It seems prices has started falling in Mumbai, many builders have started quoting less than what is being advertised, also many flats owners have reduced their prices to sell their flats as soon as possible before the price drops more, any first hand input welcome...:D
Read more
432 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Originally Posted by MANOJa
    So the moral of the story is ,buy, as soon as u can ( with proper analysis, due discretion viz. the builder, price , location & so many other factors) .Do not wait for the prices to go down, they never might. Excessive waiting, might lead to the property being out of yr. bounds financially.

In any buying decision price is the most important factor. So, i do not see any prudence in your advice. Rather it is better to live in rented house than go for a pigeon hole for some insane price. In this game the winner is who has patience.
    As per Razar's saying, he would not have been able to purchase at present price. Yes Mr. Razar most of the person in mumbai can afford this price and this the biggest reason why the price will fall.

The inventory is really big in mumbai if you add up the investor's flat along with the unsold flats by builders. If you follow the new paper advertisement than you will find 90% of the ad are running for last four years.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by tubaibabu
    In any buying decision price is the most important factor. So, i do not see any prudence in your advice. Rather it is better to live in rented house than go for a pigeon hole for some insane price. In this game the winner is who has patience.
    As per Razar's saying, he would not have been able to purchase at present price. Yes Mr. Razar most of the person in mumbai can afford this price and this the biggest reason why the price will fall.

The inventory is really big in mumbai if you add up the investor's flat along with the unsold flats by builders. If you follow the new paper advertisement than you will find 90% of the ad are running for last four years.

.....this way u could end up living in a rented house for life (maybe thats not bad, after all , u would end up saving a big booty)
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by MANOJa
    .....this way u could end up living in a rented house for life (maybe thats not bad, after all , u would end up saving a big booty)

You wouldn't be able to reverse mortgage to pay your whisky bill
    :bab (4):
    CommentQuote
  • I think prices are too high and will come down even in Mumbai.. These prices are not sustainable in the long run and does not make economic sense.
    Look at commercial prices. The market is really slowed down and no one is talking about it.
    What is difficult to predict is when.. It can take 3-4 years and who knows what will happen with the world economy. Eurozone is wobbly, US is not stable.

Over leveraging in this market is a big risk and I will not buy in this market.. whether it is for self or for others...

Remember 2007.. oil reached 150 $ to a barrel.. Its been 3 years since then, it has not come close to the 100 figure.. In a bull market everything seems possible and people were predicting so much shortage in natural resources that it will cross 200.. a barrel Well I am in the same world and the same resource.. and the economies of India and china that were blamed for the demand and the rise and doing okay.. so they still would have that demand..

I know the current realty prices are high and not justifiable but we all feel that it will keep rising and we are fools to be left out later..
    but how much is it sustainable is the question and when it falls it will remain depressed for a while

Originally Posted by jadhav_ravi
    You wouldn't be able to reverse mortgage to pay your whisky bill
    :bab (4):
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Sharpj
    I think prices are too high and will come down even in Mumbai.. These prices are not sustainable in the long run and does not make economic sense.
    Look at commercial prices. The market is really slowed down and no one is talking about it.
    What is difficult to predict is when.. It can take 3-4 years and who knows what will happen with the world economy. Eurozone is wobbly, US is not stable.

Over leveraging in this market is a big risk and I will not buy in this market.. whether it is for self or for others...

Remember 2007.. oil reached 150 $ to a barrel.. Its been 3 years since then, it has not come close to the 100 figure.. In a bull market everything seems possible and people were predicting so much shortage in natural resources that it will cross 200.. a barrel Well I am in the same world and the same resource.. and the economies of India and china that were blamed for the demand and the rise and doing okay.. so they still would have that demand..

I know the current realty prices are high and not justifiable but we all feel that it will keep rising and we are fools to be left out later..
    but how much is it sustainable is the question and when it falls it will remain depressed for a while

Why do you think it is unaffordable?

10 years ago everyone thought South Mumbai was unaffordable. It was unaffordable for middle class. But it sustained and is still at all time highs.

10 years later, south Mumbai has engulfed suburbs till Dahisar and Mulund. Like South Mumbai 10 years ago, this area is now unaffordable, only few privileged are buying here and it is sustaining.

Current middle class buys in remote suburbs (virar, kharghar, panvel, dombivali, kalyan). So these are the new suburbs. 30L is sustainable for a home loan seeker. 30K as EMI sounds affordable to many of the middle class of today, as I see these guys shopping jackets for 2K, cell s for 15K, cameras for 10K, cars for 5L, .... If School fees are Rs 5K per child, don't you expect to pay 30K for home loan?

