Collapse

Labour Contract for Construction of a New House : Chennai

Last updated: June 9 2017
31 | Posts
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Labour Contract for Construction of a New House : Chennai

Hi, Even the mason that we have approached has done quite a few buildings and surprisingly I know 3 of them who had got it done by him, who are quite satisfied with his work ethics...I have seen the outward quality and it looks ok. Some 4 yrs back I helped build a house for a family member, and initially it was on contract, but once almost 75% of the work was done, the guy left it hanging saying he did not have money to rotate and will continue once he gets another project...So after over 10 months I had to get the job completed with others and had to do all the tiling, carpentary, plumbing, electrical(externals), painting etc with diff sets of people....So just don't want to fall in the rut again of putting ourselves at the mercy of a contractor...Once bitten twice (always) shy?

Comment

BTW, Jayasarathi, can you plse send me the contact of the mason you hired and the rate and year when he did the work for you...Just so that I might know what the trend is.

Comment

Please wait sorry i have lost that quatation but any how dont hurry pls wait i will get it. I have it on my uncles laptop i have said him to mail me. Pls wait for my reply the rate they quoted for you is very very high.

Comment

@ivanravi
          its unfortunate what happened to your relative. selecting a reliable builer is not easy. i always tell people to not just look at the quoted rate/sq.ft, 1st enquire abt his previous works, visit his completed projects, talk to previous clients. when we converse with them, to an extent we'll be able to infer if they are technically sound.
          Hope you have a successful stint with labor contract.

Comment

how old is the building now? do you have any specific problems like leakage/cracks/flooring problems etc? if not then don't worry. anyways you have constructed G+2 so no further scope for further floors in the future i guess.
            most of the time people have problems when they want to add a floor & then find out that the building is not structurally sound.
            Originally posted by JAYASARATHI View Post
            I got my housework done thru labour contract. He just wanted the drawing.... as per that he constructed the house completely and we did not engage the services of an engineer. This mason has constructed many house in and around porur. He has constructed ground plus two floors for me.. Should I better get the bldg evaluated by a qualified engineer? Pl suggest.

Comment

Can anyone plse help me with the details that I need to ensure written in the labour contract for the mason. Thanks in advance.

- The rates for various extras and those inclusive have been mentioned, other than that I thought it would be advantageous to get the ht of flooring above the street level, depth of foundation, elevation rate (once the elevation is shown), etc also agreed upon prior to commencement.

Comment

• sivababu1606
                sivababu1606 commented
                Editing a comment
                i thinking the rate of the full finish works is high quality of the structure is 1550rs ct by babu 9698873813

Hi got hold of some raw material rates,
              As on 13 Jun 2013, the rates I have been able to get in Tambaram are

Dalmia Vajram: 320; Zuari - 320 and Coramandel King - 330 Rs per 50kg bag
              Bricks - Normal Rs 17300-17500/- (box moulded is quoted at Rs 19000/-) per 3000 bricks
              Sand: At 32.5 per cft works out to 13000 rs for 4 units and Rs 24375/- for 7.5 units
              Jalli : Rs 6000-6600 for 2 units (3/4 jalli)
              Rs 5800 - Rs 6400 for 2 units (1.5 jalli)
              Steel: 8 mm Isteel - 46.8 Rs per kg (ISI is 45.5)
              10, 12, 16 mm - Isteel Rs 45.6 per kg(ISI is 44 per kg)

Plse let me know if you think the rates are on the higher side.

Comment

Rate of Cement seems to have come down to RS 310/ per bag...as on 14 Jul 2013. If there is any change in rates plse intimate on this, so that it will help during my bldg. Thanks.

Comment

Cement rates as on 30 Jul 13 is Rs 257+vat = Rs 295/- for 100+ bags.(ultratech/ vajram). For regular updates on rates of cement/ steel, you can open up kamalam steels website, where the pricelist is updated on a daily basis.

Comment

Dear all,

We are right now at the cut - lintel stage...Can you plse let me know the time reqd for the lintels to set, when the shutterings can be removed, and when the brickwork above lintel level might commence. How much time must elapse after the brick work till 9' is done and the roof shuttering commences. Plse reply asap...Awaiting your valuable inputs.

Comment

Tags: None
                    Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                    Working...
                    X