CHANDIGARH: The Tricity residents' high-flying wait will be over in February next year, when the local airport will show off its swanky terminal for operation of international flights. It will be on the lines of the Terminal 3 (T3) of Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport, Delhi.

After the construction is over, daily, weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly international flights to Dubai, Middle-East, South-East Asia and Europe will commence from March 2015.

The Airports Authority of India (AAI) has set the deadline of February 17, 2015, for the completion of 60,591 square-metre terminal, which will have state-of-the-art features of T3 of IGI Airport. It will accommodate 1,600 passengers at one point of time and have capacity of eight bays for parking of planes. That's five times bigger than the existing 12,000 square-metre domestic terminal, which was inaugurated in 2011 and has a capacity of only 400 passengers.

Though the new terminal will fall in Jhurjeri village of Mohali district, it will be connected with the domestic terminal in Chandigarh. The Air Traffic Control (ATC) and the runway will continue to be with the local base of the Indian Air Force (IAF).

To ease traffic at the international terminal, a flyover has been constructed, providing departure facility on upper floor, while the arrival will be on the ground floor, just like IGI's T3.

AAI General manager (engineering) D K Kamra said the construction was going on round-the-clock and work on apron and taxiways would be completed by year-end. They faced teething troubles, but were hopeful of completing the work by February next, he added. "The terminal will be smaller than IGI's T3, but will offer a new level of comfort to travellers," he said.

Features of upcoming international terminal:

60,591 square metre area

Capacity for 16,00 passengers (800 for departure and 800 for arrival)

Four aerobridges

Parking bay to accommodate eight aircrafts

Night landing facility

Flyover to segregate passengers for departure and arrival

Duty-free shops

Air-conditioned lounge

Restaurant with A la carte menu

Bar where passengers can wait before flight

LCD TVs with international channels and flight schedule display

High-speed internet access via Wi-Fi

Fully-automated car parking

Joint venture

The Greater Mohali Area Development Authority (GMADA) had handed over 305 acres in Jhurjeri village to AAI in September 2008. The project is a joint venture company of Punjab, Haryana and AAI. Both Punjab and Haryana have 24.5% stake each in the company, while the remaining 51% is with the AAI. The AAI had assigned the construction work of integrated terminal building and allied work to Larsen & Toubro (L&T). The work was allotted in August 2012 with a deadline to complete it within 30 months. The estimated cost of the project is Rs 452 crore.
Read more
70 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Strength of Punjab is agriculture and government needs to setup businesses around it, with a diversified economy around Chandigarh it could become best city to live. My thought will be government focus on following in Chandigarh Area:
    a) IT
    b) Agriculture Hub (Organic or drip farming as an example), export to Punjabi diaspora.
    c) Medical (Hospitals, Tourism), I bet Punjabi diaspora would love to come here for treatment.
    d) Education (ISB, Indian Science Instute, Study centres for foreign universities....)
    e) Fashion (Suits us the best :) )
    f) Punjabi Film Industry
    g) Manufacturing Small and Medium scale (Food processing)
    h) Bio Technology specially Pharma.

There is no need to make Chandigarh are an IT hub, it is better to have diversified economy.
    CommentQuote
  • The Airport is nowhere even close to completion. It will take atleast 2 years to start the airport.
    To be a full fledged airport it will take 5 years.

Even Amritsar Airport which got International status 7 yrs back is still not fully functional even though Majha and Doaba has maximum NRI audience.
    CommentQuote
  • @niceindy - form your post you had mentioned IT is now growing because of lack of international airport and now you are saying about diversity.

Anyways all job categories you have mentioned lie agriculture, fashion, manufacturing are labour intensive and wages will not be that high where people can look to buy property. And government has to take steps these industries don't require international connectivity.

Coming back to original question then how can international airport fill empty houses?
    CommentQuote
  • CommentQuote
  • @jasbns - I still say that IT is not growing because lack of international connectivity, but we are late to make Chandigarh an IT hub. IT revolution is not growing anymore thus government should look for diversification. Though the sectors which I mentioned are labour intensive but these require material to be imported or exported unlike IT sector that is were international airport will be a plus point. Agriculture is labor intensive but the next revolution will reduce this labor dependency, check what Israel is doing.

Coming back to original question, I have answered it earlier and will for your benefit reply again. With any business growing, there definitely will be need for housing. All these empty houses will then get filled, current market can cater to all the sections of the society.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by niceindy
    @jasbns - I still say that IT is not growing because lack of international connectivity, but we are late to make Chandigarh an IT hub. IT revolution is not growing anymore thus government should look for diversification. Though the sectors which I mentioned are labour intensive but these require material to be imported or exported unlike IT sector that is were international airport will be a plus point. Agriculture is labor intensive but the next revolution will reduce this labor dependency, check what Israel is doing.

