I am a house owner in chennai .Who keeps the original rental agreementfor the home either house owner(me) or tenant ?.
Read more
9 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • gnswamy,
    Owner keeps original rent agreement.
    CommentQuote
  • vaibav123,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply.
    CommentQuote
  • Rentalagreement r done in two sets one the owner keeps and one the tenant keep that is general practice.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by gnswamy
    I am a house owner in chennai .Who keeps the original rental agreementfor the home either house owner(me) or tenant ?.

Tenant
    CommentQuote
  • akhu,
    Why should the tenant keep original rent agreement?
    The agreement can then be lost/misplaced and tenant can create enough problems if he wishes.
    Original documents are always held by owner to my knowledge.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by vaibav123
    akhu,
    Why should the tenant keep original rent agreement?
    The agreement can then be lost/misplaced and tenant can create enough problems if he wishes.
    Original documents are always held by owner to my knowledge.

The same holds true for landlord who can create problems if he wishes.

On a slightly different note majority of the rent agreements made in India have no legal weight. They are just to give an illusion of false security to the parties involved
    CommentQuote
  • Normally 2 sets of originals are made in Rs.20/- India Non-judicial stamp papers. It has got weight-age only if it is registered.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by gnswamy
    I am a house owner in chennai .Who keeps the original DSS Accepted property rental agreementfor the home either house owner(me) or tenant ?.

Hi
    A lease or rental agreement sets out the rules landlords and tenants agree to follow in their rental relationship. It is a legal contract, as well as an immensely practical document full of crucial business details, such as how long the tenant can occupy the property and the amount of rent due each month.
    CommentQuote
  • Hello
    Any rental agreement if it is a period of above 12 months must be registered for its legal validity. Therefore many people go for eleven month agreement. Also the owner can make one original agreement on non judicial stamp paper and make a copy of it Both owner and tenant sign the original agreement and copy of the agreement with one witness from owner side and one witness from tenant . Then the owner can keep the original agreement and copy of the agreement to be with the tenant.
    CommentQuote