I have never been a fan of gated communities / huge apartment complexes but recently I am slightly nudging towards it but still ...I do not believe that these gated commuities will sustain the longrun....

more or less they might become like the colony in the prabhu-vineetha starrer film ( I do not remember the name though)..
All it takes is a small feud to spark things around leading to major commotion...

The closest Ive come to living inside a gated community is that of living in a police quarters for 28 years of my life but in that all maintenance stuff is taken care of by the government and no association was there for any politics to be present...

People who have been living in large apartment complexes (200+) or in gated communities for more than 10 years (not builder managed by community managed) can enlighten us

Indian gated communities only please
Read more
64 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Regarding #1, is this a reason that TN has got more political parties than anywhere in the world or may be in the galaxy?

Originally Posted by Ramchi
    IMO gated communities in Chennai will be a failure (at least medium term) since there are many unfavourable factors.

1. Chennai people never get united (it is a general curse in Tamil Nadu due to various reasons which I am not going to touch upon)IMO gated communities in Chennai will be a failure (at least medium term) since there are many unfavourable factors.

1. Chennai people never get united (it is a general curse in Tamil Nadu due to various reasons which I am not going to touch upon)
    CommentQuote
  • Absolutely true. The maintenance cost keeps increasing each year and every few years, we would also have to incur the developmental cost (painting, repairing amenities, replacing/repairing gensets, etc). Chennai townships will go through a learning curve and the township maintenance will be standardized and outsourced to professional entities by the next decade. Till then, people living in townships will have to face a lot of issues and the welfare associations will not be able to cope up. Apartments with 50-200 houses would be a better bet till then.
    CommentQuote
  • I enjoyed staying in a independent house in T Nagar. Now Traffic is a nightmare. Today invading Two Wheelers just keep hooting with high frequency horn even though there are no traffic on the road. They dont know to slow down or stop on need basis and just want to whiz past and hence use horns indicriminately day in and out. This affects the peace and tranquility of residential areas. Moreoever every household think and act differently and does not collectively think and execute. People simply dont practice Social Etiquette. This is where gated communities come handy where like minded people come together with similar expectations. For anything a group is there to solve issues At least my family feels that today there is peace of mind and can sleep peacefully. No outside vehicle can comes inside. There is no infringement from neighbours like dumping their waste by the side of your property etc as there is a garbage collection system. I think that people would slowly move towards gated communities for all such reasons. With more people going to gated communities the price of landed gated communities will go up. Apartment gated communities has however got its own challenges.
    CommentQuote
  • I think when?, where? and how? matter a lot when it comes to judging the concept of a gated community.

1. Till mid nineties, in Chennai, it would've appeared a silly idea. Even today, there are good cities where a gated community is a alien concept. You don't need it if town planning is done well by the appropriate authorities. Imagine anna nagar back in 80's, and several similar areas, it was just a large well planned gated community. We all prefer a decent ambiance around us. Town planning in Chennai is long forgotten concept. We have no other go, but to form planned micro towns at our own expense. Of course it costs!

2. In western countries gated communities are preferred only for the security aspect, especially by those with a transferable job.

3. The social mix of the community matters. Show me one gated community that tries for a mix of families from different financial levels! In a way the gated community as an answer to provide better social gathering for the family and kids is fake! We do not want to mix with people below our financial position, we even fear them, and we cannot mingle with those above us!
    CommentQuote
  • Concept as such is not alien at all as I explained that in a remote places in Tamil Nadu successfully attempted model township concepts long back.

Community living comes with lots of give and take and it is not for making profit. Now a days, community living becomes horror due to various resource constraints and profit motives of service providers - meaning, it will be expensive proposition to live in a successful gated communities. Not all ready to pay. Now most of the buyers only seeing the 3D animations and flash demos in the website and in broachers. It takes lots of effort to just live in such places if you have not already experienced it.

The gated community in which I have bought one unit where Association staff (without pay) nearly spending 18 hours a day 24 X 7 to run the community. When it was given to the builder, the service level was pathetic or ask for ransom as maintenance charges.
    CommentQuote
  • Individual houses are good if the members of the family are atleat 4 and above. At any given time atleast 2 should stay at home.

For less no. and if every one is employed, it is more risky to be in individual house. It is applicable to only big cities ofcourse.

