Hi
I read somewhere that
1.Rental agreement(11 months) that we sign with tenants are not valid in court.

2.If a tenant pays rent correctly then you cannot ask them to vacate.

3.If a tenant stays in your apartment for 12 years,then they own it.

Is this info correct ? Could someone please clarify ?

Thanks
Read more
7 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • My 2 cents
    Originally Posted by ganesh5
    Hi
    I read somewhere that
    1.Rental agreement(11 months) that we sign with tenants are not valid in court. Not true. It is valid.

2.If a tenant pays rent correctly then you cannot ask them to vacate. Not true. You can ask them to vacate, provided you give the advance notice as stated in rental agreement.

3.If a tenant stays in your apartment for 12 years,then they own it. Not true. You should have the patta, the property tax and EB on your name. Nobody else can claim that property except you.

Is this info correct ? Could someone please clarify ?

Thanks
    CommentQuote
  • CommentQuote
  • Thank you both.

Is there a reason why most of the rental agreement is for 11 months ?
    Are there any issues if signed more than 11 ?
    CommentQuote
  • I am making my rental agreements to my tenants for 12 months. (not the usual 11) Is it a problem?
    CommentQuote
  • In India, Tenancy agreement for 11 months doesn't require registration that's why its so, otherwise any tenancy agreement for one years or more has to be registered with the Registrar of the District where the property is situated/located in the same manner as one requires registration of any sale deed or power of attorney for sale etc for any immovable property according to Registration Act.
    As far termination of the tenancy contract is kept open to the parties hence the clause of one month notice by either of them is provided in the tenancy contract.
    CommentQuote
  • Even 11 months agreements or lease deeds have to be registered as per HC, otherwise it will be considered as evidence but only Collateral.
    Read here

Landlords, beware of 11-month lease deeds - Bangalore Mirror
    CommentQuote
  • Thanks for the info, I was looking for this.
    CommentQuote