When you compare prices to New York or London, you also have to take into account the size of the city.
    Mumbai has a population of 2 crores. There are lakhs of NRIs from Mumbai. With OCI and PIO categories, India has opened flood gates to allow millions of foreigners to buy into Mumbai Real Estate. Mumbai has shortage of land.

In such a case, the whole of Mumbai has turned into what is Central New York or Central London. Rates in Central New York and Central London are in excess of 4C, so is the case for Mumbai.

The next argument you will raise will be, how is Mumbai comparable to New York, Shanghai, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore or London.

Well it is not comparable in terms of infrastructure but given the globalization and the income disparity in India, it is not difficult to have lakhs of families having comparable income to people in these developed cities.

Look at many Indian universities in cities, half of the crowd goes to US for MS. All these guys want a flat in India, because none want to settle in US.

Look at the stock exchange. If it has risen 500% in last 10 years, where will the money go? Does a stock market investor, live under share certificates: No, he wants the best place to live.

Diamond bourse, Insurance, Banking, airlines, IT, bollywood, small industry, TV industry, ... the list is endless. If you go out to look for crorepatis in Mumbai, you will be shocked. I find it difficult to save 10K a month but trust me on this forum I have met 10s of people with budgets of 1-2C. Some are NRIs (Dubai, UK, US, Bahrain, Saudi, even Australia). One NRI guy was in his late 50s, he says he is putting all his savings to buy a flat, and he had 5C which he wanted to spend. Then there are high-end Indian: one doctor with good practice, one theatre professional and one guy (I donno his buisness) but he bought 3 flat in suburbs. Lastly there are many onsite IT guys, who have been onsite for 5 years, have saved 20-30L and want to buy a flat. They get annoyed when I tell them that after 5 years of hell-like-life and prudent savings they can only afford Virar.

Everyone wants the best of the housing, and as housing market has the personal touch, the builder charges what you can pay. If the other guy wants the flat and can pay 5C, then 5C is the price. The housing price is very corelated to income. It is not a commodity. The price is always a premius, else everyone will have a flat with ease.

So if middle class can take 30L loans, the remote suburbs will have flats at 30L.

If upper middle class can pay 1C, and there are 30K flats in suburbs, the suburbs will have 1C as price.

If there are 10K flats in south mubai, then they will be price upwards of 4C as there are bound to be 10K people in a poulation of 2C who want to buy a flat and can pay 4C.

Even if I am wrong with the calculations, I am definitely not grossly wrong. So even if there is correction, do not expect it to be more than 10-15% as there are too many people waiting to jump in and push the prices back up.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by jadhav_ravi

Even if I am wrong with the calculations, I am definitely not grossly wrong. So even if there is correction, do not expect it to be more than 10-15% as there are too many people waiting to jump in and push the prices back up.

This is my personal opinion too. I feel a 5-10% correction will see people buying homes again.

Sad but true :bab (38):
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by korchha
    This is my personal opinion too. I feel a 5-10% correction will see people buying homes again.

Sad but true :bab (38):

So as earlier said. Is it worth waiting for 5-10% which may or may not happen.
    If it is for personal consumption, buy it now.
    If it is for investing, wait for the next recession.
    CommentQuote
  • Hi,
    Regarding 1C for upper middle class, i hardly find 1C flats, mostly it is 1.5-2 C for 2bhk now

There have been lot of negative effect on the end user crowd
    1.Rising interest rates
    2. Dubai and Middle east NRIs in trouble.
    3.US / Europe also uncertain
    4.Pay hikes / expectation in and finance sector is not as roobust as earlier.
    This has hit prices in places which target these ppl.
    But in Mumbai there are many Business ppl /fil /airlines /banking / company top executives with income 30L+
    Even they would find these rates high but key thing is that everyone expects rates to slowly move up and needs a house so buys under pressure.

Regarding a 10% correction, I think that 10% correction would happen just by itself and in fact has already happened for some constructions

But for heavy correction it is necessary that stock market drops by 40-50% and stys there for 8-10 months. They all logic goes out of window and there woulb be heavy sales. Of course, at that time, end user would also not have the guts to buy and bank wont give loan too.
    This kind of correction would be driven by gora FIIs(if it happens) and all logic would go out of window..It may happen due to problem somehwehere else except India and all analyst types would try to find reasons..
    CommentQuote
  • Add to the woes. Forget 10% correction, expect a 10% imminent rise.
    The SC has banned the sales of open area. The builder will have to recover the total cost of the project from flat sales. So he will charge 10% more. Maybe there wont be much sales, but till the builders have money in their deep pockets they will not lower the price.
    CommentQuote
  • Even now,builder sells stilts as garage . Also they take black money esp Lodha ..4L in cash. So it would never be implemented properly ..Lot of lays..but you know how tough for muslims to get flats ..
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by mamba
    Even now,builder sells stilts as garage . Also they take black money esp Lodha ..4L in cash. So it would never be implemented properly ..Lot of lays..but you know how tough for muslims to get flats ..

