There are many threads which debate about the value of plots/ flats/ rental yields and potential for rapid growth or moderate growth opportunities.
the seasoned veterans and anti-conventional thinkers can you contribute to make this thread crisp and precise with SOLID real estate opportunities that has potential for growth.
I understand that there is always opinions and bias but lets stay objective and avoid conflicts and promote some solid good ideas to collectively contribute and collaborate with good strong ideas.
Provide insight into
Top 5 areas for land buying
Top 5 flat promotions
Top 3 villa projects
TOP 3 real estate sub-corridor

>
Read more
21 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Thanks for initiating a very relevant thread as the IREF is now about too much of information and it is difficult to obtain meaningful data.

Having said that you need to be specific whether you are looking for INVESTMENT or END USE. In my opinion investment appears to be daisy across corridors mainly because for 40 plus lakhs one does not get even a 1000 sq ft flat in any of the places in Chennai . Even shit is being sold for 50 lakhs plus. However the rental is not catching up at that fast pace.

This is beacuse most of the houses are being bought by NRI for investment and they are ready to rent on rates so that the house is not vacant.One can get a good two bhk or rent any where from 13-15 k . So does it not make sense to put a FD at 10 % get interest of around 36-40000 per month rather than buying a house for 40 lakhs and getting a rent of 13- 15 k.

now once may say appreciation on the flat . i don't know how much appreciation will be there is a 2 bhk costing 40 lakhs. Can it be come 80 lakhs in 7-10 yrs time ? i really dont know. seems unlikely. in the present circumstances FD appears better than RE for investment. If it is for end use then of course one can look at RE. But jest ensure that it is close to your place of work and scools for children as travelling on road by chennai is likely to be an increasing nightmare especially during office hours.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by SRajagopalan
    Provide insight into
    Top 5 flat promotions
    Top 3 villa projects
    >

I work in IT and I am biased towards OMR. My preferences are:

Top 5 areas for land buying (1C per ground or below)
    1) Sholinganallur
    2) Medavakkam
    3) Porur
    4) Navalur
    5) Kelambakkam

Top 3 flat promotions (10K per sq.ft. or below)
    1) Hiranandani Upscale, Egattur
    2) The Crest, PMC, Velachery
    3) Prestige Bella Vista, Porur
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by he2007
    Thanks for initiating a very relevant thread as the IREF is now about too much of information and it is difficult to obtain meaningful data.

Having said that you need to be specific whether you are looking for INVESTMENT or END USE. In my opinion investment appears to be daisy across corridors mainly because for 40 plus lakhs one does not get even a 1000 sq ft flat in any of the places in Chennai . Even shit is being sold for 50 lakhs plus. However the rental is not catching up at that fast pace.

This is beacuse most of the houses are being bought by NRI for investment and they are ready to rent on rates so that the house is not vacant.One can get a good two bhk or rent any where from 13-15 k . So does it not make sense to put a FD at 10 % get interest of around 36-40000 per month rather than buying a house for 40 lakhs and getting a rent of 13- 15 k.

now once may say appreciation on the flat . i don't know how much appreciation will be there is a 2 bhk costing 40 lakhs. Can it be come 80 lakhs in 7-10 yrs time ? i really dont know. seems unlikely. in the present circumstances FD appears better than RE for investment. If it is for end use then of course one can look at RE. But jest ensure that it is close to your place of work and scools for children as travelling on road by chennai is likely to be an increasing nightmare especially during office hours.

Thanks He2007 my intent was investment on the thread and yes i fall under the NRI category who is looking for RE in chennai as a diversification tool
    I agree with your assessment on rentals and cap appreciation struggling as mostly its priced in.
    Given that what are the choices cheaper budget flats at 30-35 lakhs ?
    or land in up and coming locations or resale land in places like PKN or SHOLS where there is more room to growth ( atleast perceived)
    CommentQuote
  • Top 3 apartments (my personal view)
    -Olympia Grande
    -Prestige Bella vista
    -Appaswamy Brooksdale
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Love4land
    Top 3 apartments (my personal view)
    -Olympia Grande
    -Prestige Bella vista
    -Appaswamy Brooksdale

Im thinking may be to do a Surveymonkey survey and publish results it may be of good value let me try today
    CommentQuote
  • Probably you can try POLL options present in the IREF
    Originally Posted by SRajagopalan
    Im thinking may be to do a Surveymonkey survey and publish results it may be of good value let me try today
    CommentQuote
    There are many threads which debate about the value of plots/ flats/ rental yields and potential for rapid growth or moderate growth opportunities.
    the seasoned veterans and anti-conventional thinkers can you contribute to make this thread crisp and precise with SOLID real estate opportunities that has potential for growth.
    I understand that there is always opinions and bias but lets stay objective and avoid conflicts and promote some solid good ideas to collectively contribute and collaborate with good strong ideas.
    Provide insight into
    Top 5 flat promotions
    Top 3 villa projects

>

Top 5 Areas for Land Buying with 10 year pespective not in order of topness:

1. Velachery-Pallikaranai Belt (i include both in one category due to geographical continuity)
    2. Adambakkam (incl Alandur)
    3. Madipakkam (incl Puzhuthivakkam)
    4. Mugalivakkam/Porur
    5. Mogappair (West, East, Nolambur)

Sholz/Semmanchery can also be considered in list.

