Townships / Gated Communities - Their fate in 15 - 20 years

Last updated: August 16 2016
65 | Posts
12940 | Views
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Townships / Gated Communities - Their fate in 15 - 20 years

I have never been a fan of gated communities / huge apartment complexes but recently I am slightly nudging towards it but still ...I do not believe that these gated commuities will sustain the longrun....

more or less they might become like the colony in the prabhu-vineetha starrer film ( I do not remember the name though)..
    All it takes is a small feud to spark things around leading to major commotion...

The closest Ive come to living inside a gated community is that of living in a police quarters for 28 years of my life but in that all maintenance stuff is taken care of by the government and no association was there for any politics to be present...

People who have been living in large apartment complexes (200+) or in gated communities for more than 10 years (not builder managed by community managed) can enlighten us

Indian gated communities only please

• Hummer76
    replied
    I have been staying in Individual house all through and very recently bought a gated community. As we grow older, it will be difficult to sustain in a individual house and gated community is safer and you will have very less running around to be done. Individual houses has its own advantage but you have to be physically active throughout. Till your 50 years of age, you can manage individual house and move on to a gated community which is little affluent, so that you don't pickup fight for petty things.

Leave a comment:

• Rangadorai
    replied
    Dear All,
    Parking cars in front of someone's gate is highly intolerable and shows the mental make up and the poor upbringing of the person. I believe if he owns a car he must at least be educated with a degree. If he/she is trespassing and blocking others property, he/she is guilt and is an idiot. I lived in the Middle East for 39 years and if anyone did all I had to do was call the police and within 20-30 minutes the vehicle was towed and the irresponsible owner had to shell out a fine to redeem his vehicle. It is high time we get this ruling in place. Do not pride yourself owning a car if you do not park it in a proper designated place.
    Last edited August 13 2016, 03:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• niranjan007
    replied
    City or outskirts

Hello All,

Currently I am staying in a rented house in velachery and planning to buy a house.My budget is 60-65 lakhs.

What would be your advice to buy a small apartment in velachery or a villa in ottiyambakkam - thalambur road.

I have consolidated Roomscapes - The village project and Jones cassia project in ottiyambakkam.

Kindly help in coming to a conclusion.
    1. Velachery or outskirts
    2.if outskirts which project..

Thanks in advance for your advices.

Leave a comment:

• ramki830
    replied
    Originally posted by sunr2i View Post
    Also in areas like West mambalam, T Nagar, RA Puram very often you find cars parked in front of the gate and blocking your drive way. There was big a protest by residents in T Nagar yesterday.
    In GCs you have the situation where the visitor of your neighbour parks his car rightin the driveway in front of your car and so it is not all rosy for GCs..

And this problem of parking in front of gate is acute in some business areas in CBD /commercial areas.

Leave a comment:

• ramki830
    replied
    1. Security - Yes, independent houses score bit less, but GCs have their own issues of petty theft. No denying that GCs score best on security.
    2. Services - The flip side is that we end up with lot of services that are significantly marked at higher price in posh GCs. And to get best deals, it is always sensible to move out and seek for whatever service in your neighbourhood rather than stay in home (be it in GC or Ind House) and expect someone to give you the best deal
    3. Open Spaces /Common Amenities- GCs score well on this only in the first few years when there is the honeymoon phase and all owners/tenants score to maintain things. Over a period, people lose interest (except a minority) and people refuse to pay for maintaining quality and these open spaces and Common Amenities become eyesore and the so called association meetings are all about trying to maintain the most commonly sought amenities at lowest possible monthly fees.
    4. Community - Yes, true that GCs are a blessing if you have small kids and you do not need to invest in video games equipment to keep your kids busy.
    5. Problem Solving - If this is not a problem in GC it is because you pay to outsource this job. As i said , ind houses are meant for those with DIY (Do It Yourself) mentality and the result is that you can get what you really need and these days we have agencies to do the job.

Overall , GC and Ind Houses both are having their own merits, upto each person to choose each as per his/her budget and want.

Leave a comment:

• sunr2i
    replied
    Also in areas like West mambalam, T Nagar, RA Puram very often you find cars parked in front of the gate and blocking your drive way. There was big a protest by residents in T Nagar yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• k11
    replied
    Security - You can employ a watchman. In well populated areas in city, it is not a very big concern. Not a big issue.

Services - It is an issue. You might have to walk for things.

Open Spaces - Not an issue if you are in good locality. Upscale areas with big houses and apts do not have deviations. Guess that why it is expensive.

Common amenities - Agree, it is a issue. Biggest plus point for group housing.

Community - It is not as bad in Indep houses, especially if you have been living there for some time. Somtimes there are families/friends and people from your own communiuty living nearby.
    Still, I would say flats are much better.

Problem Solving - Issue in Indep houses. You need to have caretaker or spend more time in things. But a plus point is you can do whatever you want, no associations, asking permissions, etc.

My views are based on Indep houses in nice localities. It does not include cramped multi family housing in slums or low class areas, I do not call them Indep houses. I also do not include houses built on 500sqft plots, so it is a different segment altogether.

Leave a comment:

• sunr2i
    replied
    Individual homes with spacious area have advantage in maintaining garden etc. Being said that you should have more members in the family to have activities inside. It is risky when kids grow up, leave abroad and old parents stuck with staying back. Also if neighbors deviates their structure or multistory apartment come up near by that will block all the sun lights and become a dark home. Also multiple relaying of road cause most of the homes to have their main entrance go lower than the road and cause flooding or stagnated water in front of the main gate.
    In my opinion security issues alone supersedes other advantages staying in individual home. Otherwise we would not see so many joint venture with builder by house owners.
    Last edited January 13 2013, 12:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SmartCard
    replied
    Personally, I like gated communities for the following reasons.

1) Security - I can lock my flat and go out of town for months together, without worrying about people breaking in due to a) round the clock security, b) registering non-residents who enter the complex, and c) neighbor's being active on the common floor lending some kind of activity in the surroundings.

2) Services - We have a dhobi who regularly comes around knocking on doors asking for clothes to iron, we have cleaning ladies cleaning the common areas asking for garbage to take to the dumpster, we have restaurants, supermarkets, pharmacies, grocery stores etc. that take orders over the phone and home deliver. Also we have companies advertizing free car services, putting on displays for selling stuff like garments etc.

3) Open spaces - In an independent house, we only have control over our piece of land, and people constructing on the adjacent land with deviations blocking our light and air, people parking on the street blocking our driveway or sponging our visitor parking area, play area for kids without facing dangers like rash drivers etc. are problems that do not really exist in GCs.

4) Common amenities - like swimming pools, clubhouses, etc which are of course factored into what we pay for when we buy in a GC, but since they will also be factored in when we sell, we essentially pay a holding price to enjoy these amenities.

5) Community - Children finding friends, old people finding friends in their age group to chat with etc.

6) Problem solving - Common issues like buying water from tanker lorries, repairing water treatment plants etc, is undertaken by the association members who have the time to spare, which we are extremely grateful for as we're both professionals and work 6 days a week, and would otherwise have to take leave from work to fix these type of things.

Leave a comment:

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
Working...
X