Hello all,

We are desperate state and need urgent help. My father rented a small shop and opened a book shop in 1970. He supported his family through sole earning from the book shop. In 2010, the landlord sold the piece of property (including our rented shop) to a property dealer. This year the property dealer filed a case against us to evict the property because he has a bonafide need.

The property is in a super prime location but, because of rent control act my father was and has been paying very less rent (we pay Rs 10000 vs Rs 200,000 per month for comparable properties). We have been paying rent regularly without any delay. Trouble is that if our family lose this ship, we do not have any other source of income to support us. The property dealer has 10-12 properties across Delhi and there is no evidence that there is a bonafide need for him. In fact, if there is need it is actually our family who need this rented shop badly.

We are also not in a position to pay the high rent. Is there any solution from the tenant side. Currently the case is on the lower court - and everyone in our family remains distressed because we don't how to deal with this big property dealer. Please advise. Thank you all in advance.
Read more
11 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • It is because of people like you that owners suffer. You think that it is your privilege that you can live on the hard work of others. You harassed the owner and he sold the property at a lower price to a dealer. For 40 years you have been enjoying the fruits of lower rent. Why didn't you save for your future ? Get out immediately it is not yours.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by sachwv
    Hello all,

We are desperate state and need urgent help. My father rented a small shop and opened a book shop in 1970. He supported his family through sole earning from the book shop. In 2010, the landlord sold the piece of property (including our rented shop) to a property dealer. This year the property dealer filed a case against us to evict the property because he has a bonafide need.

The property is in a super prime location but, because of rent control act my father was and has been paying very less rent (we pay Rs 10000 vs Rs 200,000 per month for comparable properties). We have been paying rent regularly without any delay. Trouble is that if our family lose this ship, we do not have any other source of income to support us. The property dealer has 10-12 properties across Delhi and there is no evidence that there is a bonafide need for him. In fact, if there is need it is actually our family who need this rented shop badly.

We are also not in a position to pay the high rent. Is there any solution from the tenant side. Currently the case is on the lower court - and everyone in our family remains distressed because we don't how to deal with this big property dealer. Please advise. Thank you all in advance.

Sir, it is quite clear that you/your family do not depend on income from this shop. Else , a property whose rent is , in your own words, 2 Lakhs must be generating an income which would be at least 2 times the rent that others are paying for comparable properties. You are a rich man , who is out here just to get some points for you court case.
    CommentQuote
  • why after 40 years? he should have done it earlier.
    CommentQuote
  • You should asap. Thank God that you have not been thrown out.
    CommentQuote
  • How your tenant can legally become the owner of your property
    Legally possession nine point in law out of ten.
    Morally It is another question.
    CommentQuote
  • Hi sachvw, i can understand the anxiety that you face,do not worry things can be sorted out..
    CommentQuote
  • Case of a Helpless Landlord

Originally Posted by sachwv
    Hello all,

This seems like a typical case of a helpless landlord and a selfish tenant like yours. Reading through your story was nothing less than going through a bunch of crap and whats more funny is that you expect people to sympathize with you? Guess you have no shame left in you. You should thank your stars that the landlord is still taking the legal route to get you thrown out. In all honesty, people like you deserve a much more insulting treatment.
    CommentQuote
  • Ulta Chor kotwaal ko daante..
    CommentQuote
  • Here are some tips a tenant could follow to avoid eviction:

Rent on time

Known to be one of the common reasons for eviction, a tenant should be careful of paying their rent on time. A delay? Inform your landlord beforehand and let them know the deadline by when you will be able to pay. In case you have already received an eviction letter, contact your landlord and see if you can still pay up and if he could take back the letter.

Know the rules of the agreement

It is suggested that a tenant reads the lease agreement. This ensures that he is well-versed with the rules he needs to follow and the rights he enjoys. The agreement will help you know what you have to do and not to do as a tenant. Follow the rules and keep yourself away from eviction. For instance, do not damage the property, do not sub-let it or use for commercial purposes and also, know the pet rules stated by the landlord.

Move the court

In case you have already been given an eviction notice by the landlord stating the reason, you could still move the courts. Moreover, if you think you have evidence and proof to fight your case, you may even win the case and eliminate the eviction. India is known to have pro-tenant rental laws.

Take in the landlord's suggestion

When a landlord sends an eviction letter, he is asked to suggest a way to eliminate eviction. For instance, if you have damaged the property, he may suggest you pay a partial or full sum for the repair. In case you agree to the landlord's suggestion, he can take back the eviction. Same holds for cases like delay in rent, sub-letting and commercial use, too. All you have to do is stop these practices.
    CommentQuote
  • You should use the judiciary to drag the case on and on.

Great going btw. So
    CommentQuote
  • Quick update on the above: The case is still on. My father who is now 77 years old continues to fight the case as the tenant. Our family is dependent on the income of the shop. I read some of the replies above - who support the landlord. I understand where you may be coming from but here is what I have to say.

1. My father's business is a physical book store that has an annual revenue of Rs. 10 lakh is fighting a landlord, who has overall properties worth Rs. 100 crore. This is truly David vs Goliath story.
    2. Delhi's Rent Control Act was established precisely to safeguard predatory landlords from evicting good tenants who pay their rents in time. Rent Control Act is fairly common thing in major cities of the world. Please look it up (I am referring to commercial properties)
    3. When a landlord (any landlord) buys a property, they are suppose to sign a deal with all tenants. Look up what toll brothers did while buying good properties in NYC. They had to pay millions to the tenants who had been living in the properties for 50+ years.
    4. The landlord in question is specifically shrewd. There have been several cases of him paying partial amount of money (token money) to 'sellers', getting the property registered under his name and then never paying up the remaining amount. I am more than happy to disclose his name here.
    5. My father is a simple man. He actually bought the property in 1967 for Rs. 1000 but never really formalized it. Nevertheless, happy to hear arguments from people who are supporting the corrupt landlord.

I know what the landlord is waiting for. He also owned a similar property down the road (Bungalow Road, New Delhi). He promised the tenant Rs. 1.5 crore to evict the property. (Overall property value was Rs.12 crore). 2 years went by and the landlord never paid up. After 2 years, the tenant accidentally died without leaving anything for his family. Do you know how much the landlord paid tenant's family? Instead of the originally promised Rs.1.5 crore - he paid Rs. 3 lacs. Yup. This is the kind of guy we are dealing with. Any advice will be helpful.
    CommentQuote