The main consideration for me is that - these are places, all added recently into corporation limits, where prices, physical and social infrastructure will transform in next few years and by 2025 will be looking no different from so called prime CBD areas such as Egmore, Aminjikarai, Kodambakkam, Adyar or Vadapalani. I also expect migration of all categories of people (incl HNIs and those professionals working outside IT sector) into these areas, due to severe lack of good housing options in older CBD AreasHence prices will go up and be 90% of what is in these areas by then. And these will be considered as New CBD areas by 2025 -30.

Reg Flat promotions, can suggest only if I have visited or seen all the major flat promotions, so refraining from same.

Reg RE sub -corridors, the only one I can suggest is something not even now recognized - the 15 km long Pallavaram-Thoraipakkam 200 Ft radial road. The road does not even have proper name, it got bad reputation due to marsh and garbage dump but that does not change the fact that it is one wide highway stretch closest to city's emerging CBD Areas and with lot of empty land parcels for big future developments. Keep a close watch on same.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ramki830

Reg RE sub -corridors, the only one I can suggest is something not even now recognized - the 15 km long Pallavaram-Thoraipakkam 200 Ft radial road. The road does not even have proper name, it got bad reputation due to marsh and garbage dump but that does not change the fact that it is one wide highway stretch closest to city's emerging CBD Areas and with lot of empty land parcels for big future developments. Keep a close watch on same.

I looked at few plots in the last few months closer to 200 ft road. I believe many areas esp in Zamin Pallavaram are under ASI zone. Brokers were offering a huge discount of the plots as they dont want to deal getting NOC from ASI (if at all possible). There is not much activity going on the main road itself, other than few showrooms here and there. Not sure if the ASI zone is the main issue there.
    CommentQuote
  • I think by 2025 many suburbs can get some major components of CBD but they will be only 75% of CBD they cannot match CBD I think. Reason is many suburbs have hapazard growth. Unless govt shows some special interest I dont think overall it will be on par with CBD.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ramki830
    Top 5 Areas for Land Buying with 10 year pespective not in order of topness:

1. Velachery-Pallikaranai Belt (i include both in one category due to geographical continuity)
    2. Adambakkam (incl Alandur)
    3. Madipakkam (incl Puzhuthivakkam)
    4. Mugalivakkam/Porur
    5. Mogappair (West, East, Nolambur)

Sholz/Semmanchery can also be considered in list.

The main consideration for me is that - these are places, all added recently into corporation limits, where prices, physical and social infrastructure will transform in next few years and by 2025 will be looking no different from so called prime CBD areas such as Egmore, Aminjikarai, Kodambakkam, Adyar or Vadapalani. I also expect migration of all categories of people (incl HNIs and those professionals working outside IT sector) into these areas, due to severe lack of good housing options in older CBD AreasHence prices will go up and be 90% of what is in these areas by then. And these will be considered as New CBD areas by 2025 -30.

Reg Flat promotions, can suggest only if I have visited or seen all the major flat promotions, so refraining from same.

Good list RAMKI but the only issue i have all top 5 you have listed are around 1 to 1.25C a ground, my play area is not there for investment, may be im totally wrong, but i feel the growth appreciation is already factored in
    and head room is limited,
    I may be totally wrong and it can be another anna nagar, but the odds are low IMHO
    CommentQuote
    Good list RAMKI but the only issue i have all top 5 you have listed are around 1 to 1.25C a ground, my play area is not there for investment, may be im totally wrong, but i feel the growth appreciation is already factored in
    and head room is limited,
    I may be totally wrong and it can be another anna nagar, but the odds are low IMHO

As much as you dislike pallavaram radial road, its is a SOLID connecting road of suburbs west of pallavaram like cowl bazaar, pammmal polichalur,kundrathur anakaputhur to east of GST and all the way to TBM VLCY , OMR and ECR
    it was such a simple project that took so much commute out of people
    CommentQuote
  • My list for Land as investment with 10 years perspective is as follows in no definite order,

