NEW DELHI: After a year-long delay, the Delhi-Meerut expressway project will kick off by this month-end.

The drive from Delhi to Meerut will take just 45 minutes once the Delhi-Meerut Expressway is ready. The tender for the project will be up for bidding in next few weeks and the 64-km long expressway is likely to be completed by 2015.

In what will be a major relief to 1.31 lakh passenger cars plying between Delhi and Ghaziabad border, the first 8km of the expressway from Nizamuddin Bridge to Ghaziabad border will have 16 lanes.

As per the final plan, the expressway will cover 28km of NH-24 between Ghaziabad border and Dasna and this stretch will be widened to 14 lanes from present six lanes. After this, a 36-km stretch between Dasna and Meerut will be constructed as a four-lane highway. At present, it takes over two-and-a-half hours to commute between Delhi and Meerut due to the congestion on NH-58 which passes through Ghaziabad, Muradnagar and Modi Nagar.

The project was scheduled to be awarded in the last financial year. The central government had conceptualized the corridor five years ago to provide nonstop connectivity between the two cities as a part of the National Highway Development Programme (NHDP)-VI. Though earlier, there was a proposal to widen the existing NH-58 to eight lanes, later the National Highways Authority of India replaced it with the plan to construct the expressway, partially on a new alignment.

The NHAI has already finalized the alignment. Sources said the land acquisition process for this project is under way. Highways ministry officials said the tender would be floated soon and the project would be awarded by November this year.

"This project will transform the way lakhs of people commute between Delhi and Meerut. We are awarding the expressway as a part of a package that includes construction of a six-lane road between Delhi border and Meerut bypass, besides a connecting road and a children's park. The composite project will improve the connectivity to the expressway," said minister of state for road transport and highways, Jitin Prasad.

All four packages of the project would cost close to Rs 4,500 crore. The expressway would be an access controlled highway and all traffic signals and crossings would be done away with. Besides this, all slow-moving traffic including two-wheelers and three-wheelers would not be allowed to ply on the expressway. The speed limit on the expressway will be 90kmph.
Read more
53 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Aren't we hearing this news for last 10 years? So, what's different 'this' time?

Metro to Meerut, 45-min express to Meerut, Bullet Train to Meerut, Monorail to meerut. Meanwhile, the actual travel time to meerut has increased by 50% in last 10 years due to jams in Modinagar and Muradnagar.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by jaideepsr
    Hi,

Cat you guys update me about the Exact route... The route which i am understaning here seems very difficult to vacate and build an express way...

the first 8km of the expressway from Nizamuddin Bridge to Ghaziabad border will have 16 lanes...will lead to lot of breaking of houses and markets...

As per the final plan, the expressway will cover 28km of NH-24 between Ghaziabad border and Dasna and this stretch will be widened to 14 lanes from present six lanes... At present even widening it to 8 Lanes is looking challenging, only God and GDA can tell how will they do it..So many unauthorized colonies on both sides of NH24 in Noida and Gzb...

Jaideep

Dont know but elevated expressway could be an answer to this ..NH-8 near mahipalpur on Gurgaon border is all elevated ...
    CommentQuote
  • Dude even an elevated highway of 14-16 lanes will involve breaking of lot of houses, buildings, markets... On top of that, we have high tension poles and wires running almost parellel to the highway.. 16 lanes is just double of GGN highway...

Originally Posted by replyanupam
    Dont know but elevated expressway could be an answer to this ..NH-8 near mahipalpur on Gurgaon border is all elevated ...
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by jaideepsr
    Dude even an elevated highway of 14-16 lanes will involve breaking of lot of houses, buildings, markets... On top of that, we have high tension poles and wires running almost parellel to the highway.. 16 lanes is just double of GGN highway...

10 lanes will be elevated , other lanes will be as service lane below of it to save TOLL TAX for Main Ghaziabad , Vasundhara , IP , Vaishali , Mohan Nagar Residence.
    CommentQuote
  • CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by saurabh2011

The National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) will soon issue tenders to build the Delhi-Meerut expressway.
    The 64km-long Delhi-Meerut expressway is estimated to cost about INR45bn ($1bn) and will reduce travel time from Delhi to Meerut in the state of Uttar Pradesh to 45 minutes from two-and-a-half hours.
    The first 8km of the expressway from Nizamuddin Bridge to Ghaziabad border will have 16 lanes.
    NHAI intends to award the project by November this year.
    NHAI has already commenced the land acquisition process for the project, which is scheduled to be completed by 2015.
    CommentQuote
  • Mungeri lal ke hasin sapane !!!
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by trojanhorse
    Mungeri lal ke hasin sapane !!!

