Guys, I am really confused between these two for flat purchase. Both are good quality projects but while one is slightly economical, the other offers earlier possession. Can someone provide deeper insight for me to make this decision? I have given up on the hope of price correction in Mumbai.
Read more
28 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Kalpataru looks good as they have possession in July and December. When is the possession for Mahindra ? Also what are the rates quoted by them?
    CommentQuote
  • Rates quoted are 9250/- (checked few days back) psqft for Aura and 7800/- for Mahindra splendor (checked months back). Possession for splendor is mid 2013 while kalpataru is only Dec 2011. I didnt find any cemetery issue with kalpataru flats.
    CommentQuote
  • As you correctly said both are good quality project. From my research ( I finally booked a flat in splendor ), the key differences :

1. Location is definitely better for Aura, but the entry to ghatkopar from Eastern Expressway can be an issue. Can take nearly 20-25 mins during rush hour.

2. The flats are much more spacious in splendor, compare to aura which has a standard 10 x 12 bedroom size, and smallish lobby / drawing room.

3. Looking at the other mahindra project , and also the sheer number of flats in kalpataru aura, i have a sense that splendour would be better maintained and maybe would have lesser strain on common resources.

4. Kalpataru should be avb by July 2012 , while splendor by July 2013 ( Factoring in the delays ) , so the possession for aura would be a year earlier.
    However, as the first phase of splendor is getting possession in Sep 11, the project should be up and running by the time we get possession.

5. There is obviously a rate difference of 15-20% btw the two projects, so you get more space for similar price in splendour.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ankit501
    As you correctly said both are good quality project. From my research ( I finally booked a flat in splendor ), the key differences :

1. Location is definitely better for Aura, but the entry to ghatkopar from Eastern Expressway can be an issue. Can take nearly 20-25 mins during rush hour.

2. The flats are much more spacious in splendor, compare to aura which has a standard 10 x 12 bedroom size, and smallish lobby / drawing room.

3. Looking at the other mahindra project , and also the sheer number of flats in kalpataru aura, i have a sense that splendour would be better maintained and maybe would have lesser strain on common resources.

4. Kalpataru should be avb by July 2012 , while splendor by July 2013 ( Factoring in the delays ) , so the possession for aura would be a year earlier.
    However, as the first phase of splendor is getting possession in Sep 11, the project should be up and running by the time we get possession.

5. There is obviously a rate difference of 15-20% btw the two projects, so you get more space for similar price in splendour.

Congratulations Ankit on your purchase!

Can you please provide the details of your purchase, the rate, size of the flat, experience with the builder etc. would be very helpful.

Also how do you think is the connectivity from Splendor to the malls, station, hospitals, etc

Thanks!
    CommentQuote
  • One more big difference is Kalpataru increased the mainainance charges of flats from rs.4 to rs.8 midway, forcing everyone to pay. Would you like to go with this kind of builder who wants 90lakhs/month (1173 flats) to maintain just a swimming pool & club house?
    CommentQuote
  • Need some clarifictaion on this "maintenance thing":

1. How long can the builder take maintenance charges?
    2. Cant the members form a society and elect a secretary amongst themselves?
    3. The builder takes 1-2 years maintenance in advance at the time of handing over the possession. Is this legal or is it a practise started by builders (i hope it is not something like carparking charges, where builders are not entitled to charge for it seperately, yet they have made it a standard practice)
    4. What are the obligations of the obligations of the builder for the period for which the building maintenance is with him?
    5. Is he acountable to the inhabitants for the accounts/ expenses of building fund?
    6. Can the building inhabitants outsource the maintenance contract to other developers?
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by rembrants
    Need some clarifictaion on this "maintenance thing":

1. How long can the builder take maintenance charges?
    2. Cant the members form a society and elect a secretary amongst themselves?
    3. The builder takes 1-2 years maintenance in advance at the time of handing over the possession. Is this legal or is it a practise started by builders (i hope it is not something like carparking charges, where builders are not entitled to charge for it seperately, yet they have made it a standard practice)
    4. What are the obligations of the obligations of the builder for the period for which the building maintenance is with him?
    5. Is he acountable to the inhabitants for the accounts/ expenses of building fund?
    6. Can the building inhabitants outsource the maintenance contract to other developers?