1. Kovur
    2. Kundrathur
    3. ThiruMazhisai
    4. Mappedu & Kovilanchery
    5. Ponmar (ASI Impact to be considered) /Vengadamangalam
    6. Mambakkam & surroundings (ASI Impact to be considered in Mealakottaiyur).
    7. Pudupakkam
    7. Thaiyur
    8. Thiruporur (ASI Impact to be considered)
    9. Gokulapuram (Off.Maraimalai Nagar)
    10. Area surrounding Guduvancherry- Nellikuppam Road
    11. Areas around 1 Km away from ORR after Thirumudivakkam till Otteri.

in my opinion, Most of the places recently added to Corporation has appreciated considerably and should be considered only for short/medium term investment with an eye for end-use or instant Liquidation. If the investor is eady to lock in for a period of 10 years or more, then the above list will be some of the best places to just invest.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by cruise_1982
    My list for Land as investment with 10 years perspective is as follows in no definite order,

1. Kovur
    2. Kundrathur
    3. ThiruMazhisai
    4. Mappedu & Kovilanchery
    5. Ponmar/Vengadamangalam
    6. Mambakkam
    7. Pudupakkam
    7. Thaiyur
    8. Thiruporur
    9. Gokulapuram (Off.Maraimalai Nagar)
    10. Area surrounding Guduvancherry- Nellikuppam Road
    11. Areas around 1 Km away from ORR after Thirumudivakkam till Otteri.

in my opinion, Most of the places recently added to Corporation has appreciated considerably and should be considered only for short/medium term investment with an eye for end-use or instant Liquidation. If the investor is eady to lock in for a period of 10 years or more, then the above list will be some of the best places to just invest.

To be honest i value CRUISE's judgement a lot and this list is very spot on
    Only issue i have is cruise there are many cities with ASI impact
    can you add the ASI impact to this list as well please
    also surprised not to see kayarambedu, urapakkam perumatanallur
    CommentQuote
  • My List

Time to put my list out

VK Road - Proximity to GST road - perungalathur, vandalur,kolapakkam nedkundram
      Mappedu and GKM eng college vicinity -- good deals due to TBM eastern bypass and airforce noc
      Kandigai - only DTCP
      VIT university area ( mel / keel kotayur)
      Mambakkam main road layouts
      Ponmar - layouts need a lot of development mostly under developed
      Ottiyampakkam arasankalani
      Pudupakkam
      Muttukadu seaside ( coco beach layout)
      vadanemili - ecr ( due to chengalpet/omr/ecr connecting road)
      GST road - Guduvanchery, urapakkam within 1 km to GST DTCP and east of GST

I intentionally left many good areas and layouts like shols tnhb, sithalapakkam tnhb etc, which are super good, but out of my price range for buying my shopping range is 500 to 1500 a sqft
      at 500 to 1000 i look for 2400sqft and at 1500 im looking for 1500-1800sqft
      Each investment under 30L and never too many eggs in one basket
      Avoid composting yards, cemetry, graveyards, panchayat layouts,

Look for road access, well defined layouts 30ft road, favor a big builder in the neighbourhood in land acquisition process.
      I intentionally left many good areas and layouts like shols tnhb, sithalapakkam tnhb etc, which are super good, but out of my price range for buying my shopping range is 500 to 1500 a sqft

Look for road access, well defined layouts 30ft road, favor a big builder in the neighbourhood in land acquisition process.

CommentQuote
    To be honest i value CRUISE's judgement a lot and this list is very spot on
    Only issue i have is cruise there are many cities with ASI impact
    can you add the ASI impact to this list as well please
    also surprised not to see kayarambedu, urapakkam perumatanallur

I have edited the list to mention the ASI impact. Kayarambedu and Perumattunallur falls along the Guduvancherry - Nellikuppam road and hence did not mention it separately. Some other pointers from my side is as follows,

1. As SRajagopalan has mentioned, do avoid unapproved plots for investments and always go with
    DTCP/CMDA approved plots.

2. Size of the layout does not matter if the plots are pretty close to an existing State or National
    Highway or a Junction, but if the plot is a little interior, please go with a bigger layout and in this
    case, the bigger the better as You get wide access roads to the highway as a part of it.

3. Layouts which already has Public transport, electricity, good ground water and water infrastructure
    (over head tanks and pipelines) close by should be given a priority as they tend to develop faster
    than the Layouts far from it.

4. My personal opinion is to buy on the widest Layout roads as possible (not on State or National
    highways as they will be widened) as they will command a premium while Selling. Ex: A person holding 2 plots in 50 feet road in Veerapandi Nagar (Vengadamangalam) was quoting 30 Lakhs/ground in Sep 2012 and today (adv in Sulekha) the same person has quoted 38 Lakhs for 1 ground.
    CommentQuote