:D :D :D , Waise 8 Saal pahele to Sapna ye bhi tha ki DELHI METRO Noida/Ghaziabad pahuch jayege par jab yahe sapna pura ho gaya to kuach aur haseen spane dekh lene mai koi burai nahe hai. Waise kuch logo nai he sapne mai socha hoga ki Vaishali mai 100 Yard ka plot 1 Caror+ ka ho jayga par ho gaya na aaj.

Please do not mind, when only on 100% dream lots of plots has been sold in YEW / GN then at least here around this proposed express way not all other basic public needs are not only in dreams, so this dream is not as risky as YEW for sure.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by replyanupam
    The National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) will soon issue tenders to build the Delhi-Meerut expressway.
    The 64km-long Delhi-Meerut expressway is estimated to cost about INR45bn ($1bn) and will reduce travel time from Delhi to Meerut in the state of Uttar Pradesh to 45 minutes from two-and-a-half hours.
    The first 8km of the expressway from Nizamuddin Bridge to Ghaziabad border will have 16 lanes.
    NHAI intends to award the project by November this year.
    NHAI has already commenced the land acquisition process for the project, which is scheduled to be completed by 2015.

Its a distant dream. Think about the number of illegal establishment along the NH24. Given its an election year no party would dare to touch that. Even otherwise its not easy to acquire shops or establishment in a normal year too. Its not going to happen anytime soon.
    CommentQuote
  • NH-24 will be 36 lane in 2050.

He He He.......:D:D:D
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Pradyot1315sqf
    NH-24 will be 36 lane in 2050.

He He He.......:D:D:D

its alignment from nzm flyover to dasna is along NH 24 bypass not NH 24. Bypass road presently has 4 lanes and huge green belt on both side all along the alignment. i dont see major problem in executing this project . and from dasna until meerut it going to be a new green field highway cutting across farmlands thus again not a major issue.
    CommentQuote
  • Every project looks "Mungeri Lal ke sapne" in the begining but do you feel things will improve without these initiatives and planning. The way infra has impoved in Delhi/NCR, I believe on these announcements and wait for the day when we will be travelling by this route one day.

We cannot say that everything which was in papers a few years back is still on papers.

I agree there were some previous announcements but these are coming through proper plannings and approvals. I hope NCR planning board has started their role and we will see few more such projects in NCR region.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by nkg_8
    Every project looks "Mungeri Lal ke sapne" in the begining but do you feel things will improve without these initiatives and planning. The way infra has impoved in Delhi/NCR, I believe on these announcements and wait for the day when we will be travelling by this route one day.

We cannot say that everything which was in papers a few years back is still on papers.

I agree there were some previous announcements but these are coming through proper plannings and approvals. I hope NCR planning board has started their role and we will see few more such projects in NCR region.

I kind of believe it this time , since this was the initial plan before NH-24 widening was started as a stop gap. Just NH-24 widening would not have helped and only an expressway would have helped in a long term ..As residents of NCR , lets hope this sees reality and to begin with , atleast dare to dream ...only then reality comes in ..sometimes sweet sometimes sour ...
    CommentQuote
  • Proposed route is approx 10 KM extra then current Delhi-Meerut connectivity, so this project only makes sence if it is non stop high speed expressway and reduce reasonable time.

I invested in meerut near hapur road, that time I heared a very big project is on the way by UP Avas Vikas on meerut to Hapur road. Also I headed that talks were going on for Hupur road widening project approx a year back.

This will open new land bank on the both side of the expressway and UP govt seems hungry for the same.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by anubhaviit
    its alignment from nzm flyover to dasna is along NH 24 bypass not NH 24. Bypass road presently has 4 lanes and huge green belt on both side all along the alignment. i dont see major problem in executing this project . and from dasna until meerut it going to be a new green field highway cutting across farmlands thus again not a major issue.

I think Anubhav you are completely right - It is NH-24 bypass and there is ample space on its sides. Btw, when tender will be awarded, there is 99% probability of it being constructed. It is not fair to compute something which is in plans and the thing for which tenders have been awarded :)
    CommentQuote