Builder can take the maintenance charges till the society is formed. The condition for the society formation is there should be at least 10 members. Society can be formed even before the building is completed but is a tedious task until 'll the members meet & decide among themselves. For this matter, nowadays ppl are too preoccupied with their own work & no one wants responsibility,thatz why builders have their way. Builder has to maintain the building till society is formed & transfer all the leftover collected amount to society accounts but that hardly happens. They do huge manipulations in that amount. Building inhabitants can outsource the maintenance but after forming the society.
    CommentQuote
  • you raise a good point--

Originally Posted by ankilsanghvi
    Builder can take the maintenance charges till the society is formed. The condition for the society formation is there should be at least 10 members. Society can be formed even before the building is completed but is a tedious task until 'll the members meet & decide among themselves. For this matter, nowadays ppl are too preoccupied with their own work & no one wants responsibility,thatz why builders have their way. Builder has to maintain the building till society is formed & transfer all the leftover collected amount to society accounts but that hardly happens. They do huge manipulations in that amount. Building inhabitants can outsource the maintenance but after forming the society.

ok what happens if all the flats are not sold , who pays the maintenance of those flats .. builders does ? or do the existing members have to shell out more money ..?
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by aarem7
    Congratulations Ankit on your purchase!

Can you please provide the details of your purchase, the rate, size of the flat, experience with the builder etc. would be very helpful.

Also how do you think is the connectivity from Splendor to the malls, station, hospitals, etc

Thanks!

I booked a 3 Bedroom, the saleable area was around 1650. The booking was at 7200, think the rates have increased a bit since then.

There is a mall ( magnet mall ) coming right opposite, so the connectivity to mall is good ( maybe too good for comfort ). It's close to both bhandup and kanjurmarg station , both are around 1 km either side.

The experience with builder was good, and fortunately till now have not faced any issues. They have been rather prompt in replying to queries.
    CommentQuote
  • Magnet mall has not really picked up and has only cash n carry stores like Metro.
    The area does not seem to have economic potential to support more malls(Dreams mall too is like a graveyard , builder is losing money there)

Dont know the reason as closeby malls like r-city and nirmal lifestyles are very successfull
    CommentQuote
  • Magnet mall and Dreams have not picked up because they have not been able to attract huge brands. Look at Korum in Thane vs a eternity mall in teen haath naka. They are poles apart primarily because the former has better brands. Coming to the decision I would anyday recommend you Mahindra Splendor. Connectivity I feel both are in hot water because life is hell till you reach EE Hway. Also the area around Kalpataru is not very good so would recommend you go with Mahindra.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ankit501
    I booked a 3 Bedroom, the saleable area was around 1650. The booking was at 7200, think the rates have increased a bit since then.

There is a mall ( magnet mall ) coming right opposite, so the connectivity to mall is good ( maybe too good for comfort ). It's close to both bhandup and kanjurmarg station , both are around 1 km either side.

The experience with builder was good, and fortunately till now have not faced any issues. They have been rather prompt in replying to queries.

Thanks for sharing the information.

Can you please let me know whether there is a lock-in period for the buyer to resell? Asking this as if not, then maybe can get a better price from the investors.
    CommentQuote
  • Thanks guys,its helpful but the discussion is getting one sided. Can we also hear from someone who has bought in Aura? There has to be reasons why people are paying higher there.

Location I believe is a huge swing factor as flats would obviously get more spacious as we go further down.

The EE to LBS connectivity is pathetic in the evening, but that being an only bottleneck , I think its manageable. Coz, most places in suburbs have to live with several bottlenecks.

There is also metro linkage coming up in ghatkopar, not sure how much it helps.

