Global property consultancy firm, Knight Frank India, on Thursday said prices in the residential property segment are likely to decline in a short time. “We feel prices of residential segment may go down over a period of time,” Knight Frank India Chairman Pranay Vakil told reporters here today. The residential segment may see a robust demand in certain markets, he said, adding that it was also a good time for property developers to invest in land.

Demand for real estate at this stage is a combination of investor-led demand and end-user demand. While investor demand is due to shift in money from equity markets, end-user demand is due to increased consumer confidence and pent-up unmet demand from the recession period. This leads to a rapid increase in demand for real estate and a corresponding increase in property prices, he said. Today, property buyers are worried that prices may go down after they purchase property and projects may not be completed on time, Vakil said.

Knight Frank today launched a book titled Real Investment-a real estate investment guide for India. The book seeks to lend a helping hand by covering all the information that one may require while investing in real estate. The book compiles the perspectives of real estate industry experts to help deepen knowledge about real estate and consider it as an asset class. Commenting on the book launch, Vakil said, as property advisors, we continuously work with some of the best minds in the sector. We felt the need for a single credible source of information, for which we brought together the best minds in the business. This book makes the seemingly daunting task of delving into the real estate market simpler by offering tips on how to make real estate a lucrative investment option.”
Read more
69 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Originally Posted by lovebirds43k
    Their reports are like weather reports

These are like Tsunami predictions. Most of the time it may be failure or mild. But when it really happens, no one could withstand!!! RE crash doesn't happen every other day.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Ramchi
    These are like Tsunami predictions. Most of the time it may be failure or mild. But when it really happens, no one could withstand!!! RE crash doesn't happen every other day.

i own a property now, still i wish this prediction to be right. RE in Chennai is crazy, with given quality and infrastructure the quoted prices are way out of average income. why average income. even people who have very good incomes cant afford a good property.

if only NRI's and Black money can buy property where will the middle class in Chennai go. i wish this prediction to be absolutely right.

With that being said, i would never ask a first time buyer to wait for a crash. A crash or rise will not affect a first time buyer who is also a end user.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Ramchi

After Tsunami, I was one of the people who thought beach side properties will be available at a bargain..That time RE market was dull and macro economy was not bright..prices where already down..we were talking about possible crash of prices..but guess what? there were hoardes of people like me and it resulted in asking price doubling within 6 months. The learning I got was..In india, RE is more than just investment..people cannot afford to stay away and there is no dearth of buyers who will justify any price they are able to afford.

I am banking on oversupply situation and liquidity issues faced by the builders and loan-default by buyers resulting in negative sentiment in RE to see reasonable correction in future. We are already seeing signs of stagnation from last year.
    CommentQuote
  • This thread was started 4 years ago, most of the posts were made arround that time.

It gives a good idea about people's convictions at that time.
    CommentQuote
  • Bubbles, bubbles everywhere, even in India’s housing mkt, says Roubini | Firstpost

One more and this is not sparing Indian RE market.

I have a feeling that something in the market, economy, political environment not alright as compared with last so many years. Not sure the worst fear becomes nightmare!
    CommentQuote
  • Déjà vu 2008: Slowdown-hit real estate stares at huge job cuts | Firstpost

Looks like 2008 is coming back again with big vengeance!!! Those who do not have sufficient cash or planning to make big purchase based on your monthly income (EMI Payment)...please take a look at it.
    CommentQuote
  • Thats bad news for real estate, but its high time for infrastructure to improve

some 25 yrs back, when my father purchased a flat in Chennai (Ashok Nagar), the cost to infrastructure ration was balanced at that time. We got a 1 BHK flat for Rs1.5 lakh (at that time my father's salary was 3k per month). the construction was almost over when we were booking the flat. Drainage, Metro water, EB ... everything was ready. No hassles

But now if If we earn 50k per month can we buy a flat for 25 lakhs in a good developed area with drainage, metro water etc anywhere in chennai? Let it be Kelambakkam or Ponmar.

Compared to 1990s, our quality of life is deteriorated though technology is advanced manifold

All of this is due to Govt's negligence. If Govt would have planned, we will be having n number of areas like Ashok Nagar or KK Nagar
    CommentQuote
  • That time there was less awareness on land acquistion, compensation etc. That is why govt was able to take lot of lands from poor farmers.

Now lot of political parties to take advantage against land acquistion and more money to be paid
    CommentQuote
  • Get this: LIC is likely to declare realty major Unitech as a defaulter | Firstpost

Looks like we have defaulters started arriving one after the other. First it was HIRCO now Unitech......
    CommentQuote