For kids it will be a boring place

For price appreciation houses score better than apartments
    CommentQuote
  • Sorry for my illiteracy but what is a Gated community. Having a gate! Jokes apart in India we have multiple meanings (0 to a large number) for the same word. So a house with a gate is gated community? An apartment with 12 flats is a GC or is a 20acre area with 2000 flats a GC or the 20acres or 200acre should have 200 or 2000 houses or atleast row houses to be a GC!
    Let me talk from my knowledge. If you are in an independant house then you/your family controls all resources moving in or out of your property. Well you cant control the road or the neighbour but yet you are king of the ring. If you are in a flat you control upto the door of the flat. From the common area stairs your control disappears. In a villa contained GC if I can say so, your control stops with the end of your villa maybe it is gated or it is fenced or just laid free.
    Now the question of sharing payments is where the problem starts. In an individual house you pay to the govt. and you get resources from them. It is more legally prudent whether or not your govt functions or not. However once in an apartment complex whether with 12 or 120 or 1200 the problem is it becomes a LOCAL SELF GOVT. called as association which has Limited Powers. Limit tends to zero. Very often the association can swindle but it cannot control everyone and force everyone to pay. So in all such complexes there are various types of folks.
    1. The old retiree trying to timepass managing the system and feeling that taking a job is better.
    2. The criminal association secretary trying to siphon off money for his personal interest.
    3. The typical landlord just living without thinking.
    4. The complaining tenant who wants more than he pays
    and finally the outsider who thinks something is good or bad about that place without really knowing it!
    Now some apartments are managed for multiple years by the builder. With a decent builder, until this happens things work well. Once the builder is totally out and it is the association then the quality of living is directly a function of the quality of members of the association (MOA) and their time and interest.
    In summary I think I would yet live in a house than in a GC whatever be the definition. I know that in a complex with 12 flats atleast one will give trouble always and another 2 to 5 will play around. If it become 1000s the problem is compounded. Also old buildings are less preferred by the newer generation so they will not have any value over periods of time. Finally after 30 years the value of a complex is the value of the land and since you really own nothing directly your flat value willbe what others assume. Whether it is a flat or villa; I meant your dwellings value! However in a GC there are other advantages as long as it lasts from the perceived security to the idea that someone else is carrying your headaches. (We never think the govt or civic bodies carry our headaches as we think they are paid; but why do association members need to carry others' headaches...did u think of it!)
    I am not answering the problem but well the problem exists. So dont worry, the answer is simple. The lesser you carry the lesser the worry. Lesser the folks you deal with the lesser is the trouble. However if you have the art of manipulaton, the more the crowd the more you can manipulate!!
    CommentQuote
  • In some societies in NCR the associations has passed a resolution that one can’t rent his apartment to bachelors and you can’t have more than one bike etc. One of my friend was trying to rent his apartment has faced this situation recently.
    So renting out the apartment is a big challenge in the gated communities.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by dhiren1
    In some societies in NCR the associations has passed a resolution that one can’t rent his apartment to bachelors and you can’t have more than one bike etc. One of my friend was trying to rent his apartment has faced this situation recently.
    So renting out the apartment is a big challenge in the gated communities.

Even resolutions passed in Legislative assemblies have been successfully challenged in court. You can rent it to whoever you want if they are not criminal elements or of the same mindset.

If the landlord doesnt want to rent it out to specific people it his choice and well within his rights. Having a pet, renting it out to people and the like cannot be legally restricted by any kangaroo court whatever name they go by. I'm sure I read something in the papers about a court judgement w.r.t. the same. (Open to correction)

But people do adjust and sacrifice a lot to live among others and it happens a lot
    CommentQuote
  • [QUOTE=ZeeEnn;
    Let me talk from my knowledge. If you are in an independant house then you/your family controls all resources moving in or out of your property--->

Ya. You mean then living in suburbs. No way you can live in Independent house with in city and having both sides covered by either hugh commercials or apartments!

.< Well you cant control the road or the neighbour but yet you are king of the ring.>

Yep. You are King until masked men show up in front of door in the middle of night .aka. Security issues!
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by sunr2i
    eeEnn;
    Let me talk from my knowledge. If you are in an independant house then you/your family controls all resources moving in or out of your property--->

Ya. You mean then living in suburbs. No way you can live in Independent house with in city and having both sides covered by either hugh commercials or apartments!

.< Well you cant control the road or the neighbour but yet you are king of the ring.>

Yep. You are King until masked men show up in front of door in the middle of night .aka. Security issues!

@sunr2i, Thefts and crimes happen equally in gated communities as well. The compound walls and the security guards provide a false sense of security at best. I am living in apartments in chennai for the past 25 years and this is what I have observed.

@sunr2i, Thefts and crimes happen equally in gated communities as well. The compound walls and the security guards provide a false sense of security at best. I am living in apartments in chennai for the past 25 years and this is what I have observed.
    CommentQuote
  • No, there is a difference in living in indivdual home and apartment complex as far as security issues are concerned.

