Collapse

Thane Vs Mumbai Suburbs

Last updated: December 8 2010
18 | Posts
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Thane Vs Mumbai Suburbs

If I drive car from Lower Parel after office, I reach in Ghodbunder Rd via eastern express highway earlier than my friend who stays in Four Bunglows

Comment

Originally posted by wealthcreator View Post
      If I drive car from Lower Parel after office, I reach in Ghodbunder Rd via eastern express highway earlier than my friend who stays in Four Bunglows
      the 2 express highways in mumbai are the only 2 roads in mumbai who do not have traffic.

even traveling from sakinaka to 4 bunglows, which is technically andheri area takes 1 hr.

so any 2 end points on either highways is the fastest way to travel

Comment

Originally posted by mamba View Post
        one key issue of you are not marathi is that lot of me marathi kind of crowd in Thane and its defintaely not cosmo like the suburbs or town , Would be tough for non-marathi to live there.I feel Vashi is better that way.
        Just to add here, thane is more like marathi immigrants from core mumbai.
        The entire marathi middle class who had small houses or rented houses in core mumbai, sold and settled in thane for bigger homes or homes they could own. This happened mostly during 1980s and 1990s

Naturally the demographic is mostly of elderly people. But yes things are changing in last 5 to 7 years. ghodbunder road area is very vibrant and cosmo. Also it is less polluted than mumbai.

Hope this will help in decision making

Comment

How is load shedding in different areas of Thane like GB Road, Kolshet Road, Vasant Vihar, Majiwada etc? Also is water supply well-available?

Comment

Originally posted by Manoos View Post
            Just to add here, thane is more like marathi immigrants from core mumbai.
            The entire marathi middle class who had small houses or rented houses in core mumbai, sold and settled in thane for bigger homes or homes they could own. This happened mostly during 1980s and 1990s

Naturally the demographic is mostly of elderly people. But yes things are changing in last 5 to 7 years. ghodbunder road area is very vibrant and cosmo. Also it is less polluted than mumbai.

Hope this will help in decision making
            Thw ord immigrants is sometimes grossly misunderstood. Thane always had mostly marathi population. Over a period of time more peopel settled from various parts of maharashtra and some moved from within Mumbai.

The way MNS has used the word migrants, it looks like we are unsettled within the country.

These things apart, Thane is fast integrating into Mumbai. However Thane is very big so till until the government keeps thinking of ring-rail, make sure you check the commute time as withing Thane you can spend 1 hour getting to the station.
            Last edited by wadia; September 20 2010, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Punit22
              CR has agreed to upgrade Thane railway station to wolrd class and the survey/revised development map will be completed in one year time, and actual work is likely to be commenced by 2011 end, this may improve the commuting and other facilites for thane resident
              The railway department is as such rubbish. They could not even evict the caterers to get good food on platform. In the name of redevelopment (also happening at dadar, cst, borivli, ..), they add 1 platform, add waiting room, 2 floors of station facilities, bigger ticketing office and maybe escalators (the best part). The basic cleanliness or toilets part remains unaffcted.

For past 10 years I have been hearing of ring railway in Thane but TMC keeps giving false promises in absence of funds:
              http://www.msrdc.org/Projects/Mrts_thane.aspx

The only good part in terms of infrastructure has been the bus services. The only way to make ghodbunder road accessible will be to run a metro over eastern express, through ghodbunder road off to western express. This will not need much resettlement and will be easier to implement. As opposed to this, the mmrda want to build from charkop to mankhurd, when the people over there dont want it (overground).
              Last edited by wadia; September 20 2010, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Punit22
                Mr.Wadia, Agree...you comments on TMC, but mamta baneerjee in railway budget had announced Thane station to be of world class, and taking this forward i think Mr.Sanjeev Naik and other Shiv Sena leaders had approched central railway as per hindustan times news paper of last week , accordingly survey has started and is expected to be completed within a year time or so, and this is been developed by railways and not tmc, some international design is been worked upon, i hope it turns out to be like one of the navi mumbai's kind of railway station....lets be+, rates are on upward trend in thane city
                Thane is a mini city on its own. Kalyan and dombivali may develop like Thane suburbs. The east west fusion where hirco has got land on ghodbunder road (not hiranandani estates, but beyong parsvnath) is also exciting. The whole patch is being encroached by byukder and they will soon reach mira road.

Comment

Originally posted by wadia View Post
                  Thane is a mini city on its own. Kalyan and dombivali may develop like Thane suburbs. The east west fusion where hirco has got land on ghodbunder road (not hiranandani estates, but beyong parsvnath) is also exciting. The whole patch is being encroached by byukder and they will soon reach mira road.
                  I agree to it wadia, Thane is a mini city on its own and has seen a lot of change in the past few years. Now with demand for real estate, Thane has been one of the hot spots for residential purposes.

Comment

Thane is overrated and way too expensive

Thane used to be a good city to live in few years back but no longer is because

1. Commuting from all the commercial locations in Mumbai to Thane is a nightmare.

2. Except for the Thane Belapur road (which is very narrow at kalwa and is used mostly by trucks), you want to go anywhere, you need to pay huge toll!

3. Thane has grown too fast and has many problems including not having its own dumping ground. Hence a city that was once awarded for being cleanest is one of the dirtiest (Do not fall for the image you get on the highway passing through Thane)

4. Most projects in Thane are on GB road or far off places which take a long time to reach

5. Most projects in Thane are huge complexes where the carpet area to charged area is very low. Amenities are used to attract buyers but these are not sufficient for the number of buildings in the complex and hence there are major problems of maintenance and fights among residents.

6. There is water problem even in most reputed complexes of THane on GB road

7. Many projects are next to open nullahs and not fit for residing (surely not after paying the huge price) - these include Vasant Lawns, Lodha Luxuria, Tarangan etc.

Now you are likely to say but this is true about many other places in Mumbai (except the commute perhaps). Yes, it is probably true but it is useful to know the reality and then make an informed choice instead of falling for the marketing gimmics of builders.

AJ

Comment

Tags: Thane
                    Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                    Working...
                    X