I'm an Indian (look, talk act like an Indian) and parents are Indian too.
I was born in London but spent most of my college life in Mumbai.
I recently got married to a US citizen and last year got my US citizenship.

I would like to buy a small flat in Mumbai India.

I would like to know:
- Is it legally possible and how can I approach it?
- I know property prices have increased like crazy since my college years. What are some good websites to research property, don't need anything fancy just want a small flat in Mumbai.
Read more
13 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • If one has a Indian passport then buying real estate here should be possible.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by rdindialife

I would like to know:
    - I know property prices have increased like crazy since my college years. What are some good websites to research property, don't need anything fancy just want a small flat in Mumbai.

PIO can buy residential/commercial property in India.

Go through this link..many queries will get answered

Reserve Bank of India
    CommentQuote

I would like to know:

Balle - Balle bhaai,

Enjoy the US citizonship.

Lucky man --- It seems You don't have much to do there so thinking for India & ...........

God alloted you some good & quality time -- Enjoy that.
    CommentQuote

I would like to know:

Buy in the US while interest rates and property prices are still low. Why do you want to invest in India? Indian economy has slowed down considerable with so signs of picking up again. RE Bubbles are about to Pop in most big cities.

Ghar ki murgi dal barabar
    CommentQuote
  • bol na bhai --- rdindialife

kuch to bata mere yaar.

Hum aapke soanchne ke tareeke se Pareshaaaan ho rahe hain.
    CommentQuote

I would like to know:

Legally possible as a PIO. As for buying, Mumbai property prices are not going anywhere, build good cash reserve in hand. Most important thing is your budget, whether you are interested in parel or palm Beach road, having good cash of at least 80 lacs can earn you discounts of up to 20-30% to the quoted price.

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk HD
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by darkhorse
    Buy in the US while interest rates and property prices are still low. Why do you want to invest in India? Indian economy has slowed down considerable with so signs of picking up again. RE Bubbles are about to Pop in most big cities.

Ghar ki murgi dal barabar

I have to disagree with you. I bought a house in Charleston SC in 1999 for $98900 and today I'll be lucky to get $115000. I bought another (primary residence) in Mt Pleasant SC in 2005 for $350000 which might break even. On the contrary I purchased 3bhk flat in Powai for $76000 in 2006 which I sold last month for $380000. Agreed, I cannot repatriate this money back in to US that easily. You cannot compare real estate of Mumbai to US. Even if the so called bubble bursts in Mumbai there are 14 million people living in that tiny little city who are always looking for a place to live.
    CommentQuote

---------------- You got married to US Citizen more than 3 years and AFTER 3 years you filed for US Citizenship, Went for Interview at Local USCIS office, give answer for 10 questions out of 100 and then passed the test and then took oath and then got the Certificate and May have applied US passport and updated the Social Security office that now you are US Citizen.
    After Getting US Citizenship you may have got OCI for India. You are PIO (Person of India Origion) NRI/POI are treated equall for Bank Accounts and for Property.

-------You CAN buy small or big Flat in Mumbai.

I would like to know:
    ---------------- It is legal. You shoud try to search the Flat New or resale according to the location where you want to buy. You can contact Agents/Brokers in that area they can find a flat for you.
    You should open NRE(Non Resident External Rupee account) with Bank in India (ICICI, HDFC are good) and transfer the Money from US or UK to NRE Bank account in India. Make the Payment for Flat from NRE account Check and keep the Copy of Check with you for your records. once you buy the flat then you have to pay Stamp Duty+ Registration charges +Broker charges if Broker was involved .You have also to go for registration of the Flat.

------You should post the Location name where you are trying to buy the flat. you should also post how much Area of Flat is enough for you and also post how much you are ready to pay. many will help you.
    Good Luck!!

Legally possible as a PIO. As for buying, Mumbai property prices are not going anywhere, build good cash reserve in hand. Most important thing is your budget, whether you are interested in parel or palm Beach road, having good cash of at least 80 lacs can earn you discounts of up to 20-30% to the quoted price.

can u suggest me some property with this discount--in mumbai
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by surya2089
    can u suggest me some property with this discount--in mumbai

Look at the area around khar west, my friend has been offered at 24000 which was quoting 6 months back at 31-32 k, right now this scheme is only for closed circle, but i think of someone comes to table with hard cash its tough to ignore anyone.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ashish18

Im also very interested in this kind of a deal..any good builder offering this I would love to know...
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Anslem
    I have to disagree with you. I bought a house in Charleston SC in 1999 for $98900 and today I'll be lucky to get $115000. I bought another (primary residence) in Mt Pleasant SC in 2005 for $350000 which might break even. On the contrary I purchased 3bhk flat in Powai for $76000 in 2006 which I sold last month for $380000. Agreed, I cannot repatriate this money back in to US that easily. You cannot compare real estate of Mumbai to US. Even if the so called bubble bursts in Mumbai there are 14 million people living in that tiny little city who are always looking for a place to live.

The US went through a "once upon a lifetime" correction between 07-10. The market has been rising steadily since. I bet your US properties were valued handsomly in 05-06 and if you had cashed out then, you would have profited well. India is where the US was back in '07, right now properties are very highly valued, although the macro economics are in the pits: GDP growth at all time low, Rupee at its lowest in years, inflation and interest rates both pretty high.
    Granted there is a huge demand-supply mismatch, and let's say the bubble pops, as it already has in Chennai, am sure you can still sell your house, but not at fancy prices like you did in Powai.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Anslem

Also, Charleston & Mt. Pleasant, SC are not the hottest real estate markets in the US, neither will be. A Mumbai/ Gurgaon equivalent in the US would probably be NYC or the SF Bay Area, which remained "relatively" resistant to price dips during the downturn and as of 2013 bounced back to their pre-crash prices all thanks to investor demand.
    CommentQuote