Townships / Gated Communities - Their fate in 15 - 20 years

Last updated: August 16 2016
65 | Posts
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Townships / Gated Communities - Their fate in 15 - 20 years

Originally posted by chennaidream View Post
    Very good question. For one of the emails from my owner, the treasurer responded back as " There are 756 apartments in Mantri Synergy and we are doing a social service here. We cannot waste our time and energy replying to your emails. Please visit us in person and participate in the meetings that are conducted."

I'm sure they must be maintaining records. But I don't think any treasurer will like responding to emails questioning the current due status or any other details(which I think is reasonable).

But IMO the association can print the details once in 2 months atleast in the notice board so that the residents can see and inform their owners before a penalty. What say?
    It depends on the contents and tone of your owner's preceding mails as well as the time and energy spent already without any results. I can imagine multiple ways in which your owner could have written that would solicit such a response. Also if there had been disagreement over the calculations over multiple mails, it is fair for the association to expect the owner to visit in person and sort the issue quick and amicable instead of wasting further time. Remember that they had to explain such details to 56 such owners and I would suspect most of these unruly owners would have gotten the association already tired with their sick attitude.

If they put it on the notice board, then most tenants would not bother checking it and owners would say that they have not seen it either. So there is no best way to do it unless everybody is responsible and cooperative.

I think an email to all owners and tenants every month about pending dues outlining the penalty deadline could work.

Comment

Originally posted by Arvinda2012 View Post
      Security can also be beefed up using modern security gadgets/ automated solutions. This can at best be an additional measure and will not procure one complete security. (Guess everyone can afford to basic one's)

On a another thought the fate of GS can be looked at from social group perspective. If an average apartment is 50L and above, then we need to look at the crowd which can afford to it. Their education background, work profile, lifetsyle pattern, preference of social cirle may strongly attribute towards the quality of life in GC. Any constructive thoughts/ differing opinions is welcome
      Even if social and educational backgrounds are same individuals/families will differ in terms of wants. Some will consider such amenities such as Swimming pools, gyms and indoor games facilities as most important, some would rather prefer to have such things like a garden and some others would simply be uninterested in all that.

Comment

Originally posted by arvbin View Post
        * Security is issue in both apartment/GC and individual houses. But it is always better in GC/apartments. For individual house, threat can come from strangers ( robbers, fake sales executives ) or known people ( cylinder guy, goorkha, online friend etc ).. in apartments/GC it will mostly come from known person ( source: years of newspaper reading ). In secured GC/Apartments, unknown / unwanted people can't enter. When it comes to security, I will prefer to live in a GC / apartment which have securities.
        Generally very good points from arvbin on merits and demerits of GC/apartments , I agree on all except that but I strongly disagree on security part. The possiblity of petty thefts are much much more in GC/Apartments and it is just that news papers dont report those petty thefts.

Simple steps like grill gate, raised compound walls or even a simple board (beware of dogs) is enough to secure an independent house. Regarding all those burglary news w.r.to independent houses, please remember that burglars today are much smarter than you believe - the average salaried class middle class is going to keep his/her jewels in bank locker and have little cash and use cards so is not the target of burglar. Most burglaries happen to really target people who launder lot of cash in their homes.

Ultimately security in chennai is also a function of locality and so that is not as much a factor as you believe. And to add, GCs make a person less alert and give a false sense of security when the truth is that in a large GC where lot of all sort of people move around, petty robberies of all sorts easily happen and that is a greater danger indeed. (Petty roberies could also mean loss of your valuable smartphone ).

Comment

Coming to GCs/Apartments, three observations from my side:
          1. Things change with time - every GC goes through a honeymoon phase, the initial few year period when all people seem to cooperate and ready to maintain all facilities with same enthusiasm . But after that, people develop differing interests - people grow up, they change their attitudes. That swimming pool is less priority for some and a yoga class in the terrace becomes more important. Things like this start conflict in most GCs. If one has mature people who are accomodative, GCs can continue to function; and this happens only if size of GC/apartment is small. Else problems come.

2. Related to 1, over period of time, people resist bearing rising cost of maintenance. End result is that only LCD (Lowest Commonly Demanded amenity) gets the maintenance funding. So if gym is not priority for some, payments to improve/renovate it are delayed. And over period,some first time resident/owners move out and new second owners who buy for investment move in and their interest in maintaining amenities is zilch.

3. Lastly, the undeniable real merit of GC is that if you are a parent with small kids, GCs give you a chance for yourkids to play with lot of other kids. But all that is only till your kids grow up and after that their priorities also change.

Bear all this in mind while investing in apartments.

Comment

And as we talk about merits of GC/Apartments, it is also important to understand what are the merits of Independent Houses.

A majority of chennai's independent houses have owners residing there, not out of any choice but because they happened to buy land long back in a distant suburb and build a house to live and the place that was a distant suburb is now part of city.

Given this, Independent Houses have their own place - The main theme is Independent Houses are best choices of DIY (Do It Yourself ) place. If you have a life that is specific, with special interests - say you are a IT Professional who teaches Karate on weekends, or you are a lover of pet dogs or you want to hold bhajans inviting your best friends and acquaintances, independent house is the best way to go. And INdependent house is the obvious choice if you a small businessperson, with lot of "CASH" dealings. I feel that whatever may be the case for GC/apartments, there will always be demand for independent houses in india/chennai.

Comment

s association does not have rights to cut down water or electricity- u will be taken to police station straightaway if the default guy has bit of power. u know it becomes big headache for the president or the secretary to go to Police station for the sake of association- its bit complicated and will get really worse if its a huge number of flats

Comment

My $1000

MSB and Apartments are evolving now in chennai. will see all these problems during the migration period.
                Now Independent house in and near by CBD and outskirts is not reachable for the common man.
                Possible solution is apartments and MSB's if you require a good infrastructure like good number of schools, colleges, hospitals, beach and local shopping complexes.
                By time progressing GC/MSB/Apartments are having bright future.

Originally posted by snt2011 View Post
                s association does not have rights to cut down water or electricity- u will be taken to police station straightaway if the default guy has bit of power. u know it becomes big headache for the president or the secretary to go to Police station for the sake of association- its bit complicated and will get really worse if its a huge number of flats

Comment

Independent housing is a very inefficient type of housing.
                  Low FSI, expensive maintainance (becasue of not-sharing costs), water issues, security, low rental yeilds, etc.

Group housing is way to go for everyone.

Independent housing (in city and suburbs) is reserved for well to do people only.

Comment

K11

Seeking a clarification on "reserved for well to do people only means" ??

Comment

Have you seen, Rajni's speech on 'Spring' hotel opening on Youtube.

I am not a fan of actor, but like what he says.

'Rich man also has a garden in his home'.

Nowadays who constructs on low FSI in the city. We (or builders) build to maximum as always.

Also price of a Indep house (in city) is much higher, has a lot of premium over flats.
                      Sometimes more than twice the flat value, taking UDS and builtup into account.

Comment

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                      Working...
                      X