Let us use this thread to brainstorm over possible benefits, impact on existing projects/localities, design of flyovers at junctions, etc...

Key junctions must have extensive grade seperation (the scale of Kathipara) for seamless entry and exit. Will this affect projects like Radiance Mandarin and Appaswamy Greenville?

Will on road projects be affected due to noise levels and pollutions? I'm asking this because I'm somewhat personally affected by similar proposed expressway project in Singapore (Scheduled for completion in 2020).
Read more
66 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Originally Posted by Love4land
    @Economist,

I was pondering over why anyone would build a 20 storey car park in Siruseri and then build an elevated road from there to Chennai. I finally got a handle of it.

I think they are planning to build something like a moffusil terminus for cars. They can call it "Koyambedu car stand". People from all over TN can park their cars in Siruseri and then take a special bus and ride to Chennai through high speed expressway. This is the only possibility I can think of ;)

This a Vision for the future.

In about 30 years there will be no vacant land in Siruseri to park cars.

So it is planing for the future. Loooong term vision.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Economist
    This a Vision for the future.

In about 30 years there will be no vacant land in Siruseri to park cars.

So it is planing for the future. Loooong term vision.

Yepppa
    or 5 C spend panni oru IAS officer (retd) thaatha is going to do a study
    adhukku eanpa ivlo vervai sindhi review panreeenga

thaaanga mudiyalada saami overhead hwy, carpark vidunga boss, velaiya paarunga
    vandalur bustand vandhuruchu, OMR la elevated hwy, siruseri carpark
    can we refocus in prospecting good properties podhumpa indha hype cycle
    CommentQuote
  • Elevated corridor along OMR to be country’s longest

CHENNAI: To facilitate a smooth ride for thousands of people hitting the IT corridor everyday, the Tamil Nadu government has announced an elevated corridor along the 45km Old Mahabalipuram Road. It would be the country's longest such corridor, much longer than the Hyderabad airport-city link which is 11.6km.

Chief minister J Jayalalithaa said the government would soon prepare a detailed project report. The announcement comes at a time when the 19km Chennai Port-Maduravoyal elevated corridor, being built by NHAI, is stalled because of the objections raised by the state government.

Jayalalithaa made a slew of announcements in the assembly on road infrastructure development, including on multi-level vehicle parking at Siruseri, rail over- bridges and road widening projects estimated to cost 2,000 crore.

The elevated corridor would be built in two phases, from Taramani to Siruseri and Siruseri to Mammallapuram. "This is to decongest the chaotic traffic emanating from the large number of IT firms, multi-storied buildings and educational institutions along this road. 5 crore will be allocated for the detailed project report," she said. The IT corridor was initiated by Jayalalithaa during her earlier tenure.

The 45km long stretch starts at Madhya Kailash Temple junction on Sardar Patel Road and ends on East Coast Road, parallel to the Old Mahabalipuram Road. The prestigious TIDEL park is also located on this road.

​Elevated corridor along OMR to be country’s longest - The Times of India
    CommentQuote
  • Seems like a good hype for OMR properties, let the speculation begin.
    CommentQuote
  • It would be interesting if work get started in one side - roads are blocked/dug and in other side they are getting the toll charges :)

Any idea when(year) will the toll be removed in OMR?
    CommentQuote
  • Does anyone have an idea of the exact location where this road is expected to start? There are references to this road starting next to the MRTS station in Taramani in today's Times of India.

One logical place may be to start it at the junction between Velachery-Taramni link road and Dr. MGR Salai. In this case, would it benefit upcoming projects like Real Value Homes Peace & Prosperity near this location?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    CommentQuote
  • This is same like DMK's elevated expressway from Marina to ECR Road or so....it will never happen but money will be spent....

I am surprised some of them are seriously believing this is going to happen....let us see.
    CommentQuote
  • New to this forum....
    ONe thing which is puzzling me is how this announcement/project in itself will be a boon for OMR projects...Should it not be the other way, with the much reduced commuting time from city to far end of OMR(like siruseri IT Park),the need/urge for people to settle down close to work has to come down ..!! Also if its expressway..there wont be many entry/exit points from OMR..only the end points(and one or two intermediate points) stand to get use of it..
    CommentQuote
  • Connectivity is the key for development.

