Last updated: June 9 2017
31 | Posts
30512 | Views
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labour Contract for Construction of a New House : Chennai

Hi ,

I am planning on building a house in a land of app 2500 sq ft, the ground flr is expected to be 1200 sq ft and the first floor is to have a simple bath attached guestroom of app 250 sq ft with steps from the outside, say over the carpark. We are thinking of a labour contract. Need your valuable suggestions and advice on the foll.

Suggeseted Labour contract on 100 sq ft : Rs 28000/-(with staircase, septic tank, weathering course being extras.

Suggested Carpentary rates: Rs 100/sq ft for windows and doors which only need fixing....Rs 130/ sq ft - for doors which need to be made.

Interiors : Cupboards boxtype - Rs 150/sq ft
    loft covers or just covers for shelves: Rs 130/sq ft

Electrical n Plumbing: Quotes not yet recd

Tiling: quotes not yet recd

Painting: Quotes yet to be recd

The floor plan has already been done...Since its basically a single flr bldg with only one big room on top, we would like a decent elevation, what are the likely charges for getting a decent elevation drg.

Also plse let me know the charges for the structural drg. Since we do not have any intention of going beyond the first floor, one person suggested mullions instead of the currently common columns and beams. Any views....

Further we are wondering whether to go in UPVC windows or stick to the normal wooden windows. Recently we helped build our brothers house, and even with the wooden windows closed we find many mosquitoes caught betn the mesh and the window. Is it a problem with all wooden windows which cannot be sealed tight, or is it a matter of poor carpentary work. Plse advice.

Further, has anyone tried getting a discount from the hardware stores if we decide to procure most of our items from them, and if we are not builders but one time buyers.

Thanks and hope this thread becomes a great asset for everyone who is intending to build, and we learn from all the others who have done it before.
    Last edited February 21 2018, 01:11 PM.

Re : Labour Contract for Construction of a New House : Chennai

Be Short and clear what you want

an average contract charges 1200 per sqft, it depends upon your extra quality but 1200/- will give you a good quality. This rate is excluding work outside the building and approval plus misc charges.

please post again with how much of sqft you want and quality i will give you the details from the grass root ( iam not a builder or broker) mean while i will send you quatation which i have but dont try to contact him.

Comment

I think 1500 psft (+ extras separate) is good rate for getting reasonably good quality. 2800 is very high.

Comment

Hi bala, I was planning on entering a labour contract, wherein the material will be bought by me, since I wanted all info available, I guess it got too long to read. Is 280 per sq ft., for just masonry work ok.

Comment

house construction

Hi
          280/sq ft for masonry is correct rate.
          are you technically knowledgeable about civil construction, because i doubt if any labor contractor would be able to understand the structural drawing, if he tells you what he understands from the drawing you should be able to ascertain whether he is right or wrong.

Comment

Hi. Am not technically qualified, but the labour contractor happened to work for a civil engg for over 10 yrs, as the cheif mason. Guess I need to get the structural engg to give me a few tips prior to taking it from him..what is the normal rate charged for the carpark, if its likely to open on all sides, barring the roof.

Comment

construction works doing by labour contractors

depends a labour contractor for house construction is little bit risky. hire a architect/engineer for technical guidance. they doesnt know about the load of the building, soil bearing capacity, tension&compression areas. please go the safest way. also lot of people thinking that material purchase is only cement, steel, bricks & sand. lot of materials&matters beyond it. good luck.

Comment

A mason does what an engineer tells him to do, working under an engineer might not make him technically sound. its like a compounder carrying out the instructions given by a doctor for 40yrs also would not make them gain the knowledge which the doctor has.
                10yrs back i was like you & went in for labor contract & suffered heavily, since then i always try to dissuade anyone from going for labor contract. after that i had good experience with builder & i suggest that you hire a technically sound engineer for consultation atleast.
                Labor contractors usually do not have much integrity,dont bother about the technicals and aesthetics, when the work is around completion their attitude will be totally different from what it is now.
                Originally posted by ivanravi View Post
                Hi. Am not technically qualified, but the labour contractor happened to work for a civil engg for over 10 yrs, as the cheif mason. Guess I need to get the structural engg to give me a few tips prior to taking it from him..what is the normal rate charged for the carpark, if its likely to open on all sides, barring the roof.

Comment

Hi,
                  I think the rate 280/sft is little high.
                  for carpentry works better you buy the lengthy woods and do the work.
                  you go with one technical person with do the work,otherwise the labour contractor waste the materials and cannot do quality work.

Comment

I got my housework done thru labour contract. He just wanted the drawing.... as per that he constructed the house completely and we did not engage the services of an engineer. This mason has constructed many house in and around porur. He has constructed ground plus two floors for me.. Should I better get the bldg evaluated by a qualified engineer? Pl suggest.

Comment

Tags: None
                    Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                    Working...
                    X