Anybody who is yet to pay property tax to MCD in Delhi. Don't pay it online through credit card or debit card. Or you may suffer like me.

I paid my property tax through my Debit card. But MCD did not provide Receipt for payment. I contacted my bank and they said transaction has been completed. I contacted MCD, they have asked me to write letter to "Assessor and collector" along with Bank statement to prove that transaction is made. Only then they will update their record and give me receipt for payment.

Remember that Receipt for payment is very important.

Last year MCD sent me notice that their records have been destroyed so i must submit Receipt of Property tax payments of last 10 years. Fortunately i kept all the records and sent them to MCD.

Anybody who wants to pay Property tax should do it through ITZ cash card. Dealer charges commission of around 100 Rupees. But its safe and good.

MCD website crashes during transaction. Full of lags and errors. Your transaction may not complete properly and you will be stuck like me.
Read more
37 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Not experienced such an issue yet . Paid online for my 2 Properties in Delhi in April & everything went smoothly .

So, website crashing during transaction could be a temporary issue .

Originally Posted by Bharatiya
    Anybody who is yet to pay property tax to MCD in Delhi. Don't pay it online through credit card or debit card. Or you may suffer like me.

I paid my property tax through my Debit card. But MCD did not provide Receipt for payment. I contacted my bank and they said transaction has been completed. I contacted MCD, they have asked me to write letter to "Assessor and collector" along with Bank statement to prove that transaction is made. Only then they will update their record and give me receipt for payment.

Remember that Receipt for payment is very important.

Last year MCD sent me notice that their records have been destroyed so i must submit Receipt of Property tax payments of last 10 years. Fortunately i kept all the records and sent them to MCD.

Anybody who wants to pay Property tax should do it through ITZ cash card. Dealer charges commission of around 100 Rupees. But its safe and good.

MCD website crashes during transaction. Full of lags and errors. Your transaction may not complete properly and you will be stuck like me.
    CommentQuote
  • I got my lesson. Don't trust the MCD.

I can't even file Grievance online. In Grievance section, you can only select 3 options - Cheque, Credit Card and Cash. There is no option to file Grievance for Debit card transaction. In case of problem with transaction through Axis Bank/HDFC Gateway, contact numbers are also given. I tried calling them. It says number does not exist. Email ID of Assessor and Collector is also given. I sent email. But next day i got a mail back from yahoo automated service saying email could not be delivered. This happens when email id is wrong.

So they have given wrong contact number and email ids (possible very old and never updated). I tried calling the contact number of Assesor and collector office. No one picks phone. But after multiple attempts, someone answered. He explained me to write letter to Collector zonal office along with copy of Bank statement. Then they will look into the matter.

Though i did notice, that site is working somewhat better today. Last week when i filed my tax. Site was giving repeated errors of server overload etc.
    CommentQuote
  • Well, that was pretty bad but the thing is that government sites are bound to crash owing to the amount of traffic witnessed, which is very high at times. Even with the best of technological advancements it still does happen with some big names too.
    CommentQuote
  • I paid my property tax at night expecting that there will be less traffic. Its not about traffic, its about their faulty MCD website.

I pay online for Electricity, Water, Gas, Telephone etc etc. But never had any problem due to traffic even during peak hours.
    CommentQuote
  • Bhartiya; - it is a case to case thing - but yes, faulty websites owing to cheap software etc. could be one of the reasons too!
    CommentQuote
  • Never faced any issue in paying it online , as they themselves promote it by providing additional rebate .
    If any such issue happens with govt agency then its same story everywhere , you struggle for long .
    But yes keeping online receipts by taking printout is very very important as they dont make entry into their registers .
    Recently I visited the MCD office & they had no receipt for last 10 yrs & I was shocked to learn how govt agencies function in capital of this corrupt country .
    CommentQuote
  • Update on situation. EDMC is not doing anything. They said 3 weeks ago that property tax Receipt will be updated online soon. But nothing happened so far. No one is picking the phone at MCD office.

I think i have to go to EDMC Collector office to solve the problem.
    CommentQuote
  • EDMC online portal has gone down. Are they revising rates?

Untitled Document
    CommentQuote
  • Updates.

If you're paying your property tax through Debit card. Please note that MCD has no mechanism to track your payment. So if you did not get the receipt, you never will as MCD doesn't keep track of Debit card payment. Only credit card payment can be accounted for.
    CommentQuote
  • I have made complaint in PG cell about this issue and there are positive developments. I will update when i get more clarity.
    CommentQuote
  • @Bharatiya did you manage to get the credit reflected against the tax paid, any updates and lessons learned
    CommentQuote
  • Yes sir, i got the return after several complaints at PG Portal.
    CommentQuote
    1 Comments
    • Bharatiya3 years ago
      I sent copy of Account statement / Pass book entry to MCD collector office showing deduction of property tax. Then i got return back from MCD. I paid property tax again online choosing different payment gateway and this time my receipt was generated, fortunately.
  • Originally Posted by Bharatiya
    Yes sir, i got the return after several complaints at PG Portal.

Was it PG portal of Government of India. Then I wonder how things will improve if we will have to file complaints only at PG portal of GOI.

I live in UP and I have noticed, untill or unless, I make a complaint to PG portal, things start moving, else they dont care. This PG portal is being monitored by PMO directly. Though I am happy that atleast someone is monitoring and ours complaints can be resolved, but it is also worrying me. After all why lower level officers (at state as well as center level) are not improving themselves. Why they need a kick on their ass from PMO only.
    CommentQuote
  • i completely agree with you Mr @Bharatiya paying property tax through inter net is a nightmare . I am currently going through the same ordeal . on 29th of last month I paid our property tax through internet . i had used the axix bank gateway & paid my due amount through my debit card , but didn't get any receipt . my banker confirmed me that my bank account has been debited , yet from SDMC I am yet to get any intimation . and now I am stuck like you . I tried writing /talking to concerned person of SDMC through the contact no / email ID (which I discovered after considerable research from the site ) , but both turned out to be incorrect/ fake . I had even approached axix bak , who clearly said that they cannot help in this matter . I really do not know what to do now . ahead this week I shall approach the SDMC office but I am having serious doubts about their intervention in solving this matter .
    what annoys me is that the government on one hand displays so much enthusiasm suggesting / nudging all to use digital mode of payment , yet the basic payment systems are not in place in govt offices , is this all show off or government is really serious about switching to digital mode. I had faced a similar problem with Delhi jal board last year . I made a payment but till date I have not received the "receipt for same
    CommentQuote
  • You should have used other gateway. I was also stuck with Axis bank gateway last time (my case it was EDMC). By the way, before paying any dues online on any website, first make sure that site is working properly (check if there aren't any delay in loading times, page not found errors, time out errors, slowdown in browsing etc). After you are satisfied that website is working properly, only then you should pay your dues.

Contact SDMC Collector office which is responsible for property tax collection. Write a letter to collector, enclose copy of Pass book entry/Bank statement of deduction. Make sure you get a receiving. I searched on internet and managed to find correct telephone numbers of collector office of my zone. You can also try it.

Also file an online complaint at pgportal. Make sure you mention your property id and all relevant details. Keep filing reminders on pgportal if nothing happens. Complaint on pgportal did solved my problem but it took 4 months.
    CommentQuote