Guys,

I'm looking into possibly buying land in ECR (Palavkkam - Uthandi stretch) and had a few questions around that. Perhaps someone in this forum knows better:

(1) For, land > 500m from the sea: I hear that for this stretch, the minimum approval size is 2 grounds with an FSI of 0.8 as max perimissible by CMDA. However, I see hundreds of listings for sale of land less than 2 grounds. Who buys these? And, what would they do for approval to construct? Do they construct without approvals? If so, isn't it open to demolition notice from CMDA? Why would anyone take that risk?

(2) Land < 500m from sea: No construction is permitted, right? But, I still see land sales happening.

Is it that CMDA/govt approvals and rules aren't a bother at all for our people? Or, is there something else that I'm missing?

Very confused and baffled about this. Thanks to illuminate and educate!
Read more
Reply
95 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Originally Posted by redhat111
    Thanks for your prompt response. I went through Axis Bank and they were kind of unsure. They wanted me to check as to who should be providing the approval for Construction, whether it was CMDA or the local panchayat and based on that they would be asking the particular office about the feasibility of providing the approval for a construction loan. I have been speaking to a lot of people especially brokers in that area and a few builders who were confident of getting a construction approval in Uthandi. They were of the view that the 2 ground rules applied in Panayur and not here in Uthandi. And they could be biased and that the reason why I posted in here.

    Maverick, I was going to sell off my property in Navalur to purchase this one, as I always had a fascination for a beach side property. I guess you might be wanting me to not to go ahead with the Uthandi deal unless its 4800 sqft.


    how much squre feet cost over there in uthnadi,even i am looking buy breach side property...
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by chandusday
    how much squre feet cost over there in uthnadi,even i am looking buy breach side property...


    its approx. 3750/sqft and above for a property above 500mts from sea and slightly less for plots less than 500mts from sea. For 500 mts and above is the one you would get Construction approval from cmda

    @maverick, today I went and spoke to a leading builder in ECR and posed the same question of 2 ground minimum for construction approval. He told me that if a layout was unapproved then the 2 ground rule applied and if it was an approved layout like VGP then, min 1 ground is required with a min of 20 ft road and atleast 40 frontage. I am however planning to visit the CMDA office to check..
    CommentQuote
  • Anything outside of VGP has to be carefully evaluated. Is this on sea side or opposite side. 3750 means 90L a ground. Price is very high for a one ground plot. If this has narrow roads then it is not worth it at all. Even if it is a 2+ ground property it might not be that high. I think selling your Navalur property for ECR might not be a great idea, but if you are going to live there it is ok. Navalur has lot more potential than ECR anyday. If I had land in Uthandi, I would do the otherway, sell my land in Uthandi and buy in Navalur plots for cheaper price.

    I do not think buying and building is a good idea here, there are lot of homes out for sale along with pool and all. Construction costs have skyrocketed, a nice 3000sqft home with a pool wil cost 1-1.25C+ to build easily.

    Panayur is a very good location compared to Uthandi, you can get a 2 ground bunglow there for 3C or so, if you search really hard. Sea Shell layout is a much better place. Many unsold home here because of high asking price, ones that have decent prices move very fast.

    This is my personal opinion do not rely on us forum members, you can weight all the options properly and take better decision.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by k11
    Anything outside of VGP has to be carefully evaluated. Is this on sea side or opposite side. 3750 means 90L a ground. Price is very high for a one ground plot. If this has narrow roads then it is not worth it at all. Even if it is a 2+ ground property it might not be that high. I think selling your Navalur property for ECR might not be a great idea, but if you are going to live there it is ok. Navalur has lot more potential than ECR anyday. If I had land in Uthandi, I would do the otherway, sell my land in Uthandi and buy in Navalur plots for cheaper price.

    I do not think buying and building is a good idea here, there are lot of homes out for sale along with pool and all. Construction costs have skyrocketed, a nice 3000sqft home with a pool wil cost 1-1.25C+ to build easily.