Also, we have a clear winner between r city and magnet mall and then micro issues such as only higher floor and bigger flats are available in splendor making the price eqv with aura, and ofcourse longer delivery is higher uncertainty premium.
    CommentQuote
  • Hi,

I did purchase a flat in Aura. I did purchase it in Feb'10 and was promised a possession in Dec '10. It was then delayed to May. And I still haven't received the possession.
    Between Bhandup and Ghatkoper; I do prefer the Ghatkoper area.
    Since; I 'm from IT industry background; I was looking at a more central location. From Ghatkoper; reaching; Powai, Andheri, Thane, MIDC are much more convenient. Yes; I agree the LBS is usually crowded in the evenings. But I'm sure that will improve once the metro starts.
    We all know; even powai was not developed in 1 day. I still remember how much I hated to go via IIT just to reach powai. So I'm sure with so many malls and development coming up on LBS; eventually the issue will be addressed.

Now; coming to Kalpataru aura. I have mixed feeling. I would not say go with Kalpataru blindly. Yes; the built up is very high. Hence you get a small area to live with. But if you actually visit Kalpataru at any time of day; you really do not feel that outside of that complex; is a very crowded city. Just go and visit any flat which is garden facing and you wont hear a single noise from outside the roads and you do get a good feeling about the whole place. All garden side facing plots don't have an issue of cemetery. And Phase 2 of Aura does not.

As far as the builder goes; yes he can been very tricky to deal with. And I may be happy with the construction but not at all happy with the people whom I have to deal with. As a builder; they are first to hike any rates and are the least friendly people on earth. Will never respond promptly. Sarika and Ram Naik are your worst nightmares. Very friendly while you book the flat but things do change after that. On the other hand; I must say that they must be best employees of Kalpataru. I have never heard of such feedback from any other Kalpataru projects when I had inquired.

If you want to know any specific details; please let me know.

regards
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by meetapk
    Hi,

I did purchase a flat in Aura. I did purchase it in Feb'10 and was promised a possession in Dec '10. It was then delayed to May. And I still haven't received the possession.
    Between Bhandup and Ghatkoper; I do prefer the Ghatkoper area.
    Since; I 'm from IT industry background; I was looking at a more central location. From Ghatkoper; reaching; Powai, Andheri, Thane, MIDC are much more convenient. Yes; I agree the LBS is usually crowded in the evenings. But I'm sure that will improve once the metro starts.
    We all know; even powai was not developed in 1 day. I still remember how much I hated to go via IIT just to reach powai. So I'm sure with so many malls and development coming up on LBS; eventually the issue will be addressed.

Now; coming to Kalpataru aura. I have mixed feeling. I would not say go with Kalpataru blindly. Yes; the built up is very high. Hence you get a small area to live with. But if you actually visit Kalpataru at any time of day; you really do not feel that outside of that complex; is a very crowded city. Just go and visit any flat which is garden facing and you wont hear a single noise from outside the roads and you do get a good feeling about the whole place. All garden side facing plots don't have an issue of cemetery. And Phase 2 of Aura does not.

As far as the builder goes; yes he can been very tricky to deal with. And I may be happy with the construction but not at all happy with the people whom I have to deal with. As a builder; they are first to hike any rates and are the least friendly people on earth. Will never respond promptly. Sarika and Ram Naik are your worst nightmares. Very friendly while you book the flat but things do change after that. On the other hand; I must say that they must be best employees of Kalpataru. I have never heard of such feedback from any other Kalpataru projects when I had inquired.

If you want to know any specific details; please let me know.

regards

Thanks for the insider dope. Delays in possession is an ugly truth of our real estate market, be it aura, splendor, lodha or any other project I have heard of. Some possession stories are even more horrendous. Listening to all your remarks, now both project seem to be overpriced to me. But then even if the choice is only between bad and worse, one has to bite the bullet and strike that great indian compromise somewhere.
    CommentQuote