Hi,

I bought a second hand flat in Chennai, I received all the documents from the previous owner except the copy of the Sale deed which was written in a 20 rupee stamp paper.

Even though we have the parent Sale deed document which was written in 5000 rupee stamp paper, the copy of the sale deed which was written in a 20 rupee stamp paper went missing and finally found that it was with the tenant.

Now the tenant has vacated the house and is not giving me the sale deed copy document. He has already been in the house for four years.

I have a doubt if he can create any problem with the rent receipts and the sale deed copy document.

Will this be a problem when I sell my flat or will banks deny me bank loans?

I discussed with a lawyer he says I have to file an FIR and advertise in the paper for the missing sale deed copy document.

Experts Kindly advise me!!
Read more
10 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Your lawyer is dead right! There is no other option. Go for FIR and newspaper Ad.
    CommentQuote
  • The post is confusing.
    What is this Rs5000 sale agreement and copy of Rs20 stamp paper agreement?
    Which is the registered sale agreement?
    For proving any title,original documents are required.
    CommentQuote
  • Hi Sir,

Both the document are registered sale deed documents. I don't know why there was a copy of the document in 20 rupee stamp paper.
    The 5000 rupee document was with the bank as the property was bought using home loan and the 20 rupee document was with the owner which was missing.
    CommentQuote
  • Where is the original of Rs20 stamp paper registered agreement?
    It appears that Rs20 stamp paper agreement was in addition to main sales deed.
    If tenant has only a copy of Rs20 stamp paper agreement it really has no titular value.
    You can apply for a certified copy of rs20 sale agreement from concerned sub registrar also.
    Ad in newspaper is warranted.
    In my opinion if only a copy of rs20 sale agreement is with tenant,he can do no harm with xerox copies.
    However consult a RE lawyer for drafting ad and even complaint if advised.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by anandkumar
    Hi Sir,

Both the document are registered sale deed documents. I don't know why there was a copy of the document in 20 rupee stamp paper.
    The 5000 rupee document was with the bank as the property was bought using home loan and the 20 rupee document was with the owner which was missing.

Which document was registered with the SRO? And which one is the oldest? If its the Rs 5000 stamp paper one for both questions then you need not worry..from what you are saying, it appears there were two docs one with the actual sale amount and the other the government amount..or the rs 20 one could be just the construction cum sale agreement with the builder..you need to explain the full context to an experienced lawyer to get professional advise..here on this forum we can just guide you. All the best.
    CommentQuote
  • ha ha the Rs.5000 one is the original sale deed....copy of document anybody can apply on any ones property...So no issues...until u have the original sale deed...with you....chill...Y u go behind the tenant and waste your time.If you go to the concern SRO copy of documents can be applied at Rs.200...So keep the Sale deed careful...
    CommentQuote
  • To be more clear, the 20 rupee sale deed document is the Duplicate version of the original Sale deed. Its not a xerox copy, it has all the information as in the original sale deed including the photograph and signatures. This duplicate sale deed document is with the tenant.
    CommentQuote
  • In this circumstances.it is necessary to to take action,as it may create confusion at some stage to potential buyers.
    Deed of cancellation can be executed with respect to this rs20 stamp agreement.
    Tenant has no right to retain this document.FIR will bring him to senses.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by anandkumar
    Hi,

I bought a second hand flat in Chennai, I received all the documents from the previous owner except the copy of the Sale deed which was written in a 20 rupee stamp paper.

Even though we have the parent Sale deed document which was written in 5000 rupee stamp paper, the copy of the sale deed which was written in a 20 rupee stamp paper went missing and finally found that it was with the tenant.

Now the tenant has vacated the house and is not giving me the sale deed copy document. He has already been in the house for four years.

I have a doubt if he can create any problem with the rent receipts and the sale deed copy document.

Will this be a problem when I sell my flat or will banks deny me bank loans?

I discussed with a lawyer he says I have to file an FIR and advertise in the paper for the missing sale deed copy document.

Experts Kindly advise me!!

From this I presume, your old tenant accepted having possession of the document. Talk to him over phone, record the conversation, take him to police with your lawyer help. If the tenant is non-reasonable, why not deal in this way.
    CommentQuote
  • thts wht mr.anand copy of document can be applied by anyone....See if u start reacting to these ppl..then everyone will apply copy of document n keep demanding money for u...so chuck out...ur safe...dont waste ur time in all silly n useless acts n create urself more trouble...
    CommentQuote