New Town was planned as a solution to the dare need of reasonable residential area in Kolkata. The whole of Kolkata may appear like a slum to many, except only the Saltlake area. Discount those few small pockets here and there like BC road, Burdwan road, etc as in 5 minute from these place, you will be in mess.

So WB Government planned New Town 10-15 years back, which is estimated as 3 times the size of Salt lake. As usual in Bengal, opposition and the so called Bangali intellectuals found so many agenda to fuel their ego and kill their boredom. There were many hurdles and probably the most funniest was the cow episode... where one great leader found that the street cows are thinner (or slimmer) now due to developments in New town and he/she lost his/her night sleep worrying about that.

New Town was probably the most promising solution for Kolkata's residential woes, coupled with horrible traffic condition. However, it was delayed more than 10 years and now there are just few islands of residential towers. Except part of AA 1, no other place in entire New Town is livable. AA 1 is also not really livable.

Now the election is in next month or so and there is a realistic possibility of collapse of the communist government by didi.... fate of New Town is unknown.

The most optimistic expectation is, after 1 or 2 years, the development of this area will resume at a slower pace.... anyway, already it is very slow.

The pessimistic view is all legal development will come to a standstill and there will be flood of illegal developments.... the dream of New Town will be killed and we will end up with a MEGA SLUM. It just take one night to have a slum.

Builder lobby, money may not be that useful in Bengal.... you know Tata Nano and so many other cases. After knowing 2G scam and Radia episode, you must be knowing how innocent Tata is!!

No worries, we will look forward for SLUMOG part II

I know this thread is not frequented by many people... still views are welcome.

:bab (4):
Read more
16 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Bengal has been in a limbo for many years now. With the TMC almost sure of coming into power, the reds won't keep quiet for sure. We will see a rebirth of the militant unionism of the last century. CPM has an elaborate cadre support everywhere and it will be easy for them to stall any project that the TMC decides to bring. Dark times ahead ?
    I wish not.
    With, hopefully a decisive majority, some radical reforms are needed. I hope that above the cacophony of "Cholbe Na" and Didi speak, the lady has a plan of action.
    CommentQuote
  • Seems no one is interested in City of Joy, except me and Mikhail.... and it definitely speaks about those theories of RE Market and IT Junta. If you take this forum as market sample and Kolkata RE market... unlikely you can find that RE and IT relationship. Kolkata got a small IT market and most of the Bengali IT guys are outside Kolkata.... but RE market is quite hot due to very limited good supply.

Kolkata RE market has two distinctive areas

a. The high end : This market is mostly flooded with local Gujarati and Marwari business communities and yes... the black monies from Bengal as well as neighboring states as well as countries. There are very few service class or IT Bengali buyers, mostly NRIs and those settled outside and wants to return back to Kolkata.

b. The average stand alone or 2/3 building complex : Here you see a healthy mix of buyers. There are areas which are more cosmopolitan such as Lake Town, Bangur, Alipur, Lake Gardens, etc commands a higher market value. Some areas such as Baguihati, VIP roads are quickly transforming into more cosmopolitan and they are seeing a steep rise in price.

In essence, Kolkata RE market is still end user driven and there was no crash in price. Due to uncertainty, Rajarhat area is going slow but Rajarhat Road area sky rocketed.

However if you look at the prices... it's damn expensive in Kolkata. A 4 story small stand alone building flat in a narrow lane with all 4 sides fully blocked can command a rate of 3000 psf in average areas like Lake Town. .. don't ask for quality or amenities or facilities in stand alone building... neither a decent wide road.

Kolkata is in dare need of a decent residential areas. Except Saltlake, currently there are none. Kalyani is too far. People staying in cramped old buildings in Burra Bazar area and such needs better area for their money... and they can afford that too.

We need Government and public there to ask for proper measures otherwise Kolkata will be the largest slum.