    Panayur is a very good location compared to Uthandi, you can get a 2 ground bunglow there for 3C or so, if you search really hard. Sea Shell layout is a much better place. Many unsold home here because of high asking price, ones that have decent prices move very fast.

    This is my personal opinion do not rely on us forum members, you can weight all the options properly and take better decision.


    Dear K11, thanks for your message. This one is within the VGP Layout and has 50 ft cement road on one side and 40 ft tar road on the other. I agree, the prices are high, even I was surprised. But they are actually quoting more than this for most of the plots on the sea side but above 500 metres. And with respect to the construction, I spoke to a leading builder there, who was telling that It will be around 1500-1600/sqft for construction of a house with swimming pool. I also agree that the Navalur layout is really good, but a fascination for a house by the beach is drawing me to such a decision..anyways, let see...
    CommentQuote
  • I beg to differ, beach side property is any day better for end use. So this is better than Navalur provided all others remain the same (FSI, approval, etc..)
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by redhat111
    Dear K11, thanks for your message. This one is within the VGP Layout and has 50 ft cement road on one side and 40 ft tar road on the other. I agree, the prices are high, even I was surprised. But they are actually quoting more than this for most of the plots on the sea side but above 500 metres. And with respect to the construction, I spoke to a leading builder there, who was telling that It will be around 1500-1600/sqft for construction of a house with swimming pool. I also agree that the Navalur layout is really good, but a fascination for a house by the beach is drawing me to such a decision..anyways, let see...


    If you dont mind send me ( PM ) your sit number im a bit concerned with the dimensions etc you saying this may be plot 384 hopefully its not
    Uthandi phase I on the main cement road ( road leaiding to old Raja house now SRM guest house) has a cemetry, there by a road called mayana salai across from the management college towards the high school area so watch out for that ..
    yes the first parts started getting tar roads in my last trip in Nov/Dec 2012 laid by Corportation
    Yes, if your are not in the CMDA approval requirements you will get show cause notice, your FSI is 0.8 if im not wrong there are some severe disadvantages compared to OMR / VK and other corridors but you can work around them, if you are interested to talk to any local folks PM me i can help you
    this is a good place to live, but if you have kids and have to have a good social circle for kids nether VGP Phase 1 or panayur or phase 2 are good candidates as the profile of the people who live is not family with young kids trying to raise a family in a nice social set up
    so think a lot before you decide
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by redhat111
    And with respect to the construction, I spoke to a leading builder there, who was telling that It will be around 1500-1600/sqft for construction of a house with swimming pool.


    Well, I do not think it will be possible. And yes it hard to see what that includes. But anyway just ask the people who have built houses and look inside their houses. Do not look at per sqft cost. You will be suprised on how much people spend on. Construction guys do not include anything, they just quote you bricks, cement, steel, sand and labour price. Four walls and roof is what they do.

    What I have noticed in that you need to cough up 1000/sqft even on bare shell apts that our builders dish out to bring it upto decent livable standards. The difference between a model Apt and a finished product is huge, many folks do not even realise it. When you go shopping to buy materials, the prices does add up quickly.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by SRajagopalan
    If you dont mind send me ( PM ) your sit number im a bit concerned with the dimensions etc you saying this may be plot 384 hopefully its not
    Uthandi phase I on the main cement road ( road leaiding to old Raja house now SRM guest house) has a cemetry, there by a road called mayana salai across from the management college towards the high school area so watch out for that ..
    yes the first parts started getting tar roads in my last trip in Nov/Dec 2012 laid by Corportation
    Yes, if your are not in the CMDA approval requirements you will get show cause notice, your FSI is 0.8 if im not wrong there are some severe disadvantages compared to OMR / VK and other corridors but you can work around them, if you are interested to talk to any local folks PM me i can help you
    this is a good place to live, but if you have kids and have to have a good social circle for kids nether VGP Phase 1 or panayur or phase 2 are good candidates as the profile of the people who live is not family with young kids trying to raise a family in a nice social set up
    so think a lot before you decide


    hi sir, Thanks for your message. The plot is close to the business school. I too noticed the Mayana salai and thankfully, it doesn't run through this plot. And you are absolutely right about the FSI. And your view is right on not being the right place if we are looking for community kind of living. I was planning on building and renting it out and then maybe when my son grows up, start living there. We are currently staying in an apartment and will continue to till my son grows up.

