Hi
We are the owner of 2BHK apartment in Thane. We bought this flat just one year ago and initially it was alright but now we are having lot of noise issues from the tenant living above us. We can hear lot of noise furniture movement, sometime untimely work, kid running lot of time during day and late night. I can understand that living in an apartment there ought to be some noise but they are making too much noise.

Initially I knocked back at them on the ceiling whenever I heard too much noise and sometimes when I knocked they probably got the message and then there was no noise. One day there was too much noise and I got so irritated that i started knocking up with force. The person then came down asking the reason for knocking and I told him that they are making too much noise and that I will keep knocking if they do not stop him. We had a normal conversation. He was understanding but was blaming on people above him. I said that is not possible. I knew the noise was coming from their flat but that guy just wanted to give excuses. He promised that they will try and not make noise. Few days it was ok but then it started again. This time I went up and spoke with them. Again the couple started blaming people above them and construction issues. I told them that the noise I hear is from their flat and I also gave them examples etc. So again it was ok for few days and then noise started again. I knocked back a few times, blasted my television to full when I heard the noise just to give them a message. Most times I saw that the noise stopped. Today the kid was running and running after 11 pm. I went up and talked the to guy. They agreed the kid is running but are saying what can we do. Kids will be kids. I told them I understand kids want to play but cant control them especially at late night. The guy was understanding but the woman was arrogant. I told them it is not my fault that I am below them and that they have a kid who wants to run and shout all time. So now I am typing this and there is no noise above. But is there any solution to this problem? I would also like to know if anyone knows how I can record the thumping footstep noise. I tried using recorder or iPhone but it didnt work as the noise is more thumping vibratory noise.
Read more
16 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Hey,
    My friend recently was on the opposite side, his kid was making too much noise...
    Although he lives in US, and was given last warning and all....
    so what he did was got cheap rug/carpet (dari in hindi) and spread it all over hall and main room, so noise is 75% down now, no issues post that..
    So, next time they say kid will be kid, ask them to do this....or change the kid....lol
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by realtime
    Hi
    We are the owner of 2BHK apartment in Thane. We bought this flat just one year ago and initially it was alright but now we are having lot of noise issues from the tenant living above us. We can hear lot of noise furniture movement, sometime untimely work, kid running lot of time during day and late night. I can understand that living in an apartment there ought to be some noise but they are making too much noise.

Initially I knocked back at them on the ceiling whenever I heard too much noise and sometimes when I knocked they probably got the message and then there was no noise. One day there was too much noise and I got so irritated that i started knocking up with force. The person then came down asking the reason for knocking and I told him that they are making too much noise and that I will keep knocking if they do not stop him. We had a normal conversation. He was understanding but was blaming on people above him. I said that is not possible. I knew the noise was coming from their flat but that guy just wanted to give excuses. He promised that they will try and not make noise. Few days it was ok but then it started again. This time I went up and spoke with them. Again the couple started blaming people above them and construction issues. I told them that the noise I hear is from their flat and I also gave them examples etc. So again it was ok for few days and then noise started again. I knocked back a few times, blasted my television to full when I heard the noise just to give them a message. Most times I saw that the noise stopped. Today the kid was running and running after 11 pm. I went up and talked the to guy. They agreed the kid is running but are saying what can we do. Kids will be kids. I told them I understand kids want to play but cant control them especially at late night. The guy was understanding but the woman was arrogant. I told them it is not my fault that I am below them and that they have a kid who wants to run and shout all time. So now I am typing this and there is no noise above. But is there any solution to this problem? I would also like to know if anyone knows how I can record the thumping footstep noise. I tried using recorder or iPhone but it didnt work as the noise is more thumping vibratory noise.

The best thing to do is report the same to the society office / society council. Then they will take the matter to the land lord.

And that should fix it.
    CommentQuote
  • realtime; Hey I feel you should ask the society members to issue a letter regarding informing the tenants to maintain peace. Furniture movement do make a lot of noise i consider but i feel asking the tenants to spread a carpet can help solve the issue.

velrab; what happens in case they refuse to stop and complain for banging the cieling.....
    CommentQuote
  • There is a serious issue about the housing societies in Mumbai. They have lot of power ( unfortunately).

One way to deal with is , to show the society council live - when the guys above you cause nuisance, call a society member and show it live. The other way is simply call the police. That should fix the matter. Lodge a formal complaint against the nuisance causing party and make the society council a witness. No. They can not make you vacate your apartment. Law does not allow it. The president of the council will be in prison if he does that.
    CommentQuote
  • Mumbai : How to Deal with Noisy Neighbours?

