Townships / Gated Communities - Their fate in 15 - 20 years

Last updated: August 16 2016
65 | Posts
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Townships / Gated Communities - Their fate in 15 - 20 years

Originally posted by arvbin View Post
    * Life will be hell if there is any major problems in apartment constructed quality or your association is messed up, or apartments getting old. Several years back, I was continuously requested by the apartment owner who lived down my floor as one of my toilet leaking to his bedroom. He brought skilled workers countless of times to my home to fix things up in my toilet, but that never worked out. Finally, I decided not to use that particular toilet forever as he was getting affected. Will / can you say no ?
    For this we need to buy in a good builder like CEEBROS,Appasamy etc.

If it is 4/6 flats in 1/1.5 ground we will have more issues

Comment

Association is the King

Originally posted by arianashok View Post
      Thanks for the info. I googled, but am not able to find that link. But I see lot of links stating otherwise. So I might be wrong here or the judgement I has seen was one-off.

Wow, taking the unruly tenant/owner to court would go on for years. May god bless gated communities and its decent owers

Again, a wonderful topic. I would love to add a few cents here. In one of the messages, I read someone saying "The association has no right to cut-off Water Supply to any of the apartment"

As many of you know, I am a resident of Mantri Synergy(Padur), I faced a similar problem.

One fine day(Oct 17, 2012), our power back-up was disconnected and we didnt know why our apartment was the only one without power. I went downstairs to enquire about this and found out that about 56 apartments(out of 765) had the same problem. The electrician told us that the Association President had asked him to disconnect the backup for select few apartments. When we met the President, he simply gave us a sheet and asked us to pay the maintenance. I explained him many times that I have been paying the correct maintenance and the power-backup and water charges every month regularly. He didnt even listen to it and kept on asking all of us to pay the amount. And a verbal spat with everyone there, he agreed to show us the records.

In my case, my apartment owner had not paid the maintenance charges from the day he bought the flat until the time I occupied it. I checked with my apartment owner and he said that every payment was made. The owner even spoke to the President and to his surprise, he got a mouthful of foul language. He was very disturbed and asked me to pay the charges and deduct it from rent. To this day, he has been running behind the association to get an explanation about the power backup disconnection without notice and details about the pending payments which he never got.

We could do nothing. It may be in the rule book that the association has no rights to cut-off water or power supply. But its feasibility is highly improbable. If you question the association, they will simply ask you to take up the responsibilities.

I would also like to bring up another recent event in Mantri. Some senior citizens wanted to have a Pooja area in the common garden(with a statue). The approval given by the President was a big question. The money to build a Pooja area in the garden was given by the association. I hear that many residents were not in favour of this as it looked like favouritism to one religion. Residents belonging to other religions opposed it. But they still went on constructing it. I see many residents avoiding the garden itself now.

But yes, we do enjoy the benefits which many have already shared.

Comment

@ChennaiDream

It is sad to hear that you suffered for no fault of yours.

Until we know the complete truth, we cannot decide who is at fault - your owner or the association. How difficult is it to be transparent with regards to the maintenance charges accounts? The truth must be somewhere in the middle

Comment

any one buying or renting should approach the association at first to make sure there r no problem with arrears otherwise this problem will defienetly happen

Comment

The court order on association power to disconnect power/water is misunderstood. These rulings were for apts in city, where electricity is provided by tneb and water by metro water. courts said only tneb/metro water can diconnect these services.

Its a different case for apt complex outside the city where backup power and water are provided by the association. association has legal powers to discontinue these services for people not paying.

Chennaidreams, i really dont trust your owner. I paid, didnt you get the money ? is a very old trick in the game. there are many many rich scoundrels in chennai who have the money to buy apts but not to pay maintenance. back-up power was disconnected only for 50+ homes shows association went after only people not paying maintenance.

Comment

It looks like masked men are city bred and dont haunt the sububrbs! Fantastic ideas!!
              In Chennai people believe in myths and a myth can be created very easily. People dont seem to do any thinking, just follow what some neighbour said. Honestly crime is a problem of the world and it happens anywhere; just that the method changes with the circumstance.