Best of luck to my favorite Dadas...
    CommentQuote
  • Very informative regarding Calcutta. As I have not been to that area therefore, cant comment any but knowing about the RE of that city from your comment is good. Seems we dont have more members from Eastern part of the country or they are all busy in election time and occupied by more important issues eg ( why the cows are thinner in that area)
    CommentQuote
  • Yes I agree with the points mentioned about development in the City of Joy. I am originally from Kolkata but living abroad for quite some time and now I get the slum like feeling in Old Kolkata. But was really impressed with Rajarhat New Town development during my recent visit. Was planning to buy a flat but turned down since there are lot of problems like Electricity, Water , Sewage, etc. Plus the politics surrounding it ...didi+la jhanda....Finally started my RE research in Noida /G.Noida
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by koolmrsam
    Yes I agree with the points mentioned about development in the City of Joy. I am originally from Kolkata but living abroad for quite some time and now I get the slum like feeling in Old Kolkata. But was really impressed with Rajarhat New Town development during my recent visit. Was planning to buy a flat but turned down since there are lot of problems like Electricity, Water , Sewage, etc. Plus the politics surrounding it ...didi+la jhanda....Finally started my RE research in Noida /G.Noida

If you like Rajarhat and can afford to hold it for 5 years then buy now. To me it will be the only livable place in Kolkata beside Saltlake.

For your own stay, Noida and GNoida is definitely very good option. Probably the best in India for north India style cosmopolitan living, you will never feel like alien. You will be surprised to see the developments in NCR region. However, for people like you there will be two issues, the climate and general arrogance of people. Once you learn to adjust with that... smooth sailing. I had gone through that when I moved from Mumbai to NCR.

Go through the vast knowledge here and then decide.
    Noida - Real Estate India - Gurgaon - Noida - Delhi - Mumbai - Pune - Chennai - Property Discussion Forum - www.iref.in
    CommentQuote
  • Now that election results are almost there and Didi (Mamta) is on the way to form the Government in WB.... what next?
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ondabhai
    Now that election results are almost there and Didi (Mamta) is on the way to form the Government in WB.... what next?

I dont expect any improvement coming with Didi...they are all the same...now its her turn to earn huge amount of money
    CommentQuote
  • I do not think Didi will disturb New town.

THere are pockets of land losers who claim they were cheated by politicians, builders, but she needs to focus on other things to ensure voter loyalty.Creating more singurs will be detrimental to her voter base
    CommentQuote
  • She already has her plate full with a tall expectation .. "Wind of Change"

I think the concern for Rajarhat will be inaction, Rajarhat is not her focus in any way. The area require immediate developments in the vacant areas. There is a huge and huge area lying vacant today in Rajarhat and which can be encroached any day. Besides encroachments, unplanned development will be another problem, which plagued the entire Kolkata.

There supposed to be a CBD in Rajarhat and so far there is not even a single commercial building around that area. There supposed to be a convention centre .. Virtually the entire area from Narkelbagan to City Centre 2 is EMPTY and ready for ENCROACHMENTS.

In this days of political instability, no one will dare to touch those encroachments and that will be permanent feature of Rajarhat.... it will be another slum of "City of Joy"

Only hope might be the long awaited expansion of metro. Calcutta is a 300+ years old city, which never progressed from Tegore era.... the only solution to the messy transportation problem is METRO ... hope she will expedite Metro
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ondabhai
    She already has her plate full with a tall expectation .. "Wind of Change"

I think the concern for Rajarhat will be inaction, Rajarhat is not her focus in any way. The area require immediate developments in the vacant areas. There is a huge and huge area lying vacant today in Rajarhat and which can be encroached any day. Besides encroachments, unplanned development will be another problem, which plagued the entire Kolkata.

There supposed to be a CBD in Rajarhat and so far there is not even a single commercial building around that area. There supposed to be a convention centre .. Virtually the entire area from Narkelbagan to City Centre 2 is EMPTY and ready for ENCROACHMENTS.

In this days of political instability, no one will dare to touch those encroachments and that will be permanent feature of Rajarhat.... it will be another slum of "City of Joy"

Only hope might be the long awaited expansion of metro. Calcutta is a 300+ years old city, which never progressed from Tegore era.... the only solution to the messy transportation problem is METRO ... hope she will expedite Metro

From what i heard from a few friends of mine there, metro work has really picked up in the last few months. With the rail ministry in her kitty and also the CM chair, i guess this will be on track.
    The bigger challenge would be to de-politicize the government service there. Whenever a new employee joins any dept there, he is forced to join either CPIM or Congress/TMC union. After that, he has to follow their diktats or risk being ostracized. People have forgotten how to work. Such is the situation that even minor fee hikes (From 12Rs a month to 100 Rs a month - in a reputed college last year) are met with strikes and violence. CPM always had one excuse - central govt is biased against it. Mamata won't have that.
    CommentQuote
  • With CPM gone, farmers now want their lands back from Hidco

With CPM gone, farmers now want their lands back from Hidco

Aftеr defeating CPI-M candidates іn Rajarhat Gopalpur аnԁ Rajarhat Nеw Town constituencies іn thе Assembly poll thе farmers now want thеіr land back whісh hаԁ bееn forcibly taken frοm thеm bу thе Housing аnԁ Infrastructure Development Corporation (Hidco) tο set up Nеw Town.
    Trinamul Congress leaders Mr Purnendu Basu аnԁ Mr Sabyasachi Dutta defeated thеіr rivals Mr Rabin Mondol аnԁ Mr Tapas Chatterjee іn thе two seats.

