AAP effect on Mumbai Real Estate

Last updated: January 15 2014
27 | Posts
4043 | Views
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAP effect on Mumbai Real Estate

Wish everyone on this forum a very happy New Year.

I am fascinated with what is happening in Delhi. I just cant believe my eyes and ears. I for one believe that AAP will have a lot of support in Mumbai. People are sick and tired of all the empty promises made by all the parties in the past. If AAP comes to power in Mumbai what effect do you think they will have in Mumbai.
    Will they be able to breakdown the builder-politician-mafia nexus???
    Will real estate prices become realistic again??
    Will agreements become more fair and transparent?
    Will they bring in a strong Real estate ombudsman??
    Will the practice of asking for black component reduce/ stop??

I never thought I could ever think of asking these questions....... but I am beginning to see a ray of light at the end of the tunnel. What do you guys think?

Re : AAP effect on Mumbai Real Estate

Well too much wishful thinking is always good for health and there is nothing wrong in that. Let us keep eye on reality as well. What is happening in Delhi only needs to be seen in proper context? As far as I can see it is only eye wash by taking from one end and giving from another and things being done to fulfill promise on paper rather than spirit. To change fundamental on any society would take long long time and results may not be immediate......Society finds its way out...it is a movement from one level of satisfaction to slightly different level....Rest all will remain more or less changed....Many mentioned things also depends on Central govt policies rather than only state govt. Let us all hope for the best but remain realistic after all these are re branded people from existing parties so what is different fundamentally???

Comment

Many people see this ray of light.But my my way of looking at this development is different.
      Too much expectations on any party will be misplaced.
      AAP will make a difference,but other parties have been on the scene for too long and they will squeeze the party out after some time.
      Blaming political parties for corruption alone is not the way out,we ourselves as individuals have tolerated corruption,added to corruption and now expecting a magic broom to set all ills right will be too much to expect.
      Changes will take place for the better but it is going to be a time consuming and tortuous process.

Comment

I completely agree that things will not and cannot change overnight, over weeks or months - it will take years. I do not expect everything to happen all at once. Yes, it is my (possibly foolish) wishful thinking or rather wishful dreaming like Mungerilal.

But what I am saying is that for once I feel I have the luxury of having a wish and even dreaming of things changing. I agree, we are all part of this rot. We need to change from within. As they say - If you want a change then BE the change. I now see an incentive in being the change. I see a different possibility.

Yes, too many expectations will just break everything. It is up to us to be realistic, patient and keep the faith. Personally, I would be happy even if there is a fraction of a change towards the good.

There is a concept in Psychology called "Learned Helplessness". It happens if people are exposed to adverse/ punitive conditions for a very long time with no way to escape. They develop a belief that things cannot change for the better. In such situations, when there is a real escape actually made available people tend not to take it. I believe that in our society most of us have developed learned helplessness which stops us from seeing the escape route. I hope our society wakes up from this negativistic slumber.

There is a very good chance that the good will be overpowered by the powerful and the corrupt. But then it is up to us try our best not let that happen. Lets hope for the best.

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies". - (Shawshank Redemption)

I just HOPE and that is not a bad thing.

Sorry about the long winded pseudo-philosophical rant!

PEACE.

Comment

I think Hasmukh makes a very important point .. namely that people are sensing hope .. a flicker maybe .. but hope nonetheless .. its like finding an oasis in a desert .. I'm with him

Comment

I guess cleaning the mafia won't be on the hit list , a lot of core issues which impacts the lower/ middle class on a frequent basis will be the prioirity . It will change if aap does good at a national level , but that will also likely result in higher prices . Builders are too smart to take money one way or the other and buyers/ investors are kinda used to the ticket sizes available currently . No harm in paying higher prices with better governance , not expecting a crash or sharp drop in RE.

Comment

Originally posted by Hasmukh View Post
              I completely agree that things will not and cannot change overnight, over weeks or months - it will take years. I do not expect everything to happen all at once. Yes, it is my (possibly foolish) wishful thinking or rather wishful dreaming like Mungerilal.

But what I am saying is that for once I feel I have the luxury of having a wish and even dreaming of things changing. I agree, we are all part of this rot. We need to change from within. As they say - If you want a change then BE the change. I now see an incentive in being the change. I see a different possibility.

Yes, too many expectations will just break everything. It is up to us to be realistic, patient and keep the faith. Personally, I would be happy even if there is a fraction of a change towards the good.

There is a concept in Psychology called "Learned Helplessness". It happens if people are exposed to adverse/ punitive conditions for a very long time with no way to escape. They develop a belief that things cannot change for the better. In such situations, when there is a real escape actually made available people tend not to take it. I believe that in our society most of us have developed learned helplessness which stops us from seeing the escape route. I hope our society wakes up from this negativistic slumber.

There is a very good chance that the good will be overpowered by the powerful and the corrupt. But then it is up to us try our best not let that happen. Lets hope for the best.

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies". - (Shawshank Redemption)

I just HOPE and that is not a bad thing.