Definitely apartments ( gated community) give better security.

In gated community hardly I see a news item some theives entered, killed the owner and robbed jewels.

In individual homes we see this almost every month either within city limits or in outskirts
    CommentQuote
  • * Security is issue in both apartment/GC and individual houses. But it is always better in GC/apartments. For individual house, threat can come from strangers ( robbers, fake sales executives ) or known people ( cylinder guy, goorkha, online friend etc ).. in apartments/GC it will mostly come from known person ( source: years of newspaper reading ). In secured GC/Apartments, unknown / unwanted people can't enter. When it comes to security, I will prefer to live in a GC / apartment which have securities.

* Be it individual home / apartment, you can't just rent out to anyone you want. Or atleast you have to comply when there is an issue raised by neighbors. I was living in an individual house.. and our neighbor rented to a bachelor. There supposed to be 2 guys to stay, but only 1 was staying. He started to bring girls, different girl every time, atleast 4 times every week; especially in late nights.. even though we neighbors didn't directly affected, it started an uncomfortable feeling and we raised complaint to that house owner to vacate that guy and also not to rent to bachelors any more. He vacated that guy in next 20 days. If that neighbor house owner didn't accept, we would have complained to police saying that pros***tion is going on in that house. because I have individual house, I don't believe that I can be insensitive to others. Lets not speak about apartments, you can't simply rent out to anyone as there could be various restrictions by associations or may be requested by next apartment owner.

* In most of the GC/apartments, swimming pool kind of facilities are eye-wash. The loading and amenities mostly don't match-up in a country like India. Builders do this as most of the the people don't use these kinda amenities. but in recent years the situation is slowly changing. Expect a heavy rationing to use amenities which may irritate you to the extend, that you won't care to use it anymore. Ofcourse many things depends on the very kind of GC/apartment you live in. Many builders construct apartments with the mindset we are orphans and we won't have any relatives/friends to visit us.. I am speaking about free spaces to park / visitor car parking etc..

As you getting aged, economy develops, lifestyle changes, quality of life will improves. Your interest / young family members interest may diversify & grow. You may want to play TT with your family members in roof, may like to experiment with carpentry / pot making etc etc in your roof, may like to grow vegetables in your garden / roof.. these kinda stuff mostly not possible in GC / apartments. Getting your dresses dried will have challenges in apartments. Don't tell me you have drier or balcony. When I live in apartments, my dresses easily affected by fungus if I don't wear for certain times. Direct, perfect sunlight is very important not only for dresses but for various other stuff too. Nothing can beat the experience of sitting in mottai madi with family for vetti talk. You can have small celebrations / parties in your roof.

* In GC / apartments, to some extend, You can decide the kind of people among whom you want to live. Go for very costly apartments, you will have rich neighbours like you and who will have similar mindset. Go for average priced units, you will have professional working class like you etc etc. Even though possible, It is a different game when comes to individual houses.

* Nothing can beat the GC/apartment experience when it comes to socializing or getting playmates for your kid.

* Life will be hell if there is any major problems in apartment constructed quality or your association is messed up, or apartments getting old. Several years back, I was continuously requested by the apartment owner who lived down my floor as one of my toilet leaking to his bedroom. He brought skilled workers countless of times to my home to fix things up in my toilet, but that never worked out. Finally, I decided not to use that particular toilet forever as he was getting affected. Will / can you say no ?
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by lovebirds43k
    No, there is a difference in living in indivdual home and apartment complex as far as security issues are concerned.

Definitely apartments ( gated community) give better security.

In gated community hardly I see a news item some theives entered, killed the owner and robbed jewels.

In individual homes we see this almost every month either within city limits or in outskirts

Security can also be beefed up using modern security gadgets/ automated solutions. This can at best be an additional measure and will not procure one complete security. (Guess everyone can afford to basic one's)

On a another thought the fate of GS can be looked at from social group perspective. If an average apartment is 50L and above, then we need to look at the crowd which can afford to it. Their education background, work profile, lifetsyle pattern, preference of social cirle may strongly attribute towards the quality of life in GC. Any constructive thoughts/ differing opinions is welcome
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by arvbin
    * Life will be hell if there is any major problems in apartment constructed quality or your association is messed up, or apartments getting old. Several years back, I was continuously requested by the apartment owner who lived down my floor as one of my toilet leaking to his bedroom. He brought skilled workers countless of times to my home to fix things up in my toilet, but that never worked out. Finally, I decided not to use that particular toilet forever as he was getting affected. Will / can you say no ?

For this we need to buy in a good builder like CEEBROS,Appasamy etc.

If it is 4/6 flats in 1/1.5 ground we will have more issues
    CommentQuote