I'm totally confused as to which would be the most wisest investment decision with regards to location within mumbai. I am hoping the wise people on this forum can help me arrive at a decision.

I'm looking to invest in a project around 50-60 lakhs (could go up to 65 max), since i'm gonna be out of India for the next couple of years, i plan to pay down the loan in that time. Now the confusion is which area would give me more ROI

1. Invest in thane, around ghobunder rd or somewhere around, dunno if i'll ever use it, but could put it on rent

2. Invest in navi mumbai, specifically kharghar, as friends suggest that it's gonna go up in value substantially in the next few years, otherwise i have no interest in this area

3. Any other areas with potential, pls suggest
Read more
Reply
20 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • usadesi is not my another nick. Thank you :)
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by rawa13
    usadesi is not my another nick. Thank you :)

    Huh ???:bab (38):
    CommentQuote
  • Since you are saying the word investment.. I would advice you to wait until the festival seasons... Prices across mumbai and outskirts are record high.. If the demand does not pick up thro' the festival season.. a correction can be expected.. If there is sales at this price.. maybe you can go ahead and invest in Thane or New Panvel.. in that order
    Buy a fully constructed house to an under construction.. if things go bad in realty.. atleast u will have a home..
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Sharpj
    Since you are saying the word investment.. I would advice you to wait until the festival seasons... Prices across mumbai and outskirts are record high.. If the demand does not pick up thro' the festival season.. a correction can be expected.. If there is sales at this price.. maybe you can go ahead and invest in Thane or New Panvel.. in that order
    Buy a fully constructed house to an under construction.. if things go bad in realty.. atleast u will have a home..


    Thanks for the response, I will be waiting till december, since i'm currently out of the country. I agree about possible falling prices, that is what i'm secretly hoping, for prices to be more affordable by the time i'm back, mumbai RE seems crazy right now, but i had played the waiting game in 2007 and look what happened after 2007, unbelievable. :bab (5):I fear that if i don't invest right now, i may get priced out of mumbai market if prices go up much further.
    I used the word invest, because, the apartment would not be for my personal use, per se, i might put it on rent, but don't have any plans to stay in the flat, as of now atleast. I'm looking to invest for atleast 5-6 years prior to disposing of it, so i think i 'might' be able to ride out any dip in the market ( or so i'm hoping).
    You've put thane ahead in your preference, any specific reason behind that ? Thane hasn't gone up much in comparison to navi mumbai, in this past decade, do you think it might appreciate more than kharghar going forward? This is where my dilemma circles around. What boggles my mind is even though places like kharghar that come under raigad dist, they are still seeing huge demand and unrealistic price tags ( is it because the mumbai in navi mumbai, gives people a false sense of security ? because let's face it it's not mumbai). Some people are predicting skyrocketing price rise in areas like kharghar and panvel in the next 3-4 years, dunno how much to believe though.
    CommentQuote
  • About a month ago, I arrived on this forum with similar introduction and request for help. See my thread on Kharghar.

    Originally Posted by usadesi
    Huh ???:bab (38):
    CommentQuote
  • Prices even if they do not correct.. might not go up significantly. Do not get stressed on the fact that you will get out-priced.. It is the affordability that is fueling demand in Navi Mumbai, Thane..
    This is my view.. Mumbai sure is saturated.. and also I always felt growth follows good infrastructure... The fact that they made the Mumbai Pune highway and improved infrastructure with better roads.. and you see the results .. Yes there will be growth in Navi Mumbai, but I also feel that there will be growth in the Thane side also.. If you would have seen.. the Nashik Mumbai highway is being silently built and that road is fantastic now. The only problem is rail.. There is not much railway growth there, but it will happen.
    Even if the airport is built in Navi Mumbai, if you are able to reach it in a decent time .. it is good.. Also I do not think there will be too much growth around the gujrath side of Thane district as I believe sadly all the Indian governments never collaborate.. especially when we have opposing parties ruling both states.. But who knows.. Indian people are fickle and things can change either in Guj or Mah..
    So finally.. Capital appreciation + average rentals Thane.. Decent rentals+ Av Capital appreciation = Navi Mumbai
    See this is my analysis.. it is a risky call, wait till december.. prices are not going anywhere in Mumbai..


    Originally Posted by usadesi
    Thanks for the response, I will be waiting till december, since i'm currently out of the country. I agree about possible falling prices, that is what i'm secretly hoping, for prices to be more affordable by the time i'm back, mumbai RE seems crazy right now, but i had played the waiting game in 2007 and look what happened after 2007, unbelievable. :bab (5):I fear that if i don't invest right now, i may get priced out of mumbai market if prices go up much further.
    I used the word invest, because, the apartment would not be for my personal use, per se, i might put it on rent, but don't have any plans to stay in the flat, as of now atleast. I'm looking to invest for atleast 5-6 years prior to disposing of it, so i think i 'might' be able to ride out any dip in the market ( or so i'm hoping).
    You've put thane ahead in your preference, any specific reason behind that ? Thane hasn't gone up much in comparison to navi mumbai, in this past decade, do you think it might appreciate more than kharghar going forward? This is where my dilemma circles around. What boggles my mind is even though places like kharghar that come under raigad dist, they are still seeing huge demand and unrealistic price tags ( is it because the mumbai in navi mumbai, gives people a false sense of security ? because let's face it it's not mumbai). Some people are predicting skyrocketing price rise in areas like kharghar and panvel in the next 3-4 years, dunno how much to believe though.
    CommentQuote
  • Orchid Ozone at approx 5000 per sq feet is still a good investment opportunity, with low risk and prospective good rental income
    CommentQuote
  • Buy investment property on kandivali(w) link road, don't go for kharghar at present if you are thinking of investment only. Kharghar is over priced and will remain in similar situation for next 3-5 yrs till the time investment inventory is available.