Sorry about the long winded pseudo-philosophical rant!

PEACE.
              Well said Hasmukh.

I am hopeful as well.

I think the biggest challenge for AAP in the next few months will be finding genuinely honest people who are in the game with the right intention. There will be a lot of wannabe politicians just looking for a platform and a free hitch hike. I think it is inevitable that they will pick up a few rotten mangos (aam aadmi's) on the way which could tarnish their party which is really in its nascent stage. Other political parties will be just waiting to find a chink in their armour to criticise, malign them and bring them down. It will depend how the public sees it and hopefully they see the bigger picture. They will have to give them TIME - not months but possibly a full term to judge them fairly.

Lets face it - There is no point in me voting for any other party. We all know that they havent acheived/ done any good for the common man in the last 66 years of their Raj. Here is a party which is atleast making the right noises. Lets see if they can walk their talk. There is no harm in giving them a chance. At worst, they cant be anymore corrupt than the present lot of politicians. On the positive side, if they achieve even a fraction of what they set out to do then India will be much better country.

Long term, especially in terms of real estate (all over the country - not just Mumbai) the challenge will definitely be the Mafia - politician nexus. Tackling corruption will inevitably hurt the mafia and make life difficult for them. Without tackling that the nexus, real estate will probably remain the same unless market pressures force them to reduce prices. All the fairness you are looking for will not happen until the grass root corruption is taken care of.

All in all. Let us pray that this is not a mirage and the oasis is within reach in this desert of corruption.

Cheers and Happy New Year 2014 to all IREFites.

Comment

Originally posted by Antfern View Post
                Well said Hasmukh.

I am hopeful as well.

I think the biggest challenge for AAP in the next few months will be finding genuinely honest people who are in the game with the right intention. There will be a lot of wannabe politicians just looking for a platform and a free hitch hike. I think it is inevitable that they will pick up a few rotten mangos (aam aadmi's) on the way which could tarnish their party which is really in its nascent stage. Other political parties will be just waiting to find a chink in their armour to criticise, malign them and bring them down. It will depend how the public sees it and hopefully they see the bigger picture. They will have to give them TIME - not months but possibly a full term to judge them fairly.

Lets face it - There is no point in me voting for any other party. We all know that they havent acheived/ done any good for the common man in the last 66 years of their Raj. Here is a party which is atleast making the right noises. Lets see if they can walk their talk. There is no harm in giving them a chance. At worst, they cant be anymore corrupt than the present lot of politicians. On the positive side, if they achieve even a fraction of what they set out to do then India will be much better country.

Long term, especially in terms of real estate (all over the country - not just Mumbai) the challenge will definitely be the Mafia - politician nexus. Tackling corruption will inevitably hurt the mafia and make life difficult for them. Without tackling that the nexus, real estate will probably remain the same unless market pressures force them to reduce prices. All the fairness you are looking for will not happen until the grass root corruption is taken care of.

All in all. Let us pray that this is not a mirage and the oasis is within reach in this desert of corruption.

Great post . Almost similar to my thoughts - the difference being that i didn't have the time to pen them in so many words .
                Please read IREF rules | FAQ's

Comment

I like your points but not the ending, you said let's pray and that is the biggest change we need to bring in. Let's act instead of Let's pray. AAP is going for easy wins currently.

A lot of lower level corruption can be managed if change ourselves, if set the right values. There is no value system in this country, all this gita, ramayan, puran, mahabharat etc is now left to make tv serials and show more glamorous models than the previous times. The kids grow up watching corruption and our ignorance to the duties to this society and country and thats what they do. How many of us agree ok let's no buy real estate if its all mafia, sasta mila aur sab toot padte hain, you have bought a house and paid off of the EMI but did you teach your kids, friends or whatever that never ever buy a house in this way, only buy on fundamentals or if there is a law. When they grow up seeing you making money just by making an investment on a flat and reap big money which makes your income from job looks dime, they know that this is what they need to do. AAP can fix low level policies, they cant fix society. There is dire need to first change the society and then the politics. Ou social env is too bad, paisa, paisa, paisa, gaadi, makaan, iphone5 liya haan.... kyu ? kyu ki malhotra saab ne bhi le liya.... more than 80% of people above 40 don't even know how to use all features of , smartphone kyu khareed rahe ho ?

With all the due respect for all the good things that the older and mid generation has done, they have made this country a mess, they never stood bold and only compromised and compromised and compromised... the only good thing they did was savings, nothing else.

Originally posted by Antfern View Post
                  Well said Hasmukh.

I am hopeful as well.

Comment

AAP is nothing but a way to confuse common man to vote for Congi B team. Fighting corruption by tying up with Congi .. what a joke.

If you really want development, good roads, 24 hr bijlee, paani, safety and security vote for BJP.

If you want politics of subsidies and reservations, minority appeasement, vote banking, if you support secessionist movements in Kashmir and North East, illegal foreign immigration from BD, and terrorism then vote AAP.
                    Last edited January 5 2014, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                    Working...
                    X