Trinamul Congress chief Miss Mamata Banerjee hаԁ assured thе farmers before thе election thаt land taken without thеіr consent wουƖԁ bе returned. Thе villagers organised feasts οn Saturday tο celebrate Trinamul Congress’ victory.

Thе farmers wіƖƖ soon meet Miss Banerjee tο press fοr thеіr demand. “Wе hаνе voted fοr Didi аnԁ guess ѕhе wουƖԁ keep hеr word аnԁ return thе land thаt wеrе taken without ουr consent,” ѕаіԁ a farmer οf thе Akandakeshari area. Meanwhile, thе farmers hаνе begun farming οn land thаt hаѕ уеt tο bе bουɡht bу Hidco though thеу hаνе received compensation. Thе farmers аt Ghuni, Hatiara, Patharghata, Akandakeshari аnԁ Chapna ѕаіԁ thеу wουƖԁ nοt give thе land tο Hidco.

Thе one-point agenda οf thе farmers іn Rajarhat tο ɡеt back thеіr land hаѕ рƖасе thе Trinamul Congress leaders іn a fix аѕ thеу know іt wουƖԁ bе hard tο return thе land.

“It’s next tο impossible tο return thе land tο thе farmers. Bυt thеу wουƖԁ nοt know thіѕ аѕ thеу hаνе voted fοr ουr candidates wіth thе hope thаt land taken frοm thеm wουƖԁ bе returned,” local Trinamul Congress leaders ѕаіԁ.

Thе people іn urban Rajarhat demand development οf infrastructure thаt include drinking water, construction οf service road, electricity аnԁ sewer lines, thеу added.

“It wіƖƖ bе hard fοr thе nеw government tο ԁο magic іn Rajarhat аnԁ οnƖу negligible infrastructure hаѕ bееn constructed ѕο far іn thе proposed township whеrе construction ѕtаrtеԁ over a decade ago,” ѕаіԁ a senior Hidco authoritative.
    CommentQuote
  • Major development projects in Kolkata yet to take off

Kolkata: Some major projects Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority (KMDA) was scheduled to execute off EM Bypass, Salt Lake and Kona Expressway have failed to take off.
    The most anticipated project- a business park on 100 acres of land at Nonadanga near Ruby hospital off EM Bypass- was planned in 2007 and the authorities were expecting to earn huge revenues with land prices off EM Bypass, skyrocketing at that time. Then the recession struck and the land auctioning was postponed.

The authorities reopened the tender and were ready to auction the land when the recession slowly phased off and the Lok Sabha elections got over. But, to their dismay, they found the land encroached by shanty dwellers. Once this happened, the project was placed on the backburner as the government became cautious not to create a flutter by evicting encroachers with an eye on the assembly elections.

Another project that did not take off even after signing a memorandum of understanding was the water park on 32 acres of land beside Ruby hospital off EM Bypass. 'International Amusement Limited', the firm that had set up Appu in Delhi, was selected along with Bengal Shrachi Housing Development Limited to build the first-of-its-kind water park in the city on the land. The project cost was pegged at nearly Rs 100 crore and it was supposed to take off by 2006. But it didn't materialize due to various reasons.

In nearby Salt Lake, the authorities were supposed to set up a commercial building on a six acre plot in DJ Block. However, this project did not materialize either. Besides, a considerable amount of land was supposed to be auctioned off Kona Expressway.

Same can happen to Rajarhat New Town any day
    CommentQuote
  • Is it all due to de-population of Kolkata or lack of foresight of authorities or mismanagement?
    CommentQuote
  • Damn. The same cycle will repeat itself. Mamata will not evict these shanty dwellers and she will have a tough time returning land - let alone acquiring some more for industries. Tougher times ahead.
    CommentQuote
  • "Tougher times ahead."

For greater harmony or more disharmony?
    CommentQuote