Have been closely following this forum for last few months and have come across umpteen threads about people complaining about delayed projects. Somewhere, i read today that people who booked flats in 2009, still have only plinth level construction completed. That is awful and completely unexpected. These builders need to know that their names are now out in the open and they cant take people out on a ride anymore. People wont keep falling prey indefinitely. These builders need to be named and shamed in public.

Fortunately i am not one of the victims but do feel strongly about this issue. I havent bought any property as yet.

Could we make a list of projects that have been delayed by more than 18 months.

Could people report projects with some details like

- project name
- Name of builder
- Original expected possession date
- latest revised possession date
- how much % of work is currently complete?
- Do you think the project will be ready on the latest promised possession date?
- were plans changed without informing the customer?
- Do you regret getting into the deal?

Hope people contribute.
Read more
2 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Originally Posted by gautam620
    LOL... It would be a very long list.

Almost ALL projects are delayed by 18+ months...

It is sad to see that people almost expect delays to be normal. This is where I feel that we are partly reponsible for the way builders use/ treat us. Why should we be so apathetic ? Why this helplessness ?

If builders can claim 15-20% penalty for delay in payment then why should 18 months delay be taken lightly? Builders know we will never complain. They will know that people can be squeezed until their last drop of blood and they will happily comply. If people see delays as "NORMAL" then people dont have the right to complain.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Hasmukh
    It is sad to see that people almost expect delays to be normal. This is where I feel that we are partly reponsible for the way builders use/ treat us. Why should we be so apathetic ? Why this helplessness ?

If builders can claim 15-20% penalty for delay in payment then why should 18 months delay be taken lightly? Builders know we will never complain. They will know that people can be squeezed until their last drop of blood and they will happily comply. If people see delays as "NORMAL" then people dont have the right to complain.

Fair point.

But the problem is, contrary to what we would like to believe, builders are not the only party responsible for delays. While there are certainly cases where projects are delayed because of lack of liquidity with the builder, in a large number of cases the delays are due to government policy or regulatory red-tape. Some examples are the inordinate delays in approvals (including changes in approval conditions for projects already under construction). Another prime contributor to the delays is acute shortage of labour over last 3-4 years especially after the government introduced the stupidly structured MNREGA scheme.

I am not suggesting we condone the delays but we should definitely be sensitive to the fact that many delays are beyond the builder's control.
    CommentQuote