Hei Friends,
I need some inputs from the natives of Ahmedabad & Surat. I'm including Surat here bczz, I din't find a special forum for it.

We'r Gujarati jain's settled in Tamil Nadu for over 3 decades now. Though Chennai is a buzzing city with a lot of economic progress, I some how don't find it livable if I have to measure the quality of life. My father runs a small business and will soon enter his 60's and is physically fit except for certain age specific health issues.

Since i've moved abroad and will not return to live in India for another 4-5yrs. And from a longer term perspective, I'm considering relocating my family to a much more livable city, which is also reasonably well developed. When I thought of this - Gujarat was one of the states that crossed my mind.

So my question is which of these 2 cities are more livable in terms of quality of life, administration & governance, starting a small business, medical infrastructure? Also could you please recommend good livable localities in your selection. Off-course, I do have some distant family here but I believe you guys could be a more knowledgeable.

regards,
vin.
Read more
7 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Dear Vin,

Looking at your requirements, i suggest to go for Ahmedabad first..
    CommentQuote
  • Mr. Vin,

First of all I would like to say you are taking a very good decision.. Being Gujarati Jain, Gujarat will be option to live for you and your family.

Surat is also a good city and developing fast but as per the criteria you mentioned, I think Ahmedabad will be best option for you. Because is more towards to textile and diamond market...

Ahmedabad has got lots of High locality areas so if you can specify your budget, we can able to suggest you best things as per your budget.
    CommentQuote
  • Thank you shrenik13 & Saurabhjs...so far i see Ahmedabad takes the lead, however I will wait for a few more responses before starting my consideration.

My budget would be anywhere btw 50-60L for a 3bhk home...i'm not very crazy about huge townships or too many amenities. For me it is important that the projects are close to the central station (within 5km) and have good green residential neighborhood with nice hospitals & schools. I can wait for 1-2yrs for occupancy, bczz we won't migrate right now...it will take about a year or two for things to settle.

Look fwd to more responses..and thank you once again !
    CommentQuote
  • My Pleasure...

I think, 50-60L is a less budget if you want to live into a good locality in center of the city. It's a budget of 2 BHK flat in Ahmedabad. For 3 BHK, you should have atleast 80-90L to get an average amenities Flat. 3 BHK modern amenities flat will cost 1CR+.
    CommentQuote
  • Hi Vin,

I am most qualified about this. You know why ? I did my schooling and college in Surat. 12 years ago I started a small IT company in Surat, however 2 years into it, I started struggling because of staffing issues. Chances of growth are very low in IT if you can't get good staff. I had to move to Ahmedabad and thankfully I did! :). Today my company has 50+ staff and all at reasonable rates compared to Mumbai/Bangalore.

Other pluses for Ahmedabad are International Airport, Good companies coming in etc. Pluses for Surat are people are very good, in Ahmedabad it is sudden change to show-off attitude which was not the case in Surat.

If I were you, I would choose Ahmedabad again.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by vingori
    Thank you shrenik13 & Saurabhjs...so far i see Ahmedabad takes the lead, however I will wait for a few more responses before starting my consideration.

My budget would be anywhere btw 50-60L for a 3bhk home...i'm not very crazy about huge townships or too many amenities. For me it is important that the projects are close to the central station (within 5km) and have good green residential neighborhood with nice hospitals & schools. I can wait for 1-2yrs for occupancy, bczz we won't migrate right now...it will take about a year or two for things to settle.

Look fwd to more responses..and thank you once again !

Looking at your requirements, I suggest you a property Venus Parkland which is at Vejalpur. 3 BHK(1800 sqft) is roughly 50 lakhs. My parents live there and I am really impressed with the property. The only downside is they have huge supply so if you are buying for appreciation it's a bad choice, but since you need for end use it's a good fit to your budget.

FYI : I am a gujarati jain too...
    CommentQuote
  • Having lived in both Surat and Ahmedabad, let me try to put few facts.

Both Ahmedabad and Surat are excellent place to live, probably some of the best places in India.

Surat is nearer to Mumbai and has no international airport. Ahmedabad has an international airport. You have to travel in a car from Surat to Mumbai to catch your flight, a real hassle if you fly frequently with luggages.

Ahmedabad is more family friendly, education friendly compared to Surat. Both places are very safe, even in night. Surat is a bit more lively than Ahmedabad. It used to be a very delightful experience to have Pav Bhaji at Chowpati(Surat) or Law garden(Amdavad) at mid night.

If you are looking at any IT related job, Ahmedabad has few but Surat has nothing to mention.

You are jain, so non veg food is not an issue. Hard drinks are available at double printed rate, Surat a bit easier to find source. Daman (Free drinks) is nearer to Surat.

real estate is a bit expensive in Surat compared to Amdavad for similar location. Amdavad city is much bigger than Surat and hence you have all types of options in decent areas.

If you ask me, I will settle for Amdavad although I lived in Surat longer than Amdavad. You feel more at home in Amdavad than in Surat. I lived in Chennai too and it will be a hell and heaven difference. I lived in probably one of the best location in Chennai, Beasant Nagar beach, still those place can not be compared with Surat or Amdavad.

If you have specific area, shot it here, I may be able to clarify.
    CommentQuote