Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a flat in Laketown and adjoining areas. I'm restricting myself to Laketown, VIP Road and Bangur and my first preference would be Laketown. I'm looking for a ready to move in latest by July-Sep 2015 or resale property.

Looking for anything between 1000-1500 sf and 2/3 BHK (depends on the psf - for the right price I can go between 1400-1500 sf, otherwise 1000-1200 is also fine). I have a non-negotiable floor preference - I only want something on the 1st floor in a building with no lift (Dotola in Bengali) or 2rd floor (Teentola in Bengali) in a building with a lift. (this gets confusing so I'll clarify - I'm counting floors as ground, 1st, 2nd and so on).

If any of you know of any sellers or good agents in the area - it would be great if you could let me know.

Best,

Swati
Read more
4 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Originally Posted by anthead
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a flat in Laketown and adjoining areas. I'm restricting myself to Laketown, VIP Road and Bangur and my first preference would be Laketown. I'm looking for a ready to move in latest by July-Sep 2015 or resale property.

Looking for anything between 1000-1500 sf and 2/3 BHK (depends on the psf - for the right price I can go between 1400-1500 sf, otherwise 1000-1200 is also fine). I have a non-negotiable floor preference - I only want something on the 1st floor in a building with no lift (Dotola in Bengali) or 2rd floor (Teentola in Bengali) in a building with a lift. (this gets confusing so I'll clarify - I'm counting floors as ground, 1st, 2nd and so on).

If any of you know of any sellers or good agents in the area - it would be great if you could let me know.

Best,

Swati

I would advise you to check online.. multiple options available and you get a good idea of the pricing, amenities etc too..Once you shortlist, you can contact the specific agent / seller of those properties.. this would be much more fruitful IMHO..
    An individual agent would usually like to guide you to only his small list of properties and try to influence you.. your options are considerably limited by trying to go to an agent at the outset vis a vis doing your own search online..
    Mere fact that you are posting in this forum shows that you are internet friendly, so surely do your search in the big RE portals and you would not be disappointed.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by AbhiCCU
    I would advise you to check online.. multiple options available and you get a good idea of the pricing, amenities etc too..Once you shortlist, you can contact the specific agent / seller of those properties.. this would be much more fruitful IMHO..
    An individual agent would usually like to guide you to only his small list of properties and try to influence you.. your options are considerably limited by trying to go to an agent at the outset vis a vis doing your own search online..
    Mere fact that you are posting in this forum shows that you are internet friendly, so surely do your search in the big RE portals and you would not be disappointed.

Abhi thank you so much for your reply - your advice is very correct and I fully agree. I'll primarily search online for properties but wanted to supplement that search with anything that might turn up in a broker's listing. I've realised that at times there are people in old fashioned Bangali paras (which parts of Laketown still are) would like to go the traditional local broker route rather than posting online.

I've seen a lot of good listings on RE portals too but it's a pain to weed out all the under-construction listings posing as resale :)
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by anthead

I've seen a lot of good listings on RE portals too but it's a pain to weed out all the under-construction listings posing as resale :)

Believe this should be possible to be done easily via filters available on most sites.. yes, they are still some advt's which are wrongly classified but filters should work most of the time..
    CommentQuote
  • There are primarily two types of local brokers if you exclude the likes of NK/Axiom/Somani etc.
    First the small shops full time agents and secondly the part time chaiwala, grocery shop wala, darwan, saloon wala, whose part time business is dalali. If you are looking at those kinds of broker, just visit the area you intend to buy. Ask 10 small shops and security guards in that area and you will have contact of atleast 5 such brokers. Call them and meet them. If you feel comfortable then you can take further. My personal view is, unless you know them for long time, it is a very risky business. I would rather be fooled by my own decision rather than coned by a 4th fail sadak chap broker. Many a times, these local brokers are just sub broker with a long chain. In a deal, many a times you may see 5-6 such brokers, so you never know who will be with you if you have some problem in the deal.

Internet is a great source. My personal views is, you may look for those posts by an individual. Not all individual posts are genuine but mostly genuine. After some time and experience, you will be able to filter genuine individual posts and fake individual posts.

Arrange visit and one important criteria is, are you comfortable with the seller? Since there is no agent involved, you beth need to be flexible, mutually cooperative and small amounts should not be an issue. Don't deal with person who want to share rikshaw fare!! Believe me, there are many genuine gentleman and you can safely deal with them directly. Ofcourse, risk is there and hence it is important to judge the person first.

By the way, Laketown, Bangur, DD Park, Prafulla Kanan are decent place with many gentlemen living there.
    CommentQuote