    Thane is another good option, NOT GHODBUNDER ROAD AREA. But it will take min 10 yrs to give u good return.

    Originally Posted by usadesi
    I'm totally confused as to which would be the most wisest investment decision with regards to location within mumbai. I am hoping the wise people on this forum can help me arrive at a decision.

    I'm looking to invest in a project around 50-60 lakhs (could go up to 65 max), since i'm gonna be out of India for the next couple of years, i plan to pay down the loan in that time. Now the confusion is which area would give me more ROI

    1. Invest in thane, around ghobunder rd or somewhere around, dunno if i'll ever use it, but could put it on rent

    2. Invest in navi mumbai, specifically kharghar, as friends suggest that it's gonna go up in value substantially in the next few years, otherwise i have no interest in this area

    3. Any other areas with potential, pls suggest
    CommentQuote
  • One has noticed that the prices for RE have significantly escalated since Jan 2010. However for ready possession in new buildings in quite a few localities there has been a sizable scope for negotiation. Lets put it this way, were you to seriously buy a ready possession flat, especially in Mulund/Thane and Navi Mumbai Kharghar beyond there have been couple of instances where the deal has been struck at 5/15% less than the declared price. It may not be across the board, however whereever there is inventory there is good chance of a sizable discount.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by sagi7
    One has noticed that the prices for RE have significantly escalated since Jan 2010. However for ready possession in new buildings in quite a few localities there has been a sizable scope for negotiation. Lets put it this way, were you to seriously buy a ready possession flat, especially in Mulund/Thane and Navi Mumbai Kharghar beyond there have been couple of instances where the deal has been struck at 5/15% less than the declared price. It may not be across the board, however whereever there is inventory there is good chance of a sizable discount.

    what is the baisis of your observation Sagi. I have not seen any seller bulge. The ones who are bulging are the ones who had quoted 5-15% more than the prevailing rates.
    Can you cite some instances or rates to further corroborate that there are discounts available.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by sagi7
    One has noticed that the prices for RE have significantly escalated since Jan 2010. However for ready possession in new buildings in quite a few localities there has been a sizable scope for negotiation. Lets put it this way, were you to seriously buy a ready possession flat, especially in Mulund/Thane and Navi Mumbai Kharghar beyond there have been couple of instances where the deal has been struck at 5/15% less than the declared price. It may not be across the board, however whereever there is inventory there is good chance of a sizable discount.


    Since I work closely with some top developers, I know that you will get a discount only if the developer requires money, or else normally the good builders dont offer any discount (just imagine if i buy first without any discount, and you get a discount after a few months, then I would be at his office arguing). These also happen in high priced apartments, so normally in Thane etc the top developers will not offer any discount. I am talking about top developers only coz we are talking about investment. I would suggest that you invest only with good developers for various reasons.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by usadesi
    I'm totally confused as to which would be the most wisest investment decision with regards to location within mumbai. I am hoping the wise people on this forum can help me arrive at a decision.

    I'm looking to invest in a project around 50-60 lakhs (could go up to 65 max), since i'm gonna be out of India for the next couple of years, i plan to pay down the loan in that time. Now the confusion is which area would give me more ROI

    1. Invest in thane, around ghobunder rd or somewhere around, dunno if i'll ever use it, but could put it on rent

    2. Invest in navi mumbai, specifically kharghar, as friends suggest that it's gonna go up in value substantially in the next few years, otherwise i have no interest in this area

    3. Any other areas with potential, pls suggest


    If you are ok with the idea of flipping properties then I can suggest you properties in Goregaon West and Andheri West near lokhandwala. Flipping will be essential since you will not get a one BHK in these areas at your budget however a flip will give you high capital gains in a short while.

    Other options if you want to register the properties in your name is Thane - some good options are available there, Kandivali Charkop area, Dahisar.
    CommentQuote
  • The Vashi Infotech Park, Haware Builders is one of them.
    CommentQuote
  • Best place in mumbai to invest 50-60 Lakhs

    Dear all,

    Im also planning to buy a flat in ares like Andheri (W), Jogeshawri (W), Malad (W), etc. I have a budget of Rs 50 to 60 Lakhs.

    Can somebody help me to decide where to invest prefebally in a flat in the above mentioned suburbs.

    Some of good projects are as below

    Rihan Projects in Jogeshwari (W)
    Tower in Yari Rd., Andheri (W)
    Malvani, Malad (W)

    Thank you for your suggestions
    Akazi
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by highrisemumbai
    If you are ok with the idea of flipping properties then I can suggest you properties in Goregaon West and Andheri West near lokhandwala. Flipping will be essential since you will not get a one BHK in these areas at your budget however a flip will give you high capital gains in a short while.

    Other options if you want to register the properties in your name is Thane - some good options are available there, Kandivali Charkop area, Dahisar.


    What do you mean by flipping properties ? Firstly do you think I'll be able to afford something in Andheri-goregaon west within the price range ?
    CommentQuote