    And yes I will PM you. and also please read my next post..i am going to share my experience...
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by k11
    Well, I do not think it will be possible. And yes it hard to see what that includes. But anyway just ask the people who have built houses and look inside their houses. Do not look at per sqft cost. You will be suprised on how much people spend on. Construction guys do not include anything, they just quote you bricks, cement, steel, sand and labour price. Four walls and roof is what they do.

    What I have noticed in that you need to cough up 1000/sqft even on bare shell apts that our builders dish out to bring it upto decent livable standards. The difference between a model Apt and a finished product is huge, many folks do not even realise it. When you go shopping to buy materials, the prices does add up quickly.


    hello sir, thanks once again. you are spot on, the rates are for the basic structure and anything additional is extra including the compound. I spoke to another builder who was like 3000-3600/sqft and he promised a rental of 1.5L/month. He was like spending 3-4 lakhs on a bathroom alone. So yes, we get what we pay for...
    CommentQuote
  • Today, I was close to closing this deal. The bank cleared the legal and was willing to release the loan and they wanted me to bring the agreement copy and the estimate. So I was all set. I noticed that since this was a corner plot there were no dimensions mentioned in the original document, so I made a trip to the VO office in uthandi and told them that I needed the dimensions. There a staff was very forthcoming and helpful and immediately offered for measurement. So we were off in my car and on the way, he picked up another person he knew to help with the measurement. He did not have a tape as somebody had borrowed and I bought one for 400 rs from a hardware shop in panayur and off we drove to the plot. As soon as we landed there, the person who we picked up along the way said that this plot had double document and I had no idea what he was speaking. And well, we completed the measurements and came back to the car. and then, I asked what a double document was - he explained that there were 2 people who were claiming to be owners. I was wondering how this was possible as every other document like EC, Patta, land documents, chitta, adangal, etc were all tallying. So I was confused and paid this guy for helping with the measurements and went straight to the VGP housing office in Saidapet. I was asked to meet a person and he asked me for the Sale Deed. As soon as he saw the document (Xerox) he told me it was a fake. He explained that only their people knew VGP's signature and the bank people did not know that. But anyway, he sent it to be cross checked with another person and after a while, the other person too told that this was not the actual VGP's signature and he mentioned that this document had come to him 4 times so far. He also mentioned, that people fake the sale deed and then get the other documents as people cannot make out from a fake signature. Well, that was a jolt and things started falling in place for me - in uthandi a ground above 500metres was quoting for over a crore and there was this land with the perfect facings and lot over a ground being quoted at less than a crore. I thanked my lucky stars as I would have been a crore poorer and landless too...So here's a lesson for all of us..to check and double check documents and talk to a whole lot of people..even banks can make mistakes. And a person who was brought in to help with the measurements helped raise the authenticity of the documents and I was guided to do the right check...well guessing GOD was with me in this..
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by redhat111
    Today, I was close to closing this deal. The bank cleared the legal and was willing to release the loan and they wanted me to bring the agreement copy and the estimate. So I was all set. I noticed that since this was a corner plot there were no dimensions mentioned in the original document, so I made a trip to the VO office in uthandi and told them that I needed the dimensions. There a staff was very forthcoming and helpful and immediately offered for measurement. So we were off in my car and on the way, he picked up another person he knew to help with the measurement. He did not have a tape as somebody had borrowed and I bought one for 400 rs from a hardware shop in panayur and off we drove to the plot. As soon as we landed there, the person who we picked up along the way said that this plot had double document and I had no idea what he was speaking. And well, we completed the measurements and came back to the car. and then, I asked what a double document was - he explained that there were 2 people who were claiming to be owners. I was wondering how this was possible as every other document like EC, Patta, land documents, chitta, adangal, etc were all tallying. So I was confused and paid this guy for helping with the measurements and went straight to the VGP housing office in Saidapet. I was asked to meet a person and he asked me for the Sale Deed. As soon as he saw the document (Xerox) he told me it was a fake. He explained that only their people knew VGP's signature and the bank people did not know that. But anyway, he sent it to be cross checked with another person and after a while, the other person too told that this was not the actual VGP's signature and he mentioned that this document had come to him 4 times so far. He also mentioned, that people fake the sale deed and then get the other documents as people cannot make out from a fake signature. Well, that was a jolt and things started falling in place for me - in uthandi a ground above 500metres was quoting for over a crore and there was this land with the perfect facings and lot over a ground being quoted at less than a crore. I thanked my lucky stars as I would have been a crore poorer and landless too...So here's a lesson for all of us..to check and double check documents and talk to a whole lot of people..even banks can make mistakes. And a person who was brought in to help with the measurements helped raise the authenticity of the documents and I was guided to do the right check...well guessing GOD was with me in this..