But they have an excuse now: Supereme court ne bola, isliye bhaav bada hai! :bab (4):
    B***** Builders
    CommentQuote
  • Of course it is not affordable.. South Mumbai was not affordable then and not now.. Andheri to Borivali was possible, but that is also getting out of reach.. I think even New Mumbai is terribly over priced..

What I am saying is.. this is actually a bubble.. builder borrows and buys land at exorbitant price and sells over priced houses that are bought by people by again taking a loan.. If any one defaults banks run the risk because they own a collateral and that is something which is probably more than its value..

I am not saying there will be a crash.. neither am I saying it is imminent in the near future, but I seriously have doubts on the pricing.. we will price ourselves out.. probably already have..

Look at Dubai man.. Can you ever believe that RE can crash there with all the arabs having so much money.. but it did dip din't it..

Why do you think it is unaffordable?

10 years ago everyone thought South Mumbai was unaffordable. It was unaffordable for middle class. But it sustained and is still at all time highs.

10 years later, south Mumbai has engulfed suburbs till Dahisar and Mulund. Like South Mumbai 10 years ago, this area is now unaffordable, only few privileged are buying here and it is sustaining.

Current middle class buys in remote suburbs (virar, kharghar, panvel, dombivali, kalyan). So these are the new suburbs. 30L is sustainable for a home loan seeker. 30K as EMI sounds affordable to many of the middle class of today, as I see these guys shopping jackets for 2K, cell s for 15K, cameras for 10K, cars for 5L, .... If School fees are Rs 5K per child, don't you expect to pay 30K for home loan?

When you compare prices to New York or London, you also have to take into account the size of the city.
    Mumbai has a population of 2 crores. There are lakhs of NRIs from Mumbai. With OCI and PIO categories, India has opened flood gates to allow millions of foreigners to buy into Mumbai Real Estate. Mumbai has shortage of land.

In such a case, the whole of Mumbai has turned into what is Central New York or Central London. Rates in Central New York and Central London are in excess of 4C, so is the case for Mumbai.

The next argument you will raise will be, how is Mumbai comparable to New York, Shanghai, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore or London.

Well it is not comparable in terms of infrastructure but given the globalization and the income disparity in India, it is not difficult to have lakhs of families having comparable income to people in these developed cities.

Look at many Indian universities in cities, half of the crowd goes to US for MS. All these guys want a flat in India, because none want to settle in US.

Look at the stock exchange. If it has risen 500% in last 10 years, where will the money go? Does a stock market investor, live under share certificates: No, he wants the best place to live.

Diamond bourse, Insurance, Banking, airlines, IT, bollywood, small industry, TV industry, ... the list is endless. If you go out to look for crorepatis in Mumbai, you will be shocked. I find it difficult to save 10K a month but trust me on this forum I have met 10s of people with budgets of 1-2C. Some are NRIs (Dubai, UK, US, Bahrain, Saudi, even Australia). One NRI guy was in his late 50s, he says he is putting all his savings to buy a flat, and he had 5C which he wanted to spend. Then there are high-end Indian: one doctor with good practice, one theatre professional and one guy (I donno his buisness) but he bought 3 flat in suburbs. Lastly there are many onsite IT guys, who have been onsite for 5 years, have saved 20-30L and want to buy a flat. They get annoyed when I tell them that after 5 years of hell-like-life and prudent savings they can only afford Virar.

Everyone wants the best of the housing, and as housing market has the personal touch, the builder charges what you can pay. If the other guy wants the flat and can pay 5C, then 5C is the price. The housing price is very corelated to income. It is not a commodity. The price is always a premius, else everyone will have a flat with ease.

So if middle class can take 30L loans, the remote suburbs will have flats at 30L.

If upper middle class can pay 1C, and there are 30K flats in suburbs, the suburbs will have 1C as price.

If there are 10K flats in south mubai, then they will be price upwards of 4C as there are bound to be 10K people in a poulation of 2C who want to buy a flat and can pay 4C.

CommentQuote
    Of course it is not affordable.. South Mumbai was not affordable then and not now.. Andheri to Borivali was possible, but that is also getting out of reach.. I think even New Mumbai is terribly over priced..

What I am saying is.. this is actually a bubble.. builder borrows and buys land at exorbitant price and sells over priced houses that are bought by people by again taking a loan.. If any one defaults banks run the risk because they own a collateral and that is something which is probably more than its value..