If connectivity to city improves and travel time to city areas reduces, people would start showing more preference for living in OMR compared to the much more expensive city areas.

Just turning your argument around to share a different perspective..

Originally Posted by lookforhome
    New to this forum....
    ONe thing which is puzzling me is how this announcement/project in itself will be a boon for OMR projects...Should it not be the other way, with the much reduced commuting time from city to far end of OMR(like siruseri IT Park),the need/urge for people to settle down close to work has to come down ..!! Also if its expressway..there wont be many entry/exit points from OMR..only the end points(and one or two intermediate points) stand to get use of it..
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by lookforhome
    New to this forum....

Traffic at the existing OMR will get reduced. So it will help every one travelling in the OMR
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Clairvoyant

What would happen to the junctions like Madhya Kailash? .

Madhya kailash does not come into the picture.

Project starts from Taramani
    CommentQuote
  • I just received a marketing material from a real estate developer about this new elevated expressway. The next round of hype has started!

Poll time: which will be the greatest hype of all? This one or Sriperumbudur airport?
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by lookforhome
    New to this forum....

My thoughts:

Yes, it is both way. But it is more exciting news for people looking to settle down in OMR.

People travelling from City will benefit in commute time, however, traffic with in the city remains to certain extent.

For people settling down in OMR will find it easy to commute to any of the IT Park along the OMR. Instead of paying lot of money to book an apartment in say Perungudi (at this stage), they can opt to buy a bigger size apartment in OMR.
    Secondly, people with less budget will opt to settle down in OMR though it is far from the city.

It all depends the time the infra comes up.
    CommentQuote
  • Padam ellam nallathan irruku.

After several years of see-sawing, the state government has chosen to build an elevated corridor on Old Mahabalipuram Road (OMR) rather than introduce a bus rapid transport system (BRTS) to ease congestion.

The four-lane elevated corridor is planned from Taramani to Siruseri. With the existing six lanes on OMR, the stretch will get 10 lanes to cater to the growing vehicle population. “There are no plans to introduce metro rail, mono rail or MRTS.

The elevated stretch has been designed with a technical committee that includes experts from IIT-Madras and Anna University,” said a source.

The design for the corridor has been finalised for the stretch between Taramani and Sholinganallur junction. On Monday, chief minister Jayalalithaa announced that the corridor will run up to Siruseri in the first phase, which is about 22km, and from Siruseri to Mamallapuram in the second phase, coming to a total of 45km. When completed, it will be the longest elevated corridor in the country.

Available designs show that the corridor will begin after the MRTS station in Taramani and go over junctions at SRP Tools, Perungudi, Thoraipakkam and Sholinganallur. “Those on ground level will not be disturbed,” said an engineer familiar with the project.

The corridor will have rotaries to exit OMR. “It will be like the rotaries on the Padi flyover so that people can get on or off the elevated corridor at any point,” said the engineer. The government has sanctioned 5 crore for a detailed project report that will study the feasibility of the project. Initial estimates suggest that the 22km stretch will cost about 1,500 crore.

Earlier, the government was considering a bus rapid transport system on OMR with a dedicated lane for buses, lanes for pedestrians and cyclists, and a lane for other vehicles. Politicians and bureaucrats visited Ahmedabad to get a sense of how the system works. According to the plan, 30% of the 41m OMR was to be dedicated to buses, 30% to cyclists and pedestrians and 40% to general traffic.

With Monday’s announcement, officials seem unclear about the fate of BRTS, which has to be implemented before work begins on the elevated corridor.

Louis Berger Group, a USbased engineering firm, submitted designs for the corridor. Highways department, Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority, Metropolitan Transport Corporation and Tamil Nadu Urban Infrastructure Financial Services are the government bodies that responsible for implementing the project.
    Attachments:
    CommentQuote
  • It is interesting they are going for Padi junction style roundabout instead of more complex solution like Maduravoyal or Koyambedu. What will happen to projects like Radiance Mandarin or Greenville and other projects at key junctions?

Even if there is a delay of 10 yrs, people buying in these projects must factor in this development while deciding.
    CommentQuote