Coming back to original question, I have answered it earlier and will for your benefit reply again. With any business growing, there definitely will be need for housing. All these empty houses will then get filled, current market can cater to all the sections of the society.

I don't think You require an international airport to grow IT industry. do you know about IT operations none of client from abroad is going to do up-down every month for which you need international airport . There are so many examples like mangalore, trichy where IT is not grown even they have international airport. if you have some solid example/study for facts then let forum members know otherwise let's stop the rhetorics - you can see it for yourself in next 3-4 years.

Fact is chandigarh was never a tier 1 IT destination and it no longer offers low cost benefit and hence prospects of IT are dim if even 3-4 more reputed companies come to tricity then it will be bonus.

and for import and export of goods you require cargo terminal ;) so your point about import-export does not makes any sense as now even passenger terminal is far away. I am very bearish on operations of airport itself when you have Delhi and Amritsar airports close and how many airlines will decide to fly to chandigarh.

On the ground only jobs as of now I have seen are lawyers, govt babu and property dealers, small businesses - you decide for yourself if these can fill in large oversupply of houses.
    CommentQuote
  • @Jasbns - For the benefit of Chandigarh, I hope you are wrong and I am right. Chandigarh is not Tier 1 city neither it is Tier 2, with international airport it will push it in Tier 2 ranks. I am in IT sector dealing with international clients, you have to see for yourself that there are Germans / Norwegians / Americans flying to Chandigarh for business.

Please look around, why is Reliance invested in agriculture in Punjab? In last 1 year, I am seeing lot of IT small businesses ( 0-30 people) growing to medium level (around 100-150). That is an indication that IT is gaining momentum, many clients are interested giving work only after seeing the infrastructure but lack of connectivity becomes first big hurdle.

Why is that we are seeing many 4-5 star hotels coming up? Punjabi NRI don't need to stay in hotels most of them have their own houses in Punjab. There must be some solid reason for the business houses to decide on investing on building these hotels.

We probably represent opposite poles, and I am happy being optimist and hopeful that next 3-4 years are good for Punjab.
    CommentQuote
  • There is a huge difference between having realistic expectation and living in dreams. Not only punjab for benefit of whole india I would like it to become like USA but I know it's not possible that is difference between you and me.

Coming back to your point while outsourcing client looks for people, cost effectiveness and value addition and in big scheme of things it's very small if there is international connectivity or not - as no one from client is going to travel every week that's the point.. Moreover chandigarh always had domestic connectivity and was not located in some remote area so if we missed the bus then we missed. From your response it appears you have not worked in IT operations/ delivery all otherwise you would have been aware of these at first point itself.

Can you post weblink where reliance shows it has actually invested amount you have mentioned in agriculture in punjab because I have not seen anything about it while living here.
    CommentQuote
  • Why is that we are seeing many 4-5 star hotels coming up?

I may not be an expert, but i think i have known it for a while, the reason for sudden mushrooming of 4-5 star hotels.
    The first realisation that city lacked luxury hotels was made during the year 2011 ICC World Cup (Cricket).
    India-Pakistan match: Chandigarh hotels booked : ICC World Cup 2011: Headlines TodayAs per news paper reports of that time, 5 star hotels of far off places like Shimla, Jalandhar etc were also booked to meet the shortfall.
    During the IPL matches , same was observed.
    CommentQuote
  • so the hotels which started construction at the peak of market in 2011 finished in 2014. What is surprising about it?

it's a 4-5 star hotel which will take 4-5 years to develop and not a baby which can be delivered in 9 months!!!!
    CommentQuote
  • Who said there was anything surprising about it ;)
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Thapa1
    Who said there was anything surprising about it ;)

Well you sounded dramatic about it
    CommentQuote
  • Another Article, a new date, wait goes on...

International flights from Mohali airport soon
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by infosmith
    Another Article, a new date, wait goes on...

International flights from Mohali airport soon

I hear from my political sources that the above Airport might get scuttled ( in most likely hood that may not happen, as it already stands committed ), but a much bigger and swanky Airport may come in Haryana, very close to Chandigarh ( again this is beyond the norms - 2 international Airports so close by ).

Caution - Above is through somebody in Politics ( who was pretty big few years back & was a friend of my Father ( exactly not a friend, but somebody my father used for his work in exchange of money ), but who is unreliable & this might be a wrong information .

........but as everybody knows, everything and anything can happen in this great country of ours:(:bab (63):.
    CommentQuote
  • After AAI spending over 400 crores and BJP trying to go solo in Punjab in near future, it should not happen. If it happens, NRI community from Tricity will be at great loss where in last decade large % of young generation have made an abroad connection by virtue of education, job, marriage.
    CommentQuote