    redhat111
    you did not have to go through the story at all, from the very first post i SMELLED its the case, phase I is notorious for this
    we have fought an IPS, POLICE inspector, retired judge all kind of people to save lands there,
    So when you do deal with folks first come here talk to the members who knows the lay of the land and get opinion
    Thats why i asked you the property site number if im still not wrong this property is forged in saidapet office, the orig owner is in Saudi and claimed to be deceased or dead in any case if you are ok PM the site no i might have a story for you.
    recently i almost got into another deal and walked out
    the price you wont beleive was 65L a ground ( not approved ) close to sea ) this comes under the owner use section later converted in plots
    but yes price was 10-15L than market price
    Now look at who you deal with panayur,vadapalani broker gangs there, forget it dont even deal with them
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by SRajagopalan
    redhat111
    Thats why i asked you the property site number if im still not wrong this property is forged in saidapet office, the orig owner is in Saudi and claimed to be deceased or dead in any case if you are ok PM the site no i might have a story for you.

    Now look at who you deal with panayur,vadapalani broker gangs there, forget it dont even deal with them


    SR sir, Spot on...spot on!!!
    (I am figuring out how to PM you. Am new here...)
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by redhat111
    SR sir, Spot on...spot on!!!
    (I am figuring out how to PM you. Am new here...)


    This story is getting way too funnny, did you deal with any one called Raja or did the property have a compound wall around it ? which was built around 2-3 months back ?
    Hahahaha, tell you what , i had even more interesting offer to play on this property if this is the same one i know you are talking about
    hahahahah
    CommentQuote
  • @redhat111,

    Well, this shows that the Bank's clearance means nothing when doing purchase.
    And there are so many dangers, when just jumping into a land deal in unknown areas.

    That is why I am saying there are many benefits to buying an older existing house.
    Though there could be some issues on the documents too, but at least the chances are less. Down the road, you might not have any encroachment issues or people selling your land.

    Good Luck on your search.
    CommentQuote
  • This kind of fradulent changes to docs its impossible for a bank to find out, if you go to a registrar office and do a copy of document you cannot find out. these are some very unique and new techniques
    At the end of the day the bank is going to come after you, whether the land is bad or good, they dont care.
    the extent of frauds need to meticulously siffed, it boils down to experience and ability to detect bad signals in a transaction at the very early on
    Also when you get some local guys/agents/brokers/politicians keeping in good connections is a very important element as well
    CommentQuote