Last updated: May 18 2010
5 | Posts
1986 | Views
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding Mumbai's Real Estate Market

Guys,

I am still not quite sure which way the mumbai Real Estate Market is headed. What I get from News Paper Articles is a perception that the mumbai RE market will keep growing but what I saw in an other thread was a lot of criticism for the same Indian NewsPapers / websites who end up being big time suckers of builders. So how do we find out the truth? In this market where the rates are jacked up every other day, how does a common man afford a house?

A lot of countries publish articles about the inventory in the real estate market and this is not just true to democratic countries but it's also true to non-democratic nations as well. So my question is : Has anyone got hold of a report from Citi or any of these banks who end up giving you a clear picture of the current inventory in different parts of mumbai? I mean wouldnt that give us some direction on where the market is heading and what the demand/supply ratio is? I think the devil is in the details and this is the document that we need to get hold of which suprisingly is very hard to find in a democratic country like india where the governments have no place to hide stuff and especially when it comes to the indian media who spare no shame in bringing issues to light. Now I dont want to get into the argument that the jounalists of our country have become nothing but boot lickers for the top notch builders but what I essentially want to do is get a document that depicts the current inventory in the market?

Can anyone shed some light on any factor that may provide some sort of an indication that the market is either heading up or down?

Thoughts?

Re : Understanding Mumbai's Real Estate Market

Originally posted by donkeykong View Post
    Guys,

I am still not quite sure which way the mumbai Real Estate Market is headed. What I get from News Paper Articles is a perception that the mumbai RE market will keep growing but what I saw in an other thread was a lot of criticism for the same Indian NewsPapers / websites who end up being big time suckers of builders. So how do we find out the truth? In this market where the rates are jacked up every other day, how does a common man afford a house?

A lot of countries publish articles about the inventory in the real estate market and this is not just true to democratic countries but it's also true to non-democratic nations as well. So my question is : Has anyone got hold of a report from Citi or any of these banks who end up giving you a clear picture of the current inventory in different parts of mumbai? I mean wouldnt that give us some direction on where the market is heading and what the demand/supply ratio is? I think the devil is in the details and this is the document that we need to get hold of which suprisingly is very hard to find in a democratic country like india where the governments have no place to hide stuff and especially when it comes to the indian media who spare no shame in bringing issues to light. Now I dont want to get into the argument that the jounalists of our country have become nothing but boot lickers for the top notch builders but what I essentially want to do is get a document that depicts the current inventory in the market?

Can anyone shed some light on any factor that may provide some sort of an indication that the market is either heading up or down?

Thoughts?
    Even if there is excess stock and the prices are unjustified today, it could remain that way for longer than you can wait for a home. The real estate market in Mumbai atleast is linked to the stock market. Every major Stock Market correction has coincided with a Real Estate price correction. And when it comes to predicting the Stock Market movements, for every guy who predicts it'll go up there is one who will predict the other way round. So, unless ur the likes of Warren Buffet or Rakesh Jhunjhunwala ur better off not trying to predict where the market is headed. Just buy what fits ur budget when you can.

Comment

Originally posted by geeee View Post
      Even if there is excess stock and the prices are unjustified today, it could remain that way for longer than you can wait for a home. The real estate market in Mumbai atleast is linked to the stock market. Every major Stock Market correction has coincided with a Real Estate price correction. And when it comes to predicting the Stock Market movements, for every guy who predicts it'll go up there is one who will predict the other way round. So, unless ur the likes of Warren Buffet or Rakesh Jhunjhunwala ur better off not trying to predict where the market is headed. Just buy what fits ur budget when you can.
      Amen ! Yes, people..pls dont try to time your investments .. be it stocks or real estate

Comment

Originally posted by sattebaaz View Post
        Amen ! Yes, people..pls dont try to time your investments .. be it stocks or real estate
        I agree one should buy 1 flat every month. Systematic Investment Plan.
        This way you would avoid impact of price volatility.

Comment

I think my question was more along the lines of the larger picture of the RE market. It has to be a demand supply situation. I am a conservative investor and i was just curious to find out if people had any statistics on hand that I could use.

Comment

Originally posted by wadia View Post
            I agree one should buy 1 flat every month. Systematic Investment Plan.
            This way you would avoid impact of price volatility.
            Yeah after all India is immune to the global woes.. right ?

Comment

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
            Working...
            X