I am not saying there will be a crash.. neither am I saying it is imminent in the near future, but I seriously have doubts on the pricing.. we will price ourselves out.. probably already have..

Look at Dubai man.. Can you ever believe that RE can crash there with all the arabs having so much money.. but it did dip din't it..

Dubai crashed because there was no demand. Arabs are handfuls, rest are expatriates who do not have long term plan. In Mumbai, people have janam-janmantar plans.

After few years you will see no projects being launched in whole of South Mumbai & Suburbs, so prices will stay as they are. Only new projects will be in remote suburbs. Ask anybody in Mumbai and nobody wants to sell. They live on income Rs 3000 per month but want to live in South Mumbai in their 2C flats. If they sell then they can get 30K per month for the rest of their life.

So all new developments will be in remote suburbs. As remote suburbs are priced similar to Pune/Bangalore/NCR I do not think that the price is not competitive. 30L is reasonable give today's salaries. What people need to do is change their perspective. They have to accept the fact that homes are generally bought on a 20 year home loan. In Honk Kong people inherit home loans (50 years). If people accept the fact that they have to take home loans of 20 years (as in US, UK, Japan, Hong Kong, Australia) then the prices will all sound afforable to you.

Look at the prices from EMI perspective. EMIs of 30-50K I think are afoordable to many of the IT, Finance, Airlines, Entertainment, Telecom, Retail professional couples.
    CommentQuote
  • People are not selling because of greed brother..
    I was looking for a 1 BHK in chembur.. Budget was 25 to 30 L.. yes nothing was available... I was shown a poorly maintained apartment in a 15 year old building and the price was 54 lakhs (negotiable) which was way beyond my budget and though I had no intention to buy that.. Within a week however the seller raised price to some 70 lakhs because in the street a building had gone for re development and the broker was selling me saying it is still a great deal and if it goes for redevelopment I will get a 2 BHK and in the current rate of 12 to 13 K psf.. it would be 1.2 crores.. this is a bubble .. nothing changed here but price just went up in 2 weeks..
    Distant suburbs is fine if my work is in distant suburbs.. whats the point to life if I travel and work for 12 - 14 hours a day.. no NRI would do that..

If it is always going to be so high.. Mumbai will never get out of the slums.. middle class is not just IT, Bankers, and media.. there are plenty more.. the vast numbers that hang out of the second class local trains..

Dubai crashed because there was no demand. Arabs are handfuls, rest are expatriates who do not have long term plan. In Mumbai, people have janam-janmantar plans.

After few years you will see no projects being launched in whole of South Mumbai & Suburbs, so prices will stay as they are. Only new projects will be in remote suburbs. Ask anybody in Mumbai and nobody wants to sell. They live on income Rs 3000 per month but want to live in South Mumbai in their 2C flats. If they sell then they can get 30K per month for the rest of their life.

So all new developments will be in remote suburbs. As remote suburbs are priced similar to Pune/Bangalore/NCR I do not think that the price is not competitive. 30L is reasonable give today's salaries. What people need to do is change their perspective. They have to accept the fact that homes are generally bought on a 20 year home loan. In Honk Kong people inherit home loans (50 years). If people accept the fact that they have to take home loans of 20 years (as in US, UK, Japan, Hong Kong, Australia) then the prices will all sound afforable to you.

Look at the prices from EMI perspective. EMIs of 30-50K I think are afoordable to many of the IT, Finance, Airlines, Entertainment, Telecom, Retail professional couples.
    CommentQuote
    People are not selling because of greed brother..
    I was looking for a 1 BHK in chembur.. Budget was 25 to 30 L.. yes nothing was available... I was shown a poorly maintained apartment in a 15 year old building and the price was 54 lakhs (negotiable) which was way beyond my budget and though I had no intention to buy that.. Within a week however the seller raised price to some 70 lakhs because in the street a building had gone for re development and the broker was selling me saying it is still a great deal and if it goes for redevelopment I will get a 2 BHK and in the current rate of 12 to 13 K psf.. it would be 1.2 crores.. this is a bubble .. nothing changed here but price just went up in 2 weeks..
    Distant suburbs is fine if my work is in distant suburbs.. whats the point to life if I travel and work for 12 - 14 hours a day.. no NRI would do that..

If it is always going to be so high.. Mumbai will never get out of the slums.. middle class is not just IT, Bankers, and media.. there are plenty more.. the vast numbers that hang out of the second class local trains..

The business districs don't move easily. Even after 500 years, South Mumbai is the poshest.

Maybe Mumbai will be the next Tokyo or Hong Kong or Singapore, you never know :bab (39):. It is just that it is priced in too early.
    CommentQuote