made of individual houses) to get underground drainage
    4. Exorbitant maintenance cost keeps increasing
    5. Failed piped gas connections, inadequate telecom network in a large complex
    6. Too many people to access common utilities and amenities - associations start charging unreasonable amount to curb misuse of facilities. Eventually all amenities will be only on paper
    7. Deisel & Genset expenses going to increase(thanks recent steps remove oil subsidies) to operate pressurised pumps & to operate lifts
    8. Non Resident owners don't care about quality of tenants, leave unwanted neighbours in your communities (bachelors, drunkard, eve teasers, drug addicts to name a few)
    9. Frequent water outage, electrical outages even you can't use toilets if something is broken in one place
    10. Any spoiler in the community affects the whole community
    11. Very difficult to manage large associations(beyond 150-200) due to kind of complex issues
    12. Your tenants may not be liked by the association citing various reasons as excuse
    14. If you are non resident, chances are very high that you may have to pay for water & electricity though you may have locked your door for months - typically residents in the association take dominant position (citing implementation issues to measure usage of water or deisel). Most often non residents end up paying for usage of residents
    15. ..........
    CommentQuote
  • Agree,
    Very good analysis dear
    CommentQuote