Last updated: September 20 2010
18 | Posts
3326 | Views
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused by the phrase quotloadingquot

Dear members

when I reads the posts on this forum , the phrase "loading" pops up frequently but I get pretty confused by how the number is actually defined and more importanly how does the real estate indutry use in their discussion with buyers.

For example

a. Carpet area is said to include 50% of balcony. Is that an individual builder thing or an industry practise or just a load of bull?

b. A simple reading of the phrase loading means something ON TOP of the carpet area. So when a builder says 1250 sq ft saleable area with loading of 25%, I assumed the carpet area to be 1000 sq ft ( 1000 + 25% loading = 1250). But I get the feeling that the entire industy does 25% * 1250 = 312.5 sq ft which means a carpet area of 937.5 sq ft. I am less concerned (for now) with the morality issue and more of atleast being on the same wavelength as the builder.

Without getting some clarity here, I feel I will be doomed to live the "Buyers are from Mars and Builders are from Venus" experience

Thanks again for all your help

SSS
    a. S

Re : Confused by the phrase quotloadingquot

My experience so far:

1. Builders never tell carpet upfront. When asked, they quote carpet as as "less xx%". So in my experience they calculate carpet after deducting loading and not calculate loading on top of carpet. If saleable is 1250 and 33% is loading, 1250*67% is the carpet.

2. There is no norm as balcony or flower-bed to be considered as 50% carpet. I've seen the terraces ranging from 25% to 100% carpet, depending on size of terrace and the fact whether it's open or covered or partially covered. Also how small or big the builder is and what is the demand for the project.

3. 90% of the just-completed and under-construction flats I've seen take 100% balcony, dry area, flower-beds in carpet. So, when a builder says 1250 saleable, less 33% loading, it means 33% has nothing to do with your flat. The remaining 67%, termed as carpet, includes 100% of balcony, terrace, flower-bed, dry area. I argued with a few and they say that balcony is 100% carpet because it's covered. What the heck???

4. The effective carpet area (removing balcony, terraces etc) is not more than 50-55% in 90% of the new projects, including big builders.

While researching, I've been getting this feeling that I'm being cheated left-and-right. The builders give me a feel, "Boss, this is it. Now it's up to you whether you want to take it or leave it." I've been buying various stuff at different price ranges but the experience was never this frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by anupyash View Post
      My experience so far:

1. Builders never tell carpet upfront. When asked, they quote carpet as as "less xx%". So in my experience they calculate carpet after deducting loading and not calculate loading on top of carpet. If saleable is 1250 and 33% is loading, 1250*67% is the carpet.

2. There is no norm as balcony or flower-bed to be considered as 50% carpet. I've seen the terraces ranging from 25% to 100% carpet, depending on size of terrace and the fact whether it's open or covered or partially covered. Also how small or big the builder is and what is the demand for the project.

3. 90% of the just-completed and under-construction flats I've seen take 100% balcony, dry area, flower-beds in carpet. So, when a builder says 1250 saleable, less 33% loading, it means 33% has nothing to do with your flat. The remaining 67%, termed as carpet, includes 100% of balcony, terrace, flower-bed, dry area. I argued with a few and they say that balcony is 100% carpet because it's covered. What the heck???

4. The effective carpet area (removing balcony, terraces etc) is not more than 50-55% in 90% of the new projects, including big builders.

While researching, I've been getting this feeling that I'm being cheated left-and-right. The builders give me a feel, "Boss, this is it. Now it's up to you whether you want to take it or leave it." I've been buying various stuff at different price ranges but the experience was never this frustrating.
      Excellent reply.

I have had the same experiences myself. I have noticed that built-up and carpet area are totally random numbers thrown around by the builders/brokers. I have seen flats that are supposed to be 1200 sq. ft. and they did not seem any different in size to a 1000 sq. ft. flat I had seen before. I also had an experience with a flat by an extremely reputed builder in Andheri (W) - the broker/builder was selling based on 1300 sq.ft. built-up and the papers said 795 sq.ft. carpet. I'm sure if I took a tape and measured the rooms of the house the final area would be lesser.

After 6 months of frustration, I finally got into a mindset where I never asked the brokers/builders about the area or loading or the rate per sq.ft. I just went and saw every flat first hand and saw the "available" area for myself and then quoted a lump sum amount for the house. Fighting/bargaining about carpet/built-up/loading is just futile.

For what its worth - the biggest house I saw in my 7 months of searching was a 25 year old 2bhk which was advertised as a 900 sq.ft. flat. It was bigger than all the new construction 3bhk flats I had seen

Comment

Loading puts so much load on mind that it become confused...
        Originally posted by korchha View Post
        Excellent reply.

I have had the same experiences myself. I have noticed that built-up and carpet area are totally random numbers thrown around by the builders/brokers. I have seen flats that are supposed to be 1200 sq. ft. and they did not seem any different in size to a 1000 sq. ft. flat I had seen before. I also had an experience with a flat by an extremely reputed builder in Andheri (W) - the broker/builder was selling based on 1300 sq.ft. built-up and the papers said 795 sq.ft. carpet. I'm sure if I took a tape and measured the rooms of the house the final area would be lesser.

After 6 months of frustration, I finally got into a mindset where I never asked the brokers/builders about the area or loading or the rate per sq.ft. I just went and saw every flat first hand and saw the "available" area for myself and then quoted a lump sum amount for the house. Fighting/bargaining about carpet/built-up/loading is just futile.