Also today many properties are terribly priced in the suburb. Think of it. You can buy a so called GC in the outskirt for say 2 crores. You certainly can buy land in the city and build a house for a lesser price. Only that our folks are lazy and wont want to build a house. The folks on this board invariably like someone to peel the banana and then insert it into their mouth. Very soon someone else will have to eat the banana too and that means your money does not belong to you!

[QUOTE=sunr2i;686363][QUOTE=ZeeEnn;
              Let me talk from my knowledge. If you are in an independant house then you/your family controls all resources moving in or out of your property--->

Ya. You mean then living in suburbs. No way you can live in Independent house with in city and having both sides covered by either hugh commercials or apartments!

.< Well you cant control the road or the neighbour but yet you are king of the ring.>

Yep. You are King until masked men show up in front of door in the middle of night .aka. Security issues![/QUOTE]
              Last edited January 11 2013, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeeEnn View Post
                It looks like masked men are city bred and dont haunt the sububrbs! Fantastic ideas!!
                Nobody said city is unsafe and suburbs are safe - people only said they feel GC are relatively much safer than individual houses. Fantastic comprehension!!

Comment

Originally posted by dracula View Post
                  The court order on association power to disconnect power/water is misunderstood. These rulings were for apts in city, where electricity is provided by tneb and water by metro water. courts said only tneb/metro water can diconnect these services.

Its a different case for apt complex outside the city where backup power and water are provided by the association. association has legal powers to discontinue these services for people not paying.
                  This is a useful information. Thank you. Not sure about my owner. But he has copied me in every email communication with the association. Looks like the amount charged as dues were miscalculated for which the association is not replying back with the details.

But again, my point is that the Association is like the government in a community. If you are lucky, you can have a good President to have better rules and policies. Unlike the temple issue in the common Garden i had mentioned earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by arianashok View Post
                    @ChennaiDream

It is sad to hear that you suffered for no fault of yours.

Until we know the complete truth, we cannot decide who is at fault - your owner or the association. How difficult is it to be transparent with regards to the maintenance charges accounts? The truth must be somewhere in the middle

Very good question. For one of the emails from my owner, the treasurer responded back as " There are 756 apartments in Mantri Synergy and we are doing a social service here. We cannot waste our time and energy replying to your emails. Please visit us in person and participate in the meetings that are conducted."

I'm sure they must be maintaining records. But I don't think any treasurer will like responding to emails questioning the current due status or any other details(which I think is reasonable).

But IMO the association can print the details once in 2 months atleast in the notice board so that the residents can see and inform their owners before a penalty. What say?

Comment

Originally posted by chennaidream View Post
                      Very good question. For one of the emails from my owner, the treasurer responded back as " There are 756 apartments in Mantri Synergy and we are doing a social service here. We cannot waste our time and energy replying to your emails. Please visit us in person and participate in the meetings that are conducted."

I'm sure they must be maintaining records. But I don't think any treasurer will like responding to emails questioning the current due status or any other details(which I think is reasonable).

But IMO the association can print the details once in 2 months atleast in the notice board so that the residents can see and inform their owners before a penalty. What say?
                      I am sure you are giving your side of the story and when we hear the other side you may hear some surprises. There are many things you probably not aware or highlighted but you have rightly felt as a aggrieved party.

It is true that Resident Owners typically dominate the association (since they go through hell). It is also true most of the association leads (mostly retired high officials from reputed institutions) spend nearly 12-16 hours a day running behind builder, defaulters, lorry guys, electricians, plumbers, security guys, lawyers, TNEB, Gas providers, accountants, panchayat presidents, other local bodies, etc....

On top of that they have to handle aggressive residents and owners. I have heard few incidents like that in Mantri and other communities where they try to man-handle association members. Builder sends legal notice to President.

As a tenant you are entitled to have peaceful life but association also functioning with its own limitations...not a perfect one.

Comment

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                      Working...
                      X