Hi

We are living in a new apartment located in Thane west. When we purchased this flat we had in mind of buying a flat on high floor so as to escape ground floor noise and commotion. Although it is not bad I am surprised that even on higher floor the noise in Mumbai is annoying. Adding to that are noisy neighbours. Especially the neighbours who are tenants. I have nothing against people who come from outside Mumbai for work or any other reason and rent a flat. My problem is most of the time I notice these tenants do not care for the property. They use is roughly and damage the property most of the time. It is not their money and property so they don't care if it is damaged. And I am not saying all tenants are like that but most of them I have seen are like that. I notice that my neighbour who is a tenant always bang their door where as if you own the property you will not do it as you know you have paid for it. Their door frame has come out due to this and we have be bear the banging noise. But this is the common attitude among our fellow Indians. I am not sure why but it is true.

But my major problem is the neighbour above us. Unfortunately for me they are also tenants so they are least bothered about damage to property. I notice they make lot of noise during day and night. Constant furniture movement and banging. They also have a kid who plays and make lot of noise. The kid runs all time and it makes loud banging noise and vibrates the ceiling and walls. Even the adults seem to walk loudly so loud that I can hear their footsteps. I am surprised that I am hearing such noises in a new apartment and with concrete floors. Then at times it feels like they are doing some work which creates noises on floor. Overall it feels like we are not living in an apartment but under a busy workshop. I have complained to them three times and still there is lot of noise. I really do not want to involve police as it can be time consuming and going to court involves time and money.

What can I do about them? Our society is yet to be formed so I cannot make a complaint to society.
    CommentQuote
  • Hi,

Even if the tenants don't care i am sure the owners will care about damaged door frames. Try recording the noise and talk with owners with proof.

As far as child noise is concerned , i remember somone talking in this forum about cheap rugs which reduce the noise. Provide this option to the tenant.

Last but not least , try sending letters to both owners & tenants about the noise , its disturbance. Ensure the tone of letter is gentle & polite & not threatening. In my experience , a letter will keep them in suspense about your next move and hopefully peace will prevail.

Thanks.
    CommentQuote
  • if nothing works, buy a loud music system and you also enjoy, with earplug in your ears.

sometimes revenge works!!!
    CommentQuote
  • I am also facing similar issues with some 40 dogs barking on the road next to my bedroom, while I am on 7th floor.
    Can I get them sorted one at a time ? Job for 40 weeks at max ?
    CommentQuote
  • I am sure they owners must be aware of the rough usage of the flats, I mean why would you make a investment unless you want to follow it up and take care of it. Unless the owners are filthy rich and don't care.
    I am thinking about wiring the letter as you suggested. Thanks for reply.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by nidhu299
    if nothing works, buy a loud music system and you also enjoy, with earplug in your ears.

sometimes revenge works!!!

I know I do it a lot of time. Whenever the kid makes lot of running noise or the tenants make noise I blast my television on full volume and it is with great sound quality. Many times I have noticed that when I make the volume full they kind of get the message and within few minutes the noise is gone. But my problem is how many times I am going to do that and I am worried that other neighbours getting troubled by this. Though until now no one has questioned and even if they question I have valid reason and explanation. I agree with you some people just need tit for tat.
    CommentQuote
    1 Comments
    • gunda.chupi2 years ago
      Even I do the same... i raised the issue in society meeting, and they said that they are irritated by the high volume of my music system... i told them i did it because they do not control their kids... the society people answered, kids will do that, i will have to tolerate it... on top of that, my upoer floor neighbour is the owner of that flat... i hate loud music, as it causes disturbance for others too... but i have no idea, i what i should do now...
  • This problem is common with every other person these days, even where i stay there one family stay in upper floor and the man is mentally ill so whenever he gets the mental attack he start hitting walls, floor, windows whatever he gets he just hit it which really make noise and feels like floor is going to come down now. I really don't know what to tell them as the family members are also affected by it.
    CommentQuote
  • i am also facing the same issue and not sure if there is any legal person here who can help
    CommentQuote
  • I staying at Shree CHSL., Keshajee Nagar, B.P. Road, Bhandup (W) Mumbai-78.

From last six month I am facing the same issue. We had been staying here since 2002 and we never faced such type of problem. The member staying above me is also staying for last 14 year and having senior citizen.

I had filed a written complaint with the Society and had a discussion in AGM too and the lady of the house told that she won't be doing but for next 4 days she didn't do any banging. But after having AGM in Sept 18 till today she is continuously doing banging as if some construction work is caried on. This always takes place at late night after 9 pm sometimes they are doing at 12 pm. And the society members are helpless as this family is not able to understand anything what they say. As far as we understand this is being done intentionally to harm us. Pls advice what needs to be done further as it is creating a health issue and each and every member of my family is disturbed.
    CommentQuote
  • This is a tit for tat solution.

I had a wireless bluetooth speaker which i taped to the ceiling and played high bass music or sometimes ****(live alone so don't care) whenever i left for office. So what do you think happened after that. They found a way to keep it quiet after that. :)
    CommentQuote
  • I am facing Same problem . after telling committe member the guy who staying on upper flat not scared . and saying that it is my home and i can do anything.

please tell me how you come out of this problem. is there any solution to comes out we file police complient also but no actionwas taken.
    CommentQuote