For what its worth - the biggest house I saw in my 7 months of searching was a 25 year old 2bhk which was advertised as a 900 sq.ft. flat. It was bigger than all the new construction 3bhk flats I had seen

Comment

I fail to understand how ppl are getting cheated by the carpet /built up thing..
          unless length /breadth of rooms are smaller than that shown in plan.
          If a person is invetsing so much , its going to take 10 minutes for you to calculate the carpet area of flat . You can use this to analyse between different options .
          Anyways its no sense to compare flats by area/sqf as there are many things ..view /location etc whicha re unique to each flat.

the is just the same as washing powder companies reducing the weight of packets.
          If a buyer is spending one crore he should spent at least 20 hrs researching each option.. IF one has so much money and not enough time to spend on searching / breaking ones head..You deserve to be cheated by builder..

Comment

Originally posted by mamba View Post
            I fail to understand how ppl are getting cheated by the carpet /built up thing..
            unless length /breadth of rooms are smaller than that shown in plan.
            I feel cheated because I'm thrown a random number in the name of *saleable area* and I'm charged on the basis of that. When I ask the builder for carpet area, it's again a baseless random number. There is a different terminology used by every builder. It's like "My hour has 55 minutes."

Had builders asked me to pay a lump-sum amount without telling me area non-sense, I was comfortable.

Originally posted by mamba View Post
            If a buyer is spending one crore he should spent at least 20 hrs researching each option.. IF one has so much money and not enough time to spend on searching / breaking ones head..You deserve to be cheated by builder..
            I go to Big Bazaar and buy my monthly quota of stuff, 200 items, pay the bill and come back home to find out that I've been overly charged. You are suggesting me not to feel cheated as it was my responsibility to check everything? Spending one rupee or one crore is pointless, there are moral grounds for all of us, including builders. It should not be that only ultra-smart people should go out to buy houses. I should take a measurement-tape, a lawyer, an engineer a negotiator along while I go out to buy a flat. Bravo, we are in a great marketplace!

Comment

Its caveot emptor(Buyer beware)

See..you are comfortable with a lump sum ..so you just consider that the builder is selling you something on a lump sum basis (just forget about the carpaeta rea nonsense and consider the view, availability of school , builder notoreity(not rep..) and use this to make the decision rather than (your 55 min ) area nonsense.

Its the same with washing powder..you see henko , ariel , surf etc / (different weights)

Unfortunately in metros..trust is at a premium ( as ravi had said in mumbai for sayana there is 10 ded sayanas) and there are no moral grounds, as today there is hopeless level of moral corruption in almost everything which starts from huge donation for kids school.

Regarding measurement-tape, a lawyer, an engineer , negotiator thats what this forum is about ..to help you here . I guess we have many lawyers /negotiators and engineers in the forum.. but you would need to buy your own measuring tape.

But I guess at least we can start collecting data on usable area ( i mean living room size , bathrooms size , kitchen size, bedroom, balcony size size). If one can put these 5 hard parameters and the 5-10 softish parameters ( school , malls , area ) and modify the excel sheet which we maintain in google spreadsheets to incorporate this
              I have seen cases where sample flat is different in size / quality of fittings (that too with some big names) and the plans provided by builder for underconstruction flat

And...do remember to tally your bills at big bazaar. Your father(older generation) would have definately done that at kirana shop..but we show tashan ..put this , that ..and get final bill and just pay without checking..

If you fall into the builders trap of good / bad/ugly area ..Its meaningless. Most are totally unprofessional and its a gone case. We have to look at methods to counter them.
              Last edited September 19 2010, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Wasn't there some ruling that agreements need to be done only in carpet area. Every once a while you read about all these notification in the newspaper but nothing seems to get implemented. Probably another opportunity for the bureaucrats to make money..

I have heard from a builder that he has to provide free flats to officials from fire brigade, BMC, AAI .. to get all the approvals..

Its a mad world..

Comment

Originally posted by Sharpj View Post
                  Wasn't there some ruling that agreements need to be done only in carpet area. Every once a while you read about all these notification in the newspaper but nothing seems to get implemented. Probably another opportunity for the bureaucrats to make money..

I have heard from a builder that he has to provide free flats to officials from fire brigade, BMC, AAI .. to get all the approvals..

Its a mad world..
                  You are right, that is the reason why big builders started showing advertisements 2BHK at XX lacs. Oberoi sells at carpet value but other than him, everyone else just avoids area in their advertisements.
                  Super built up is not necessarily a bad thing.

In theory super built has no bad effect than to make the claculation difficult. If you ask for carpet rate price the builder will just do the calculation and give you another quote. It is the price for the flat rather than "per sqaure feet" that matters, and one should just compare flats based on the floor plan, amenities, location and overall price.

Comment

Congratulations to senior member

500 posts and senior membership to wadia..

Originally posted by wadia View Post
                    You are right, that is the reason why big builders started showing advertisements 2BHK at XX lacs. Oberoi sells at carpet value but other than him, everyone else just avoids area in their advertisements.
                    Super built up is not necessarily a bad thing.

In theory super built has no bad effect than to make the claculation difficult. If you ask for carpet rate price the builder will just do the calculation and give you another quote. It is the price for the flat rather than "per sqaure feet" that matters, and one should just compare flats based on the floor plan, amenities, location and overall price.

Comment

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                    Working...
                    X